Sam Rogers, the Rams’ ‘nonstop ball of butcher knives,’ is putting in long hours at training camp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
There’s still a month to go before the start of the regular season, but as of now, Rams rookie fullback Sam Rogers seems to be headed toward a spot on the 53-man roster. His combination of special-teams intensity, blocking and ability to catch the ball out of the backfield makes him an intriguing option.
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/08/0...in-long-hours-at-training-camp/#disqus_thread
By Rich Hammond | rhammond@scng.com | Orange County Register
PUBLISHED: August 8, 2017 at 3:58 pm | UPDATED: August 8, 2017 at 5:19 pm
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/08/0...es-is-putting-in-long-hours-at-training-camp/
IRVINE — If the Rams locked their practice field, rookie fullback Sam Rogers would need a key. What’s the football version of a gym rat? A gridiron gopher?

The Rams raised some eyebrows in April when they drafted Rogers in the sixth round out of Virginia Tech. A fullback? In a modern NFL offense? Rogers seems to have set out, through the quality and quantity of his work, to prove during this training camp that he can have a role with the Rams in 2017.

Rogers typically is the first Rams player on the field for practice – 45 minutes early – and also one of the last. A mention of that fact this week, though, drew a purposeful look from Rogers’ intense blue eyes.

“It’s not like a publicity stunt or anything like that,” Rogers said after a recent practice. “I just try to get out here and work on some things. It’s just my way of getting ready.”

It seems to be working. There’s still a month to go before the start of the regular season, but as of now, Rogers seems to be headed toward a spot on the 53-man roster. Rogers’ combination of special-teams intensity, blocking and ability to catch the ball out of the backfield makes him an intriguing option.

There’s also a certain intangible about Rogers. A former college coach once referred to him as “a nonstop ball of butcher knives,” which is a bizarre but oddly accurate way to describe Rogers’ style of play.

Listed at 5-foot-10, 235 pounds, Rogers is neither the strongest nor fastest player on the field, but his straight-ahead, run-you-over intensity might make a defender think twice about standing in front of him.

It’s unlikely that the Rams will use Rogers as a lead blocker for Todd Gurley, but it’s possible that Rogers could emulate some of the roles filled by Benny Cunningham last year. Cunningham had only 21 carries last season but caught 16 passes.

In his four-year career at Virginia Tech, Rogers totaled 802 receiving yards (and seven touchdowns) compared to 692 rushing yards (and four touchdowns).

“I’ll do whatever they ask me to do,” Rogers said. “I’m here to help the team in any way I can, whether that’s special teams or blocking or catching or running. The goal for me is just to be as versatile as possible, so that they can use me in any way they see fit. So I try to be ready to do whatever.”

If there’s any question about Rogers’ spot on the roster at the end of the preseason schedule, special teams could tilt things in his favor. Coach Sean McVay retained assistant John Fassel, who since 2012 has overseen one of the NFL’s most aggressive and successful special-teams units.

Rogers is a natural at special teams. It’s inherent and not necessarily something he needs to improve in practice. But there is Rogers, on the field early every day, working on his ball skills.

“During camp,” Rogers said, “there’s not as many hours and not as much time where you can feel like you’re getting ahead, because everything is so scheduled. Any time I can feel like I’m getting ahead in any way, I try to do that. If I can come out here 45 minutes early and work on a few things.”

GETTING TOGETHER

The Rams did not practice Tuesday, but they will host the Chargers in a joint practice at UC Irvine on Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. The practice is free to the public, but there is an on-campus parking fee.

The contract holdout of defensive lineman Aaron Donald reached its 11th day Tuesday, and Donald’s opportunities to get reacclimated with teammates are dwindling. The Rams will practice again Thursday, then have a Friday walk-through before Saturday’s preseason opener against the Coliseum. The Rams are not scheduled to practice Sunday.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'll admit it: I questioned the Rogers pick at first. But I've warmed up to him after reading more and seeing how hard he worked to get where he is. And he is extremely versatile.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There were other players I wanted there, that's for sure. But it's pretty clear they hit on this guy big time. I worry that he'll get dinged up since he's kinda small, but this dude can straight ball. Catches it in stride naturally, sneaky athleticism running, physical. Outstanding fit for this offense.

I'll bet on Saturday he'll get some first half play calls and make the most of them.