Sam Released

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
I was answering your question (with a question) about "what about the other 7th rd picks we let go". If Sam played as good as he could and still couldn't make the team (which he did, and didn't), it makes me think we could have used that pick at another position that doesn't have as much depth.
The Rams probably deemed him the BPA at that point in the 7th round, and if they didn't have any players at a higher position of need within his draft range, that's why they took him over players at other positions.

Anyways, Sam would've made the team if it wasn't for Westbrooks who we picked up after the draft. Any way you look at it, Sam was far from a wasted draft pick if that's what you're trying to imply, especially if he ends up on our PS. Not even sure if any player picked that late in the draft could even be considered a wasted draft pick, tbh.

fancents86

Starter
I say wasted bc I think we could have kept him and used him as trade bait. I think we can all agree he was a steal as a 7th rd, so if he gets picked up we get nothing for him. Now if he doesn't, then it's a win for us.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If I thought Justice Cunningham gave this team a better shot at winning, I'd be for it, but ol' Manos de Piedra didn't do anything Harkey couldn't have done.

And looking forward, I just don't see the upside on giving away a young player with talent (at ANY position, btw, just because we kept Westbrooks and he flashed substantial skill doesn't mean the guy he "beat" didn't also). At this point, for very selfish reasons I hope the rest of the league dithers enough for Sam to make it onto our PS so that we can keep our DL cupboard STOCKED.

Justice Cunningham... smh.

Nope. I just don't get it...

RamWoodie

Legend
I say wasted bc I think we could have kept him and used him as trade bait. I think we can all agree he was a steal as a 7th rd, so if he gets picked up we get nothing for him. Now if he doesn't, then it's a win for us.
No one is going to trade for a 7th round pick!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
If I thought Justice Cunningham gave this team a better shot at winning, I'd be for it, but ol' Manos de Piedra didn't do anything Harkey couldn't have done.

And looking forward, I just don't see the upside on giving away a young player with talent (at ANY position, btw, just because we kept Westbrooks and he flashed substantial skill doesn't mean the guy he "beat" didn't also). At this point, for very selfish reasons I hope the rest of the league dithers enough for Sam to make it onto our PS so that we can keep our DL cupboard STOCKED.

Justice Cunningham... smh.

Nope. I just don't get it...
One of the TE's won't be on the roster in a few days, I promise you that.

ShaneFalco

wow we kept chase reynolds? for what? Should have kept Sam.

i agree about Cunningham the guy always was screwing up during games

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Sucks. He played really well and I was rooting for him to make the roster. This was obviously a purely football decision and we just couldn't keep him.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
If we didn't have Westbrooks, Sam would be a Ram. Westbrooks just showed more value so Sam gets a shot elsewhere. It just goes to show how deep we are in the defensive line to have to cut a player that displayed that much promise.

V3

Hall of Fame
Make the team maybe?
So because he doesn't make the Rams, a team that is very deep at DE, that means he doesn't have a position in the NFL? I don't agree at all. He proved he's good enough to play in the NFL.

RamWoodie

Legend
It's happened before, it's not unheard of..
I would think *if* it has happened...the 7th rounder was threw in as "bonus potential"...and the trade surrounded a veteran player.

I've never seen it in this modern era. The wisest thing a team can do is wait for the cut under this format.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Geez! This is national news?

image.jpg

jjab360

Legend
I would think *if* it has happened...the 7th rounder was threw in as "bonus potential"...and the trade surrounded a veteran player.

I've never seen it in this modern era. The wisest thing a team can do is wait for the cut under this format.
Not if they have a low pick on the waiver wire and the player in question is all but certain to be picked before them. There have been a couple of fringe players traded for conditional 7th round draft picks this offseason, it happens.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
So because he doesn't make the Rams, a team that is very deep at DE, that means he doesn't have a position in the NFL? I don't agree at all. He proved he's good enough to play in the NFL.

Well, I agree with you. That said, here's the test for the NFL. I think we can agree that Michael Sam IS BETTER than the depth on more than a few teams and would scheme fit well on those teams.

However, if those teams don't take him and the Rams don't put him on the PS because they have to load up on other positions like QB, OL, LB and DB, then it's... VERY POSSIBLE that Michael Sam won't be in the NFL.

Is he good enough? Yes. We all saw that. Will he get a shot beyond the Rams?

We'll see. His only shot was about the hardest shot, to make the deepest, best DL in the league. That he got beat out by a guy with SERIOUS talent, but who didn't get drafted because of red flags isn't a knock on Michael Sam (and is a tip of the hat to the scouting department of the Rams, presuming Westbrooks stays squared away).

I honestly don't know if the rest of the league will give him a chance. Michael Sam isn't Tim Tebow in that he isn't a distraction no matter how hard ESPN tries. He CAN play and produce. But will the rest of the league just look at the player? I dunno. I really don't.

You can't tell me that the Cowboys couldn't use him as part of their 46 who dress, let alone be part of their 53. Same could be said for a number of rosters.

The next 24 hours will be telling, I think. The Rams made a football decision. Can the rest of the league?