Sam Released

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
That's too bad for Sam, but the bottom line is we just don't need him. We're 5 deep at DE including Westbrooks who outplayed him in preseason.

Sam played well too and he'll wind up sticking on someone's roster this year. If we try putting him on the PS i believe he get's claimed immediately. He's probably a legit backup pass rusher anywhere else. We've got too many quality horses in the barn here in the Lou.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It shouldn't be keying on the fact the Michael Sam was released, it should be that we found a gem in UDFA Ethan Westbrooks..I am very excited about him, and think he makes the Rams Defense even better..

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
It shouldn't be keying on the fact the Michael Sam was released, it should be that we found a gem in UDFA Ethan Westbrooks..I am very excited about him, and think he makes the Rams Defense even better..
It makes me feel good about the staff, with that much pressure, and Sam playing well, that they picked the better player, in the end.

RamBill

Legend
Michael Sam cut from Rams regular season roster
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Michael Sam's bid to become the first openly gay player to make an NFL regular season roster won't come in St. Louis. At least not now.

In making tough final decisions to pare the roster to the 53-man regular season limit, Sam was released by the team Saturday. The University of Missouri all-American and SEC defensive player of the year now goes on the waiver wire.

The other 31 teams in the NFL now have until noon Sunday to claim Sam. If that doesn't happen, he becomes practice squad eligible. Practice squad players can practice with the team, but can't play in games. And Sam is a candidate for the Rams' practice squad, in which case he ultimately could still work his way back up to the active roster.

Sam was taken 249th overall, with just eight picks left in the draft on May 10. He faced long odds from the start because the Rams are stacked on the defensive line, especially at his defensive end position.

From the outset it shaped up as a battle between Sam and undrafted rookie Ethan Westrbooks for the fifth spot at end behind Robert Quinn, Chris Long, William Hayes, and Eugene Sims.

Sam played well, with two sacks during preseason play, including an acclaimed sack of

Cleveland rookie Johnny Manziel on Aug. 23, in which Sam's sack celebration included mimicking Manziel's trademark "money" gesture.

But Westbrooks, undrafted out of West Texas A&M, also had two sacks and showed more burst and big-play potential. In addition, Westbrooks has the versatility to play inside at tackle, a valuable asset for a backup.

Sam, who spent Saturday in Columbia, Mo., watching the Tigers play South Dakota State in their opener, was a peace with himself after unofficially registering six tackles against the Dolphins.

He said he felt he had done all he could to state his case, and was confident he would make some NFL team. He survived Friday's roster moves, when the Rams cut 17 players. But was one of four final roster moves Saturday.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Seems unfair. The Rams cut 100% of their openly gay players but only 28% of the straight ones.

69superbowl

Rookie
Win, Win, Win situation for the Rams.

Win - they drafted a good, local kid, who happened to be the first at something in the NFL.

Win - the Rams gave him a great shot - he got lots of playing time, but showed that he doesn't really have a position suitable for this team, or even the NFL, if you are really objective about it. He's a bit short for a DE not named the Indianapolis Colts, too light (he's down from his college weight), slow (per the combine 40 times), didn't have much arm strength either (combine numbers) and he's not the right size to cover kicks.

Win - he'll have a load of tape to show other teams who might have a specific need for his skills. If he gets picked up the Rams look good having given him this awesome chance and behaved admirably in the media. If not, they sign him to the expanded practice squad and he gets bigger, stronger, faster and learns.

I hope he sticks with the Ram PS for a year. He could use a year to catch his breath.

V3

Hall of Fame
How come you're not asking this question about the other 7th round draft picks we cut today?

In the end, if he somehow makes it to our PS, he has a shot at making it to the 53 at some point. He's a talented player, he was worth the draft pick.
Honestly, he should have been drafted a lot sooner than the 7th round. His play proved that.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Freakin' Bernie M. is at the Fisher/Rams New Conference...JT should be the guy there asking the most questions..but there;'s Bernie ..*smh

V3

Hall of Fame
Win, Win, Win situation for the Rams.

Win - they drafted a good, local kid, who happened to be the first at something in the NFL.

Win - the Rams gave him a great shot - he got lots of playing time, but showed that he doesn't really have a position suitable for this team, or even the NFL, if you are really objective about it. He's a bit short for a DE not named the Indianapolis Colts, too light (he's down from his college weight), slow (per the combine 40 times), didn't have much arm strength either (combine numbers) and he's not the right size to cover kicks.

Win - he'll have a load of tape to show other teams who might have a specific need for his skills. If he gets picked up the Rams look good having given him this awesome chance and behaved admirably in the media. If not, they sign him to the expanded practice squad and he gets bigger, stronger, faster and learns.

I hope he sticks with the Ram PS for a year. He could use a year to catch his breath.

He showed he doesn't have a position on this team or the NFL? Seriously? What else would he have to do to be good enough?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
He make get to the PS, but I doubt he goes the whole season without seeing time on a 53 man roster.

fancents86

Starter
How come you're not asking this question about the other 7th round draft picks we cut today?

In the end, if he somehow makes it to our PS, he has a shot at making it to the 53 at some point. He's a talented player, he was worth the draft pick.
What other 7th rd picks played at the same level as Sam?

fancents86

Starter
What does that have to do with asking why we drafted him in the first place? If anything, you just answered your own question.
I was answering your question (with a question) about "what about the other 7th rd picks we let go". If Sam played as good as he could and still couldn't make the team (which he did, and didn't), it makes me think we could have used that pick at another position that doesn't have as much depth.