Sam Or Cutler?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sam or Cutler?

• Sam

Votes: 57 93.4%
  • Cutler

Votes: 4 6.6%

• Total voters

NorCalRamFan

That's a farce. Bradford had great games against two of the best defenses in the NFL this year in Arizona and Carolina. But that's conveniently ignored. Didn't Dick Vermeil say that you can only play the teams on your schedule? So shouldn't Bradford be having those sort of games against bad teams? Isn't that what he's supposed to do?

Bradford had a good game against AZ in week one before they put it together and gelled, but still trailed late in the game and won it on a turnover followed by a GZ FG to pull it out at the end.

And he put up good numbers against HOU and JAX, two of the worst teams in the NFL

And he might have put up good numbers against a good Carolina Defense, but what was the score and how many points did the Rams put up before he got hurt late in the game?

Then there are his stats against DAL (Terrible pass defense) good, but not what they should be against Dallas.

And how did he do against SF?

Along with being inconsistent, he seemingly puts up good numbers against bad teams, and bad numbers against good teams.

Extrapolating those numbers over a full 16 game season is nonsense. How would have he fared against SF, and AZ again? SEA 2x? Likely not very well, yet people were ready to send him to Hawaii after less than 7 games.

Having a run of a few good games and going 3 and 4 over that stretch isn't an impressive feat, especially when two of those teams were JAX and HOU

At 17 Million per year, I think we can do much better at QB. After 4 years, I've seen enough to know that he's reached his ceiling.

I can write several paragraphs on his weaknesses, but basically, he's a QB with a strong arm, but that's not enough.

Having an NFL arm isn't enough. Leadership, pocket awareness, escapabilty and reading/beating defenses is key too of course and doing it consistently.
Then there is the issue of his "tunnel vision" of staring down receivers. Why else does a 6'4'' QB have so many balls batted down at the LOS?
And even though SB only had 4 INT's, how many did he have dropped? His drop back is also slow, as in slow-motion slow.

And why did we trade up for Tavon Austin? As a 3 yard check down receiver? Either Schotty doesn't have a clue how to use him, or Bradford doesn't, or both. I would love to see him and Manziel in the same backfield. That would be a DC's nightmare. I don't care if Austin towers over Manziel either. That kid can flat out play, make something out of nothing and is a fierce competitor. I'll say it again: He plays every down as if the lives of his entire family depends on it.

Bradford has also been injury-prone, missing 15 games in 4 seasons, his 3rd down completion percentage is in the bottom 1/3rd, and so on...

The other excuse people are using is that he didn't have a running game until right before he got hurt.
He also had #39 in the same backfield for most of his career, so that excuse doesn't fly.

I could go on, but I don't want to be accused of bashing the guy. I'm just stating facts mixed with opinions. He just has too many weaknesses to ever be more than an average QB and paying him the kind of money he's getting is insanity. How much will it cost to extend his contract?
Now that he's gotten used to being paid 15Million a year, do you think he will settle for less despite his career passer rating of 79.3?

At this point, I would cut my losses, stop spending good money after bad and send him packing and draft a QB with the #2 pick at around 4-5 Million per year or whatever they are getting these days. We have a lot of good young players that will need to be paid soon like Robert Quinn. I don't mind paying him 12-15 Million a year because he is worth it and has proven it and earned it. I've seen him single-handily blow up games like the New Orleans game where he just took over and imposed his will on the opposition. Man, how I wish I could say those words about Sam Bradford.

No one wants to see Bradford succeed more than I do, but realistically I just don't see it happening. After four years, I've seen enough and it has nothing to do with his WR's, his RB's, his OL or anything else other than Sam Bradford.

NorCalRamFan

The OP's question was "which QB would i rather have right now..."
I voted Sam but i had to think about it. Cutler's career has been disappointing but IMO Sam's has been more so thus far.
I like that Cutler is a gunslinger but that's about where it ends for me. We all know what Cutler is.

I very rarely post about Bradford because the book is still unwritten and i want him to succeed so badly. I thought i'd put it out there for once since this thread showed some passion from some of you.

Things that Bradford has proven to me so far:
1) He's tough
2) He has the tools to make all the throws.
3) He can manage a game and not continually make mistakes.
4) He's not a selfish guy.

There's alot that Sam has yet to prove to even reach the status of being considered "a good NFL QB." I've supported him from day 1 and i continue to do so...but lets be honest,he hasn't done much folks.

I don't really think that Sam is injury prone either(that gets thrown around alot),his knee injury IMO was just one of those things that happens. Aside from that he's only missed six of his first 48 games....not concerned at this point yet.
I'm far more interested/concerned over Bradford's ability or inability to get better and make others better. He was playing well earlier this season but that proves nothing IMO because the wins weren't there.

I dont expect P.Manning,A.Rodgers or Brady numbers...but he's got a ways to go yet to even be considered a successful franchise QB. If you don't agree then i don't know what to tell you other than you're just not being honest with yourself as a non-biased,knowledgeable football fan.

No more excuses/reasons...yada yada yada to be made in 2014. If he gets hurt again and misses half the season its time to move on...i don't care how good his numbers looked(again) either. If he plays 16 more games but still looks like a game managing QB its time to move on...period.

Bradford has actually missed 15 of his first 48 games, nearly a full season's worth of games. And his cap number is higher than Peyton Manning's next year and higher than Brady's over the next two years.

Are we getting a good ROI?

I don't think so. Not even close to it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bradford has actually missed 15 of his first 48 games, nearly a full season's worth of games. And his cap number is higher than Peyton Manning's next year and higher than Brady's over the next two years.

Are we getting a good ROI?

I don't think so. Not even close to it.

why do you care? is it your money they're spending?

he was the #1 pick and that was the going rate. what's the point of crying about it now?

i think you better get used to the idea that sam is here to stay, no matter how much that irks you.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Bradford had a good game against AZ in week one before they put it together and gelled, but still trailed late in the game and won it on a turnover followed by a GZ FG to pull it out at the end.

And he put up good numbers against HOU and JAX, two of the worst teams in the NFL

And he might have put up good numbers against a good Carolina Defense, but what was the score and how many points did the Rams put up before he got hurt late in the game?

Then there are his stats against DAL (Terrible pass defense) good, but not what they should be against Dallas.

And how did he do against SF?

Along with being inconsistent, he seemingly puts up good numbers against bad teams, and bad numbers against good teams.

Why are you constantly beating the stats drum against SF/Dallas...the whole team had bad games. And Dallas/SF aren't bad teams either.

Extrapolating those numbers over a full 16 game season is nonsense. How would have he fared against SF, and AZ again? SEA 2x? Likely not very well, yet people were ready to send him to Hawaii after less than 7 games.

Having a run of a few good games and going 3 and 4 over that stretch isn't an impressive feat, especially when two of those teams were JAX and HOU

At 17 Million per year, I think we can do much better at QB. After 4 years, I've seen enough to know that he's reached his ceiling.

How do you know he wouldn't? Also see my other post on Jax/Houston.

I can write several paragraphs on his weaknesses, but basically, he's a QB with a strong arm, but that's not enough.

Having an NFL arm isn't enough. Leadership, pocket awareness, escapabilty and reading/beating defenses is key too of course and doing it consistently.
Then there is the issue of his "tunnel vision" of staring down receivers. Why else does a 6'4'' QB have so many balls batted down at the LOS?
And even though SB only had 4 INT's, how many did he have dropped? His drop back is also slow, as in slow-motion slow.

Sam has all those qualities. Unless you talk to Kent Sterling. And the end of the day...they were dropped. Eli would never be SB MVP if Asante Samuel didn't drop his INT.

And why did we trade up for Tavon Austin? As a 3 yard check down receiver? Either Schotty doesn't have a clue how to use him, or Bradford doesn't, or both. I would love to see him and Manziel in the same backfield. That would be a DC's nightmare. I don't care if Austin towers over Manziel either. That kid can flat out play, make something out of nothing and is a fierce competitor. I'll say it again: He plays every down as if the lives of his entire family depends on it.

Umm maybe b/c he was a rookie? And Tavon is a multi-threat...not just a WR. Johnny Manziel? Might be a good QB...might not. You are so adamant Sam can't do all these things but you are so sure someone who hasn't played an NFL down yet can?

Bradford has also been injury-prone, missing 15 games in 4 seasons, his 3rd down completion percentage is in the bottom 1/3rd, and so on...

You play behind the Rams OL the past few years and see how "injury prone" he really is.

The other excuse people are using is that he didn't have a running game until right before he got hurt.
He also had #39 in the same backfield for most of his career, so that excuse doesn't fly.

SJack was a stud. The Rams running game as a whole ranked in the low to mid 20s, w/ little to no rush TDs.

I could go on, but I don't want to be accused of bashing the guy. I'm just stating facts mixed with opinions. He just has too many weaknesses to ever be more than an average QB and paying him the kind of money he's getting is insanity. How much will it cost to extend his contract?
Now that he's gotten used to being paid 15Million a year, do you think he will settle for less despite his career passer rating of 79.3?

At this point, I would cut my losses, stop spending good money after bad and send him packing and draft a QB with the #2 pick at around 4-5 Million per year or whatever they are getting these days. We have a lot of good young players that will need to be paid soon like Robert Quinn. I don't mind paying him 12-15 Million a year because he is worth it and has proven it and earned it. I've seen him single-handily blow up games like the New Orleans game where he just took over and imposed his will on the opposition. Man, how I wish I could say those words about Sam Bradford.

No one wants to see Bradford succeed more than I do, but realistically I just don't see it happening. After four years, I've seen enough and it has nothing to do with his WR's, his RB's, his OL or anything else other than Sam Bradford.

I stopped giving your opinion merit when you brought up the contract and money issue. That was the going price, no matter who the 1st pick. Money doesn't affect on field play.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's the biggest misnomer on the internet. Congratulations.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

So you're one of those fans. Well, at least I know so I won't bother again.

It's disappointing how you can ignore the fact that Bradford had a GREAT game against Arizona and the Rams were able to score 14 points in the 4th quarter after trailing 11 to win but your credit goes to Zuerlein.

Then, you manage to place the blame on Bradford for not scoring more in the Panthers game. It's so unbelievably hypocritical.

Either you're giving the QB the credit for scoring 27 against Arizona and winning because you care more about points and W-L than performance(even though his performance was excellent) or you're giving Bradford credit for a heck of a performance against Carolina because you care more about performance than W-L records and points.

You manage to do neither.

And FYI, if you want to know why the Rams didn't score more against Carolina...ask Tavon Austin, Brian Quick and Jake Long. Because from my vantage point, Tavon fumbled the ball in Carolina territory. Brian Quick dropped a perfect TD throw on 3rd down. Jake Long got flagged for tripping on a 63 yard TD. Those 3 mistakes cost us AT LEAST 11 points in a game where we scored 13 offensive points.(which adds up to 24 points)

I don't care if you're not a Bradford fan. I don't care if you're a Manziel fan. At least give credit where it's due. I have no issues admitting that he played poorly against SF and Dallas. None at all. There were other factors to consider but his performance was bad. Because I base my judgement on performance and team play. I recognize the QB isn't alone out there. Not on a criteria that changes depending on the game so I can refuse to give Bradford the necessary credit.

NorCalRamFan

"So you're one of those fans." No need to get snarky .The Rams trailed for most of the AZ game. The Rams D forced a TO as I recall and won it on a FG.
Not Bradford.
And the CAR game, they managed a mere 15 points, so I wouldn't be bragging about what a great game Bradford had. Maybe statistically, but it didn't equate to points.

I care about winning at the end of day, and the Rams defense pulled out the win against AZ, not Bradford. I'll give him credit for keeping the Rams in the game, but the Cards were far from the Cards of later in the season as their defense had yet to gel.

Bradford had a heck of a performance against Carolina? IDK what the score was when he went out, but we lost that game 30-15. I can watch it again on NFL Rewind, but the fact that the Rams only put up 15 pts. doesn't exactly say the Rams QB had a great game. And other than a rare, long bomb to Brian Quick, Bradford really didn't do much in that game either.

His career stats are a more accurate indicator of what he has done and what he will do in the future.

Like I said, no one wants to see Bradford do well more than I, but after 3.5 years and seeing his inherent weaknesses as a QB I can see that he's reached his ceiling and hoping that he's going to get better is just wishful thinking and false optimism.

NorCalRamFan

why do you care? is it your money they're spending?

he was the #1 pick and that was the going rate. what's the point of crying about it now?

i think you better get used to the idea that sam is here to stay, no matter how much that irks you.

Actually, it is my money. I pay for game tickets, NFL Sunday Ticket, etc...
Regardless, Bradford will be gone in 2 years either way. Maybe sooner.
And why do some people call him "Sam" as if they are personal friends with him?
This is something I don't see fans do with other Rams players.
It's just weird.
The only Ram player I refer to by his first name is "Greg the Leg"

Alan

Legend
NorCalRamFan asking the $64,000 question:
It's just weird.
I call Sam Sam because it's much easier than typing Bradford.
Calling him Bradford is just... weird. :heh:

bskrilla

Starter
"So you're one of those fans." No need to get snarky .The Rams trailed for most of the AZ game. The Rams D forced a TO as I recall and won it on a FG.
Not Bradford.

And the CAR game, they managed a mere 15 points, so I wouldn't be bragging about what a great game Bradford had. Maybe statistically, but it didn't equate to points.

I care about winning at the end of day, and the Rams defense pulled out the win against AZ, not Bradford. I'll give him credit for keeping the Rams in the game, but the Cards were far from the Cards of later in the season as their defense had yet to gel.

Bradford had a heck of a performance against Carolina? IDK what the score was when he went out, but we lost that game 30-15. I can watch it again on NFL Rewind, but the fact that the Rams only put up 15 pts. doesn't exactly say the Rams QB had a great game. And other than a rare, long bomb to Brian Quick, Bradford really didn't do much in that game either.

His career stats are a more accurate indicator of what he has done and what he will do in the future.

Like I said, no one wants to see Bradford do well more than I, but after 3.5 years and seeing his inherent weaknesses as a QB I can see that he's reached his ceiling and hoping that he's going to get better is just wishful thinking and false optimism.

This is incorrect. Defense got a stop and a punt that ended up as a touchback. Rams drove from their 20 into field goal range. Sam was 3/4 for 37 yards. Drive started with 1:45 on the clock.

And I think it has become apparent that for you it's all about wins and points, and then when they score points and win you give credit to everyone other than Bradford.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's just weird.

Man you must hate the guy.

Sam isn't going anywhere. Get used to it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's just weird.

User banned 7 days, minimum.

This is a fan forum. Enough already!

Alan

Legend
I often use that too but sometimes it can be confused with Super Bowl so I prefer to use Sam most of the time. I do like using two letters for most of our players though. I also don't use KC when I'm referring to Kellen Clemens because of the possible confusion with Kansas City.

A little advice Pete if you don't mind. You need to relax a little and take things a little less seriously. Using half a post to call other people weird for referring to Bradford as Sam is not going to endear you to your fellow posters. Give us the benefit of the doubt and we'll give it to you too.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Bradford has actually missed 15 of his first 48 games, nearly a full season's worth.
No, the figures are correct. He played 16/16 his rookie year in 2010...missed six games in 2011...played 16/16 in 2012. That's only six games missed through his first three seasons(which is 48 games).

For a guy who was sacked 105 times during those first three seasons,only missing six games with a high ankle sprain is not reason for concern. I'll debate this whole Bradford is injury prone label all day long my friend. The idea of a football player being called injury prone is subjective i suppose,but it's just way too soon to label Sam as such IMO. It started with Oklahoma(6 years ago) and somehow has permeated through fans of other teams,the media to a degree...

jap

Legend
No, the figures are correct. He played 16/16 his rookie year in 2010...missed six games in 2011...played 16/16 in 2012. That's only six games missed through his first three seasons(which is 48 games).

For a guy who was sacked 105 times during those first three seasons,only missing six games with a high ankle sprain is not reason for concern. I'll debate this whole Bradford is injury prone label all day long my friend. The idea of a football player being called injury prone is subjective i suppose,but it's just way too soon to label Sam as such IMO. It started with Oklahoma(6 years ago) and somehow has permeated through fans of other teams,the media to a degree...

Sam's injuries also fall into the freakish category, as in unexpected. Furthermore, he is a workout freak who strives to make himself even stronger when recuperating. I am almost embarrassed to admit I was a Suh advocate at first. :oops: I was concerned about Sam's shoulder injury UNTIL it was pointed out that, not only had it fully recovered, but he was throwing the rock even stronger than pre-injury. With that, screw Suh, and Sam the Ram became my top pick. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

PhxRam

You do realize you are quoting a guy who is no longer with us?

Alan

Legend
I thought it was just for 7 days and he'd come back and read what he missed.

So he's gone for good?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
You do realize you are quoting a guy who is no longer with us?
Yeah,after i quoted it. Lol.

Well the he was wrong. Honestly his belief that Sam had missed that much time is not unusual. Most fans outside of Rams Nation have this bizarre notion that Bradford is fragile and has missed half of his career due to 12 different injuries. It's uninformed garbage.