Sam continues building case for roster spot/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Sam continues building case for roster spot
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/10837/sam-continues-building-case-for-roster-spot

CLEVELAND -- As the preseason wears on and St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher's gradual-build approach to it takes hold, snaps are increasingly difficult to come by for defensive end Michael Sam and other rookies hoping to crack the initial 53-man roster.

That means fewer chances for Sam to impress Fisher and his staff. It also means Sam has no choice but to make the most of the chances he's afforded.

Michael Sam, Johnny Manziel
Rams rookie defensive end Michael Sam was able to sack Johnny Manziel twice Saturday.
To Sam's credit, he seems to be doing that quite well as pursues a potential ninth -- or even 10th -- roster spot carved out for defensive linemen. On Saturday night at FirstEnergy Stadium, Sam drew plenty of attention by twice sacking Cleveland quarterback Johnny Manziel in the Rams' 33-14 win.

Defensive end Chris Long even joked about the internet breaking because of it. While the jokes were funny, Sam's recent work in games is no laughing matter.

"With the plays you have, you’ve got to make sure you perform," Sam said. "I thought I came up big in the fourth quarter."

Under Fisher's guidance, starters generally get more reps as the preseason wears on, leaving less work for the backups. It also means facing lesser players later in the game. Sam offers a prime example, entering the first preseason game against New Orleans in the first quarter but having to wait until the fourth to play against the Browns. He played 19 snaps on the night.

Sam wasted little time making his presence felt when he entered. Playing his most comfortable left end spot, Sam beat second-string tackle Martin Wallace around the edge, using both arms to knock away Wallace's feeble attempt to block him.

Often labeled purely a run-and-chase player who gets most of his sacks on effort, Sam has made strides when it comes to hand usage and fundamentals according to Long.

"He’s gotten a lot better with that," Long said. "When he came in he was very raw; he’s still raw but he continues to work at it. He’s like the rest of these rookies out there competing every day and he was able to make a play tonight and that was great for him."

Sam drew a strong reaction from his teammates on the sideline when he followed the sack by doing his normal celebration capped off by an imitation of Manziel's money sign.

"If you sack Johnny, you’ve got to do it," Sam said. "At least once."

Sam actually had a second opportunity to do it, though it faded quickly because his second sack came on the game's final play. Sam appeared to wrangle Manziel down with about three other Rams, but the unofficial press-box statistics credited him for the takedown. So long as someone is willing to give it to him, Sam is happy to take it.

"That last sack belongs to me as well," Sam said. "So that’s good. Because I need ‘em. I need ‘em."

Indeed, regardless of the competition or the snap count, Sam can use every big play possible as he continues fighting for a roster spot. The Rams appear to have eight defensive line spots pretty well locked in, and though they've carried nine in their two years under coach Jeff Fisher, undrafted rookie Ethan Westbrooks has performed every bit as good or better than Sam throughout the preseason.

There's a chance the Rams could go even heavier on the defensive line considering some injuries and versatility at other positions, but that's no guarantee. The only way for Sam to make it is to earn it.

"I can only control what I can control," Sam said. "I thought I got better today. I’m not only interviewing for the Rams but also interviewing for the other 31 teams. As long as I keep getting better, I have got one more week to get better and we’ll go from that."

Kohl420

UDFA
Name
Kohl
On a side note, I did notice on one of Sam's sacks that Westbrooks was being double teamed. I'm not sure if that was how it was for the rest of the night but I'm a fan of both.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
On a side note, I did notice on one of Sam's sacks that Westbrooks was being double teamed. I'm not sure if that was how it was for the rest of the night but I'm a fan of both.

Yep Westbrooks had two Brown OL'ers trying to contain him and Sam had just one when Johnny Football went down Westbrooks was right there in front of his face too. From the few clips of the defense in the 2nd half I observed that Ethan Westbrook was playing LDT Langford's post inside.

Slappy967

Starter
I saw Sam get double teamed as well and I have to think it's in our long term best interests to keep both guys.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I saw Sam get double teamed as well and I have to think it's in our long term best interests to keep both guys.

I want them both to make the team.

I am with you both on this. Rams currently having issues with our two best DT remaining healthy. Langford goes down & then Brockers goes down early in TC returns last night and then re-injures the same injury. So we have two limping starting DT's. The two young vets back ups Carrington & Conrath have looked.... simply put BAD :sick: thus far in this young season. When you consider the current DT situation this morning......is a cause for some alarm. The best veteran DE who plays DT in the main rotation William Hayes has yet to get any TC or preseason action time due to a trio of off season surgeries !

DE's Quinn-Sims & Long certainly look 100% ready for the regular season NOW. Rookie DT's Aaron Donald & Ethan Westbrooks(who has demonstrated that he can play all four DL posts) ......just based off the above factual information would seem to be a greater need presently for this Rams team. However loosing LDE Sam would very hard to digest too.

Snead & Fisher's will have a very big decision here in lest than two weeks on these two DL'ers I would release Carrington & Conrath both before releasing Westbrooks & Sam myself.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
Seems to me the health of William Hayes is HUGE when it comes to Sam's chances as Long, Hayes, & Westbrook can play LE. And they can do so well without having to be lined up so wide of the RT.

The health of Brockers and Langford loom large for this season. IMO, the Rams would be making a mistake relying upon DEs to move inside too often on non obvious passing downs.

jap

Legend
I was wondering what the hell is up with these crazy Browns and all this 'rolling into opponents' legs' jazz! :wtf: :double::wabbit::lifting::seizure::shooting:

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I'm thinking we end up keeping them both due to the injury issues outlined above.
These are first year guys with lots of room to improve

RamWoodie

Legend
Sam has done well...but I still don't see him making the final 53. Think about it...you have Long, Quinn, Hayes and Sims as top DEs.

Being as objective as I can, I think Westbrooks is in. He simply has played better. I don't think Sam gets cut until the final week though...and I think a team will grab him quickly. He can play...he's just on a team that has excellent DE depth.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Sam has done well...but I still don't see him making the final 53. Think about it...you have Long, Quinn, Hayes and Sims as top DEs.

Being as objective as I can, I think Westbrooks is in. He simply has played better. I don't think Sam gets cut until the final week though...and I think a team will grab him quickly. He can play...he's just on a team that has excellent DE depth.

I have to agree. I don't think you go wrong keeping him, but that depends on who you're cutting to keep him. In the end, he can play at the NFL level but probably not here.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Seems to me the health of William Hayes is HUGE when it comes to Sam's chances as Long, Hayes, & Westbrook can play LE. And they can do so well without having to be lined up so wide of the RT.

The health of Brockers and Langford loom large for this season. IMO, the Rams would be making a mistake relying upon DEs to move inside too often on non obvious passing downs.

Your right Memphis.

From our previous brief discussion on the reserve DT's you seem to think that Carrington would be a better choice than Conrath. I feel the opposite but bottom line... neither have produced any consistent play. Rams really need a legit pure run stuffer DT not primary DE just moved inside on passing down. I just do not see any reserve DT being that player to fill in behind Brockers do you? So there in lies the problem. Carrington looks like he is ideally suited to play 34 DE. A 60/40 DE/DT type not close to a Brockers.

DT Aaron Donald is a legit Kendall Langford reserve & has a very good spot to contribute from this rookie season. It may be the WWC's lineup may be where the true Brockers reserve may be found. Releasing DT/DE rookie Westbrook to keep a Carrington or Conrath is just messed up. I have seen where a good amount of run stuffer s have gone down to injury like Raju, Dockett & Dorsey among others so the hunt will be on to find replacement for those injured rough run stuffer s.

It was slightly covered this early last week but the health of William Hayes being a major issue here when considering Sam & Westbrooks on the 53 MR. The ideal was tossed out that WH could be the ideal guy to place on the one designation spot to return after week 8 from the IR.

Currently WH has not done anything much thus far in any of the practices not that he needs much being a vet for 7 NFL seasons @ 29 yrs old but you need to be healthy and WH is not ready. Just suggesting here If WH was IR'd it would then make it the decision on Sam & Westbrooks so much easier. Its going to be interesting to see how this plays out. Hopefully Brockers is able to get healthy in a 3 to 4 week period.