Sam cleared waivers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think from watching the preseason, a couple of things seem highly likely.

1) Sam is better than at least some DEs on rosters to open the season. Just because he's 6th best on the Rams, doesn't mean he wouldn't be - say - 4th best on a lot of other teams.

2) Like virtually all rookies, he would benefit by having a couple more months of supervised weight training and nutrition by the team, to become stronger, and several months of improving his technique. If he is on the PS, he will get those things.

He will learn as much technique with the Rams as he would anywhere else in the league - unless he gets a nice offer elsewhere it benefits him to be on the Rams PS. Add in that it's close to home.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
While I agree we need depth at QB, it's always important to "feed the beast". That's why we drafted Aaron Donald and Westbrooks and Sam. Who's to say Sam doesn't improve into a very solid backup and contributor after a year on the PS? Teams that ignore a strength find it becomes a weakness.

Just look at the 49ers DL as Exhibit A...

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
We need depth at other positions..namely QB.

I can see a quarterback (likely Gilbert), a defensive end (Sam), two offensive linemen (Hooey and Washington), a linebacker (Wilson), three defensive backs (Reid, Bryant, and Woodard), a wide receiver (Veltung), and the fifth tight end (Bayer or Cunningham). No excuse for not keeping a talented rookie when you find him.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I can see a quarterback (likely Gilbert), a defensive end (Sam), two offensive linemen (Hooey and Washington), a linebacker (Wilson), three defensive backs (Reid, Bryant, and Woodard), a wide receiver (Veltung), and the fifth tight end (Bayer or Cunningham). No excuse for not keeping a talented rookie when you find him.

Please no on Veltung. I like the rest of your list, but there are much better receiver options then Veltung. I know he's on special teams as KR. But he's not even very good at that. He'll never make the team just for that. Give his spot to an actual receiver please.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I think from watching the preseason, a couple of things seem highly likely.

1) Sam is better than at least some DEs on rosters to open the season. Just because he's 6th best on the Rams, doesn't mean he wouldn't be - say - 4th best on a lot of other teams.

2) Like virtually all rookies, he would benefit by having a couple more months of supervised weight training and nutrition by the team, to become stronger, and several months of improving his technique. If he is on the PS, he will get those things.

He will learn as much technique with the Rams as he would anywhere else in the league - unless he gets a nice offer elsewhere it benefits him to be on the Rams PS. Add in that it's close to home.

Love for him to be on our PS. It's just that with our 53 man roster comp, I dunno how they do it. Only way I can see it is if they only carry 2 OL and with Barrett Jones on the 53, I dunno that they do that... I think MS has the potential to really develop under Waufle into a really solid contributor on our DL.

THIS LOOKS LIKE A JOB FOR THE SNISHER!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Please no on Veltung. I like the rest of your list, but there are much better receiver options then Veltung. I know he's on special teams as KR. But he's not even very good at that. He'll never make the team just for that. Give his spot to an actual receiver please.

Thank you. I appreciate your comments. Might have to give his spot to Watts when Bailey comes back eventually.

markstewart67

Rookie
Actually quite surprised he didnt get claimed.

I thought Fisher said they had a few talks about trading Sam. Now nobody claims him?
I thought he showed pretty well during the preseason. I'm shocked no other team was interested. I'm also surprised he didn't make the PS. I hope we see him again. Do you think it's because he's gay that no other team picked him up?? I sure hope not. I'm really glad our Rams were the team to give him a shot.
GO RAMS!!!

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
I thought he showed pretty well during the preseason. I'm shocked no other team was interested. I'm also surprised he didn't make the PS. I hope we see him again. Do you think it's because he's gay that no other team picked him up?? I sure hope not. I'm really glad our Rams were the team to give him a shot.
GO RAMS!!!
Who knows. It's most likely NOT because he is gay, but that the stupid circus follows him around and causes huge distractions. Teams probably don't want to pick up "the circus" along with him. Or ... maybe he's just not good enough yet.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Seriously, what circus? Other than the ONE ESPN report, what circus?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

I think if he went to the right team there wouldn't be one,IMO if he doesn't get a job the "circus" is gonna be all over the leagues image and I for one won't pity them

CoachO

Hall of Fame
What do ya think CoachO.....Is he there to join the PS or to say goodbye??
he was already scheduled to meet with Fisher, to get his "exit interview" as he was not on site yesterday and only talked to Fisher on the phone. Fisher makes a point to talk face to face with every player who they release, so it could be nothing more than that.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Just go and count the number of different Michael Sam news stories going on right now. For a player that was a 7th round pick that nearly made the team but was cut? THAT much discussion is needed? Name some other 7th rounders who didn't make the 53 in the league that are talked about as much.

markstewart67

Rookie
he was already scheduled to meet with Fisher, to get his "exit interview" as he was not on site yesterday and only talked to Fisher on the phone. Fisher makes a point to talk face to face with every player who they release, so it could be nothing more than that.
dang. kinda bummed about it. I really thought him making the team was one of the big surprises you were referring too.
GO RAMS!!!

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Just go and count the number of different Michael Sam news stories going on right now. For a player that was a 7th round pick that nearly made the team but was cut? THAT much discussion is needed? Name some other 7th rounders who didn't make the 53 in the league that are talked about as much.

So, the number of stories constitutes a circus? I have to wholeheartedly disagree. The constant media presence around Tebow and Manziel as well as the THOUSANDS of fans causing logistical and other headaches for coaches, players and the front office. THOSE are circuses.

Michael Sam hasn't been any of that. Being the first openly gay athlete in a league that HAS had numerous gay athletes, yet still refuses to acknowledge them and still all to often embraces homophobia makes Michael Sam's journey a big deal.

Now, YOU may not care about how big a deal it is and that's fine. But that doesn't mean that it isn't a big deal to others.

I think it's a very big deal and, yet, like many who want the whole Michael Sam story to go away, I also want the ISSUE of being openly gay to become a non-issue. However, since it's NOT a non-issue, rather than ignore it, I'd rather deal with it than pretend it doesn't exist.

I mean, 1 in 3 transgender kids kills themselves. 1 in 3 gay kids attempts suicide. And that's RECENT data.

I'd absolutely LOVE for this to be a non-issue for people of all walks of life, gay, straight, any religion, any color, truly whatever could come and into their ripe old age... celebrate and commiserate about our beloved Rams...

But that day isn't today. The sooner the better... but if you've ever met any of these kids, you'd know how FEW role models they have and what a big deal just ONE they can relate to can mean.

So, in some ways, even in 2014, it IS like Jackie Robinson...not insofar as talent, but as far as the barrier.

And, in this age of choice, if you don't want to read all these articles, don't. I mean, there are about a bazillion articles about the Kardashians and what they're up to. I wouldn't know. I haven't read any of them...

Jmho, ymmv...

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Has to clean out his locker anyway