Sam Bradford underwent Knee surgery on tuesday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just to clear it up for everybody I had no part in writing that crap up there just linked from rotoworld.

V3

Hall of Fame
That question HAS been asked repeatedly .
Bradfords first ACL tear occured week 7 he returned for training camp
RGIII tore his for a second time in a playoff game week 18 and started the first game of the following season,and continues to play now without a brace.
There are metrics that compare leg strength to evaluate if the knee is ready ,his was passed medically and again it was a longer period and a first ,it's very common for players to return on less time than Sam ,Jake Long has.
You are entitled to your opinion but people with better info passed him and trying to find someone to put it "on" presupposes you need someone to blame for what isn't out of line by most all practices.
It was a hit that could have torn an ACL for the first time .
Sorry, I don't think that hit was severe at all. I thought Johnson's was way worse and he didn't tear it. Outside of this place, I haven't met anyone that did think that was a big hit. And just because a couple extreme athletes are able to come back early from it without re-injury, doesn't mean Bradford, who is not RG3 or AP, can do it. You're using a very small sample size there. Also, leg strength doesn't measure how much the tendon is healed or how well it has attached to the bone. There's no way to measure that which is why most doctors say to wait a full year. There's no way to determine what might have been but I'm not sure I can just totally absolve all parties of this and say they did nothing wrong, either.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Sorry, I don't think that hit was severe at all. I thought Johnson's was way worse and he didn't tear it. Outside of this place, I haven't met anyone that did think that was a big hit. And just because a couple extreme athletes are able to come back early from it without re-injury, doesn't mean Bradford, who is not RG3 or AP, can do it. You're using a very small sample size there. Also, leg strength doesn't measure how much the tendon is healed or how well it has attached to the bone. There's no way to measure that which is why most doctors say to wait a full year. There's no way to determine what might have been but I'm not sure I can just totally absolve all parties of this and say they did nothing wrong, either.

I think it's more easily explained by saying that different people heal differently and there's not much more to it than that. Same doctor, same surgery, the only variable is the person that it's being performed on.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Has one of, if not the best doctor in the biz, and his reputation is at stake with many athlete's. BTW, he didn't clear RG3, before he tore up his knee again, it was a huge controversy at the time.

V3

Hall of Fame
I think it's more easily explained by saying that different people heal differently and there's not much more to it than that. Same doctor, same surgery, the only variable is the person that it's being performed on.
Which is exactly why I prefer to play it safe than be sorry.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Everyone is speculating as to why Bradford's ACL tore again. Is it cuz he came back too soon? Was the knee not fully healed? IMO, that wasn't the case.

One thing I haven't seen or heard discussed, was the fact that he had a knee brace that protects to knee from side blows. This type of brace locks the knee laterally, but leaves it vulnerable. When you look at the position of Bradford's leg he was planted, causing an hyper-extension of the joint. Because it was supported from the side, the only thing that could give was the ACL.

While I agree, not wearing the brace is probably more of a risk, this just reinforces, for me, that this was just another of those freakish injuries. IMO, it had very little to do with his previous injury.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
While I agree, not wearing the brace is probably more of a risk, this just reinforces, for me, that this was just another of those freakish injuries. IMO, it had very little to do with his previous injury.

I agree coach. Injury was flucky. Pressure on top from right side direct from front on the knee. Hard to do.

I know players who had knee and ankle injuries in football and basketball would prefer a tape job rather than a one way brace. Wonder iff there have been studies looking at repeat injuries with and without a brace.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
And that's what you think,it doesn't take a huge hit,Pead and Sams first were because they're foot got caught on the turf without direct contact to the joint at all ,just a leverage tear.
Many times that injury you don't even see how it happened because it was ready to tear from something that was previously wrong. Again the time frame was not uncommon but if you have to carry out an inquisition to find someone to blame OKEY DOKEY,as Doc says a leading if not THE leading Dr at this cleared him,not good enough for you? Is for me.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Everyone is speculating as to why Bradford's ACL tore again. Is it cuz he came back too soon? Was the knee not fully healed? IMO, that wasn't the case.

One thing I haven't seen or heard discussed, was the fact that he had a knee brace that protects to knee from side blows. This type of brace locks the knee laterally, but leaves it vulnerable. When you look at the position of Bradford's leg he was planted, causing an hyper-extension of the joint. Because it was supported from the side, the only thing that could give was the ACL.

The Rams and freak injuries happen way too often, we have to fin a way to lift the curse somehow.

RamzFanz

Damnit
If Sam came back to a winning team under a competent Hill, that would be awesome!

The can just never again let him be the key to winning. He may not have been this season, the story has yet to be told.

V3

Hall of Fame
And that's what you think,it doesn't take a huge hit,Pead and Sams first were because they're foot got caught on the turf without direct contact to the joint at all ,just a leverage tear.
Many times that injury you don't even see how it happened because it was ready to tear from something that was previously wrong. Again the time frame was not uncommon but if you have to carry out an inquisition to find someone to blame OKEY DOKEY,as Doc says a leading if not THE leading Dr at this cleared him,not good enough for you? Is for me.
Where's this inquisition? I'm just asking the question. Like I've stated before, there's no way to prove anything so I'm not looking for anything. I just wish teams, doctors, and players would take their time with injuries instead of trying to rush back. They may not have thought it was rushing back but it's still better to play it safe than be sorry and there is data that shows the joint is still vulnerable in that time frame.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Where's this inquisition? I'm just asking the question. Like I've stated before, there's no way to prove anything so I'm not looking for anything. I just wish teams, doctors, and players would take their time with injuries instead of trying to rush back. They may not have thought it was rushing back but it's still better to play it safe than be sorry and there is data that shows the joint is still vulnerable in that time frame.
On that we agree, and I'd be fine with bringing Sam back around game 4 next year, but your words in the OP were who was this "on" like you were looking for who to blame,did I misinterpret that.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
If I'm Sam Bradford I would have done the same thing. No way I would tell my coach that I couldn't make training camp next year so they can go out a draft my replacement. Not when I'm walking well, and working out well. Not when I've finally got some talent to help me. Unless my leg was falling off there is no way I would have missed a chance to stuff it in every disgruntled fan or reporter's face who blamed me for all the ills of this team and called me a bust.

V3

Hall of Fame
On that we agree, and I'd be fine with bringing Sam back around game 4 next year, but your words in the OP were who was this "on" like you were looking for who to blame,did I misinterpret that.
I was just wondering who made the final decision to let him go full contact. I'm not sure I'd call it blame since there's no way to prove anything but I would like some clarification on how it's all determined because I feel there is something to learn here. Not just for us, but for all sports. All the tests may say it's good to go but it's always better to wait a little longer than you think, especially when there's data that suggests success is better the further out you go. And just because there are a few examples of players coming back VERY soon and doing fine, I don't think that should start becoming protocol or even close.

At this point, it's water under the bridge.

RamsFan14

Starter
Bradford needs to redo his contract if he wants to stay on the team, that's how I view it. I love Bradford and all, but he is a health risk, no matter how you look at it. Yes he's had bad luck with injuries but he's STILL has had the injuries... It's sad saying this, I want this guy to succeed like none other (okay, we all want him to succeed lol), but we can't depend on him to stay healthy anymore, not after this. He should redo his contract, we should draft a QB high if we like one, and let them all compete for the starting job. Best man wins and plays QB for the Rams in 2015 and if an injury pops up, new QB please step in and do your job. If Bradford doesn't want to redo his contract... Honestly I guess we should just move on from him....... I REALLY hate saying it, but we can't handcuff ourselves to him anymore because 2014 looks like it's going to be a miserable season without him. I've defended him for years, but this injury really changes things, we have to look at our team without Bradford being the man. I still want to give him a chance, but he needs to take a paycut and prove he can stay healthy. I don't question his brains or his arm, I question his health big time.