Sam Bradford Locked In As Rams Qb, Jeff Fisher Says

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

laramsoriginal

Starter
I'll play the Devils Advocate;

How many more years SHOULD the rams give Bradford to produce before moving on? I agree that he progress has been stunted by having different offenses to learn and a lack of weapons and OL.
Bradford can shut everyone up next year by having a great season but what happens if he gets injured again? How long do Ram fans on ROD stay behind Sam? Lets keep in mind that his salary cap numbers are hurting the team.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

How many more years SHOULD the rams give Bradford to produce before moving on? I agree that he progress has been stunted by having different offenses to learn and a lack of weapons and OL.
Bradford can shut everyone up next year by having a great season but what happens if he gets injured again? How long do Ram fans on ROD stay behind Sam? Lets keep in mind that his salary cap numbers are hurting the team.

A lot is on the line, beginning with his ability to stay healthy. With a team around him, and he stays healthy, then 2014 looms large.

But; I disagree that his cap number is an issue. You have a QB... Prepare to pay.

Yeah, yeah, you might draft a guy and deal with the learning curve while on the cheap... But if he turns out... You will have to pay.

Judge Sam by his play. Not his pay.

laramsoriginal

Starter
A lot is on the line, beginning with his ability to stay healthy. With a team around him, and he stays healthy, then 2014 looms large.

But; I disagree that his cap number is an issue. You have a QB... Prepare to pay.

Yeah, yeah, you might draft a guy and deal with the learning curve while on the cheap... But if he turns out... Prepare to pay.

Judge Sam by his play. Not his pay.

Well what if he gets injured again in 2014 and misses significant time? It will be his 5th year...his salary cap numbers in year will creep into everyone's mind because of opportunity costs.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Well what if he gets injured again in 2014 and misses significant time? It will be his 5th year...his salary cap numbers in year will creep into everyone's mind because of opportunity costs.

If he gets injured, there is a performance issue. We can't depend on him.

The salary is moot.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
For fans yes. Front office will take his cap numbers into consideration. Make no doubt about that
And Jim Thomas has stated repeatedly that Bradford's cap number this year is not a concern to them.

Next year, if Bradford doesn't pick it up (especially if he gets a shiny new toy to throw to), it might be a different story.

xander47

Rookie
Am I the only one a fan of the cap number? To me it means there's less salary elsewhere, which in my mind should be already in times for when they do sign Bradford for an extension. And if Bradford gets his money now, maybe he'll take less later after he's proven himself, especially when the coaching staff backs him up from the beginning. I'd rather have it like this rather than a Flacco situation and having to dump Boldin for a 7th round pick.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Imo sam should extend his contract this off-season to provide some salary cap relief. After all, thats what Brees has done in New Orleans. It would be the right thing to do since the organization has backed Sam since day one

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Imo sam should extend his contract this off-season to provide some salary cap relief. After all, thats what Brees has done in New Orleans. It would be the right thing to do since the organization has backed Sam since day one
Even if Sam was willing, the Rams haven't asked him to do that.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
How do you know that? Behind closed doors I imagine the rams have at least expressed as much to his agent.
I know because of Jim Thomas' repeated insistence that Sam's cap number is NOT a concern at Rams park.

Also, I know because common sense tells us that a quarterback in his first contract isn't going to give money back, so an extension isn't going to be the big cap saving thing I think you want it to be.

You can have your doubts about Sam. That's fine. But going on and on about a dead horse topic isn't going to endear you to many around here. Obviously, there haven't been as many wins as any of us would hope. Most of us are under the confirmed opinion that Sam hasn't been the problem though.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Well sam is the face of the franchise so he will create plenty of discussions. Good or bad, it happens when you're the main man in Rams park.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Well sam is the face of the franchise so he will create plenty of discussions. Good or bad, it happens when you're the main man in Rams park.
Sure, but there comes a point where one needs to accept that at least for next year, he's going to be here, he's going to start, and he's not taking a pay cut.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
By Chris Wesseling | Around the League Writer
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...-bradford-is-locked-in-as-rams-qb-fisher-says

Two years after passing up the opportunity to draft Robert Griffin III, the St. Louis Rams are doubling down on their Sam Bradford bet.

Amid conflicting reports on the organization's willingness to extend Bradford's contract, coach Jeff Fisher made it clear on Tuesday's edition of ESPN Radio's "Mike and Mike in the Morning" that Bradford's job is safe even with a scheduled $17.6 million salary cap figure in 2014.

"We talk about extensions with all our players under contract," Fisher said. "Whether or not we do so with him, I don't know where all this came from, but Sam's our quarterback. He's going to be under center."

Fisher added that Bradford took on a leadership role last year and is "doing great" in his rehab from ACL surgery.

The head coach's support echoes that of general manager Les Snead, who said last month that he would not entertain the idea of drafting a quarterback at No. 2 overall.

We addressed that very subject on Monday's edition of the "Around The League Podcast."

Given the choice of Johnny Manziel and $7 million in salary cap space versus Bradford and the No. 2 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the ATL crew voted unanimously to open Door #1.

Bradford entered the 2013 season as perhaps the NFL's most enigmatic quarterback. Although he padded his numbers in a pair of blowouts, it's not a stretch to posit that he's now a known mediocrity after four seasons in the league.

With an 18-30-1 record, a 58.6 completion percentage, 6.3 yards per attempt, a 79.3 pass rating and shaky pocket presence, Bradford has been more of a problem than a solution.

Considering the struggles of Tom Brady and Robert Griffin III early in their returns from knee reconstruction, Bradford can't be expected to suddenly start playing like a top-15 NFL quarterback in 2014.

Regardless of Bradford's pedestrian results to date, this team's brass is determined to sink or swim with their $78 million investment. We will soon find out how long they can they keep treading water.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" discussed controversial draft prospects Johnny Manziel and Jadeveon Clowney and reviewed the offseason forecasts for the St. Louis Rams and Carolina Panthers.

Idiot.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

0-1. It's put up or shut up. We're going into year 3 under Fischer. If we don't make the playoffs changes will be made. I don't want to see Fischer go so it'll be Bradford. Head have to roll, that's how shit works.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
0-1. It's put up or shut up. We're going into year 3 under Fischer. If we don't make the playoffs changes will be made. I don't want to see Fischer go so it'll be Bradford. Head have to roll, that's how crap works.
I don't think playoffs is going to be the make or break standard with how tough the division is. And if we don't do well this year, we're going to look at why, not just make an arbitrary decision that could result in us watching Sam go someplace else and prosper while we set ourselves back.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I don't think playoffs is going to be the make or break standard with how tough the division is. And if we don't do well this year, we're going to look at why, not just make an arbitrary decision that could result in us watching Sam go someplace else and prosper while we set ourselves back.

We mine as well concede next season now, given how tough our division is. ;)