Sam Bradford: In A Class All By Himself

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I'm tired of the "you dont need an elite QB to win a Superbowl" stuff.
Fact is you do, or at least a guy who can play up to that level.
Of course there are a handful of exceptions to the rule, like Trent Dilfer, but by far the exception and not the rule.

Sam has all the physical tools to be that elite QB, thats never been a doubt. Cant measure the mental side of it, thats the frustrating part

Didnt seattle just win with Russel Wilson? Proof you do not need an elite QB to win the SB, mediocre is all that is needed if you have a stout D.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
The interesting thing to me is Wilson (who I think is good but not great) passed for 200 yards and 2 TD's in the SB. Both of those TD's were in the 3rd and 4th quarter when the game was already over. I've heard many people say Sam gets TD's and yards in "garbage" time. Those two TD's by Wilson had no effect on the outcome of the game but it sure did pad is QB rating, didn't it?

And FWIW, Wilson passed for 3,357 yards, 26 TD's and 9 INT's with a completion percentage of 63.1%. Anyone think in 16 full games Bradfords #'s aren't better? You think having the #1 defense in the entire NFL and one of the best rushing attacks didn't help that? I would bet my ass without looking it up that the stats X posted on the SB winners had a very high percentage of good to great defenses or a very good running game.

Go ask Peyton manning which he 'd prefer cuz just a great QB alone isn't enough.

A55VA6

Legend
Do you consider Russell Wilson "elite" ?
Very good football player, but he isn't elite. He's more of a game manger but does make alot of good plays. He's closer to elite than Kaepernick though. When people say Kaepernick is elite, my blood boils.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Very good football player, but he isn't elite. He's more of a game manger but does make alot of good plays. He's closer to elite than Kaepernick though. When people say Kaepernick is elite, my blood boils.

That's the thing. I think if either of those QB's were on mediocre or bad teams we wouldn't even have this discussion. But they both play on teams with top 5 defenses and top 10 running games. They don't have to do everything.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Basically reiterating what I'm saying. You need am elite qb or elite qb play. Can't win the Super Bowl without making it through the playoffs. You don't win with mediocre qb.

Baltimore just did with Flacco(well, I guess it depends on how you define mediocre). Yes, I'm reiterating what you're saying to an extent but the conclusion is a little different. I'm saying that even mediocre starting QBs are capable of the type of stretches necessary to win a Super Bowl.

Obviously, give me an elite QB if I can get one, though.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
man there are some great qbs on that list.

i may be a massive homer but i'd still have kurt over all of them. he was just great to watch. and was as elite as you can be in the playoffs.

The playoffs were Warner's personal bitch, he owned them. The greatest playoff run ever by a QB was his run up to and including the SB then the amazing game v. the Packers the next year.

I've never seen anything like it. You knew shit was real when Terry Bradshaw picked the Cardinals over his Steelers in the SB and said "I'm not betting against Warner".

A55VA6

Legend
That's the thing. I think if either of those QB's were on mediocre or bad teams we wouldn't even have this discussion. But they both play on teams with top 5 defenses and top 10 running games. They don't have to do everything.
Yep. I mean Trent Dilfer and Rex Grossman brought their teams to the Super Bowl. If that can happen, Bradford could definitely lead us to a Super Bowl. When a team struggles, the QB is the one everyone blames.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Vag I'm with you, when people heap praise on CK I want ask "what is so great about him"........I see nothing there that makes him anything more than average.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Vag I'm with you, when people heap praise on CK I want ask "what is so great about him"........I see nothing there that makes him anything more than average.

The only advantage I see with Wilson or Kaperdick is mobility. I don't see any advantage from a traditional QB standpoint. I'll take Bradford's arm and accuracy.

Guess it doesn't matter though, we'll see what we really have this year.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm tired of the "you dont need an elite QB to win a Superbowl" stuff.
Fact is you do, or at least a guy who can play up to that level.
Of course there are a handful of exceptions to the rule, like Trent Dilfer, but by far the exception and not the rule.

Sam has all the physical tools to be that elite QB, thats never been a doubt. Cant measure the mental side of it, thats the frustrating part

I think Manning is elite, but lost to Wilson. It's a team sport.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think Manning is elite, but lost to Wilson. It's a team sport.
Agreed. If a football novice saw these two graphics, and didn't know anything about them, I wonder what conclusion they would draw.

R4HSMOF.png

Pe1sWGP.png

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
123 rating with 2 td and no picks looks pretty elite to me.....

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think there's a middle ground here somewhere because "elite" is a subjective term. Winning with an elite QB is easier obviously, and you can win with a very good one as well. You can even with just a 'good' QB too. What you can rarely do is win with an average-below average QB (like Dilfer). Which of the following would you consider elite?

Super Bowl 1. Bart Starr (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 2. Bart Starr (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 3. Joe Namath (MVP), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 4. Len Dawson (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 5. John Unitas (Chuck Howley), 1 TD
Super Bowl 6. Roger Staubach (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 7. Bob Griese (Jake Scott), 1 TD
Super Bowl 8. Bob Griese (Larry Csonka), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 9. Terry Bradshaw (Franco Harris), 1 TD
Super Bowl 10. Terry Bradshaw (Lynn Swann), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 11. Ken Stabler (Fred Biletnikoff), 1 TD
Super Bowl 12. Roger Staubach (Harvey Martin & Randy White), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 13. Terry Bradshaw (MVP), 4 TDs
Super Bowl 14. Terry Bradshaw (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 15. Jim Plunkett (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 16. Joe Montana (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 17. Joe Theismann (John Riggins), 2 TDs,
Super Bowl 18. Jim Plunkett (Marcus Allen), 1 TD
Super Bowl 19. Joe Montana (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 20. Jim McMahon (Richard Dent), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 21. Phil Simms (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 22. Doug Williams (MVP), 4 TDs
Super Bowl 23. Joe Montana (Jerry Rice), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 24. Joe Montana (MVP), 5 TDs
Super Bowl 25. Jeff Hostetler (Ottis Anderson), 1 TD
Super Bowl 26. Mark Rypien (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 27. Troy Aikman (MVP), 4 TDs
Super Bowl 28. Troy Aikman (Emmitt Smith), O TDs
Super Bowl 29. Steve Young (MVP), 6 TDs
Super Bowl 30. Troy Aikman (Larry Brown), 1 TD
Super Bowl 31. Brett Favre (Desmond Howard), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 32. John Elway (Terrell Davis), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 33. John Elway (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 34. Kurt Warner (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 35. Trent Dilfer (Ray Lewis), 1 TD
Super Bowl 36. Tom Brady (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 37. Brad Johnson (Dexter Jackson), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady (Deion Branch), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 40. Ben Roethlisberger (Hines Ward), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 41. Peyton Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger (Santonio Holmes), 1 TD
Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 47: Joe Flacco (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 48: Russell Wilson, 2TDs
There are quite a few elite defenses on that list.
popcorn.gif

I'm half tempted(whatever that means) to research the offensive/defensive ranks of those championship teams. I did that before for notable SB winning teams. My guess is that i find that the defenses were better than the offense in most cases.

Yes i realize we're talking about QB's...but i don't care. Show me an elite offense and my elite defense will beat you.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There are quite a few elite defenses on that list.
popcorn.gif

I'm half tempted(whatever that means) to research the offensive/defensive ranks of those championship teams. I did that before for notable SB winning teams. My guess is that i find that the defenses were better than the offense in most cases.

Yes i realize we're talking about QB's...but i don't care. Show me an elite offense and my elite defense will beat you.
That would be really cool if you did. It's a bit laborious, but you're a pretty husky guy.