1. To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sam Bradford: In A Class All By Himself

Discussion in 'RAMS - NFL TALK' started by -X-, May 19, 2014.

1. Ram Quixote Knight Errant

Bradford lovers/haters?:jerkoff: I prefer to root for Ram players. Which doesn't mean I don't appreciate what they did for my team once they go somewhere else.

Bradford is the Rams QB. That's all that matters to me.

Boffo97, badnews and bluesjoc like this.
  2. jrry32 Well-Known Member

Wilson didn't have a terrible WR crew. Wilson's targets dropped the LOWEST percentage of passes of ANY unit in football. He didn't have superstars but he did have the most sure-handed unit in football. And while they lacked star power, they had depth and a lot of reliable, steady options at WR.

For a team that uses their running game to setup the pass, they were a great unit for that type of offense.

Which is why I scoffed at the notion during the draft that the Rams shouldn't draft any WRs unless they were a #1 WR. I don't think any QB in the NFL will complain if you give him 4-5 reliable options in the passing game...even if they aren't #1s.

Wilson is a good QB but I don't think he's elite yet.

So it's not so much an elite QB as it is a QB that has a great playoff run?

TheDYVKX likes this.
  3. dieterbrock Active Member

"Fact is you do, or at least a guy who can play up to that level"

You're throwing a pretty vague interpretation there, clearly a loaded one at that. So let's hear it....

4. Faceplant Well-Known Member

Man, they will let anyone be a "writer" nowadays. This article reads as if it was written by an 8th grader. He lost me after this gem...

"Bradford has to do something different in his workout regime or something to help increase his health."

How do you "increase" your health?? Workout regime?? Did he mean regimen?

5. jrry32 Well-Known Member

Meaning that a non-elite QB can go on a run. So it's not so much being an elite QB as it is being capable of a good 4 game run in the playoffs?

A Few Examples:
    2012 Flacco
    2007 Eli
    2001 Brady
    2005 Ben

I know Brady ended up being an elite QB(and Ben arguably) but they weren't elite in those years imo.

Hell, even Mark Sanchez had some good playoff runs even though he never made a Super Bowl.

The point I'm making is that it's less about being an elite QB and more about playing well in the playoffs. Obviously, it's more likely that an elite QB goes on these runs but you don't have to be elite to do that.

6. jrry32 Well-Known Member

I consider TurfShowTimes and BleacherReport(although BR has improved) to be more fan blogs than actual journalism.

FRO likes this.
  7. Hawk New Member

It's a healthy mix. However, with the lack of any real journalism coming out of the St. Louis media, TST and BR have become valuable resources.

8. kurtfaulk Well-Known Member

man there are some great qbs on that list.

i may be a massive homer but i'd still have kurt over all of them. he was just great to watch. and was as elite as you can be in the playoffs.

9. blackbart Well-Known Member

And Magic is better than all of them

10. FRO Well-Known Member

Magic was different than those guys, but for me Michael was and is the best. Man I miss when the NBA was good.

blackbart likes this.
  11. blackbart Well-Known Member

I loved Michael but you never saw him playing center and winning an NBA title. With Magic running showtime against Bird and the Celtics THAT was the NBA at its best for me.

12. RaminExile Well-Known Member

You kidding me? Of course he's better than Eli. Always has been. Just watch them play.

13. FRO Well-Known Member

Fair point. I'm still taking Michael.

14. dieterbrock Active Member

Roethlisberger didnt play top level or "elite" in the 2005 playoffs? Really? Flacco in 2012?
    Im not commenting on Brady becasue it makes me sick
    And Eli Manning in 2007 wasnt "Elite" play? 3 road wins, including comeback in Green Bay when it was like -10 degrees? Then Manning with the game winning TD drive under 2 minutes? Yes, thats exactly what I consider elite play.
    You need top flight QB play to win in the NFL, period. And the weak Trent Dilfer arguement that ultimately comes up drives me nuts.
    Can argue the semantics of the term "elite" all day, but you jsut cant win wth marginal, average or mediocre play

15. The Rammer ESPN Draft Guru

Mr. Dilfer would like a talk with you

16. A55VA6 Shutdown Corner

Sam Bradford's situation is definitely unique. He's going into his 5th season and we still don't really know what he is. He's not a bust - in my eyes - but is he just average? Is he an elite QB waiting to explode? Is he a victim of bad talent around him / coaching? Alot of questions that will be answered within the next couple years.

I personally think he'll throw for 30 TD's this year. He'll throw less passes than he ever has, but he'll have more production because I feel our run game is really going to set the tone for this offense allowing Sam to manage the game and make smart plays.

Warner4Prez likes this.
  17. jrry32 Well-Known Member

Playing at a high level over a short stretch of games and being an elite QB are two different things. The point I'm making is that most average or better starting QBs are capable of a stretch like that.

You can if that average QB has a good four game stretch in the playoffs...as long as you make the playoffs.

Which is my issue with the "you need an elite QB to win a Super Bowl" argument. An elite QB is an elite QB. Joe Flacco is not an elite QB...no matter how well he played during that stretch of games. You just need a QB that either gets hot at the right time or is capable of playing good football in the playoffs. Hopefully we'll see in 2014 if Sam is capable of it. ;)

Hell, Peyton Manning was an elite QB and he didn't play well the year they won the Super Bowl.

18. dieterbrock Active Member

Basically reiterating what I'm saying. You need am elite qb or elite qb play. Can't win the Super Bowl without making it through the playoffs. You don't win with mediocre qb.

19. mr.stlouis Well-Known Member

Yes, but the managers love him.

20. bwdenverram Well-Known Member

Do you consider Russell Wilson "elite" ?