Sam Bradford: In A Class All By Himself

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Bradford lovers/haters?:jerkoff: I prefer to root for Ram players. Which doesn't mean I don't appreciate what they did for my team once they go somewhere else.

Bradford is the Rams QB. That's all that matters to me.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not really understanding what your point is here. I didnt say having an "elite" QB guarantees a SB win. As for Wilson, I hate to give any props to our rivals, but that kid is fantastic. Terrible WR crew, leaky pass pro o-line and he made things happen. They dont win without him.
Still and all, throw him on the list and we're at maybe 4,5 guys out of 40

Wilson didn't have a terrible WR crew. Wilson's targets dropped the LOWEST percentage of passes of ANY unit in football. He didn't have superstars but he did have the most sure-handed unit in football. And while they lacked star power, they had depth and a lot of reliable, steady options at WR.

For a team that uses their running game to setup the pass, they were a great unit for that type of offense.

Which is why I scoffed at the notion during the draft that the Rams shouldn't draft any WRs unless they were a #1 WR. I don't think any QB in the NFL will complain if you give him 4-5 reliable options in the passing game...even if they aren't #1s.

Wilson is a good QB but I don't think he's elite yet.

That's why I said "or plays up to that level"
But yes, I do consider Eli as an elite QB in those games, those post seasons.

So it's not so much an elite QB as it is a QB that has a great playoff run?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

So it's not so much an elite QB as it is a QB that has a great playoff run?
"Fact is you do, or at least a guy who can play up to that level"

You're throwing a pretty vague interpretation there, clearly a loaded one at that. So let's hear it....

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Man, they will let anyone be a "writer" nowadays. This article reads as if it was written by an 8th grader. He lost me after this gem...

"Bradford has to do something different in his workout regime or something to help increase his health."

How do you "increase" your health?? Workout regime?? Did he mean regimen?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Fact is you do, or at least a guy who can play up to that level"

You're throwing a pretty vague interpretation there, clearly a loaded one at that. So let's hear it....

Meaning that a non-elite QB can go on a run. So it's not so much being an elite QB as it is being capable of a good 4 game run in the playoffs?

A Few Examples:
2012 Flacco
2007 Eli
2001 Brady
2005 Ben

I know Brady ended up being an elite QB(and Ben arguably) but they weren't elite in those years imo.

Hell, even Mark Sanchez had some good playoff runs even though he never made a Super Bowl.

The point I'm making is that it's less about being an elite QB and more about playing well in the playoffs. Obviously, it's more likely that an elite QB goes on these runs but you don't have to be elite to do that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, they will let anyone be a "writer" nowadays. This article reads as if it was written by an 8th grader. He lost me after this gem...

"Bradford has to do something different in his workout regime or something to help increase his health."

How do you "increase" your health?? Workout regime?? Did he mean regimen?

I consider TurfShowTimes and BleacherReport(although BR has improved) to be more fan blogs than actual journalism.

Hawk

UDFA
It's a healthy mix. However, with the lack of any real journalism coming out of the St. Louis media, TST and BR have become valuable resources.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Super Bowl 1. Bart Starr (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 2. Bart Starr (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 3. Joe Namath (MVP), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 4. Len Dawson (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 5. John Unitas (Chuck Howley), 1 TD
Super Bowl 6. Roger Staubach (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 7. Bob Griese (Jake Scott), 1 TD
Super Bowl 8. Bob Griese (Larry Csonka), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 9. Terry Bradshaw (Franco Harris), 1 TD
Super Bowl 10. Terry Bradshaw (Lynn Swann), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 11. Ken Stabler (Fred Biletnikoff), 1 TD
Super Bowl 12. Roger Staubach (Harvey Martin & Randy White), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 13. Terry Bradshaw (MVP), 4 TDs
Super Bowl 14. Terry Bradshaw (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 15. Jim Plunkett (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 16. Joe Montana (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 17. Joe Theismann (John Riggins), 2 TDs,
Super Bowl 18. Jim Plunkett (Marcus Allen), 1 TD
Super Bowl 19. Joe Montana (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 20. Jim McMahon (Richard Dent), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 21. Phil Simms (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 22. Doug Williams (MVP), 4 TDs
Super Bowl 23. Joe Montana (Jerry Rice), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 24. Joe Montana (MVP), 5 TDs
Super Bowl 25. Jeff Hostetler (Ottis Anderson), 1 TD
Super Bowl 26. Mark Rypien (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 27. Troy Aikman (MVP), 4 TDs
Super Bowl 28. Troy Aikman (Emmitt Smith), O TDs
Super Bowl 29. Steve Young (MVP), 6 TDs
Super Bowl 30. Troy Aikman (Larry Brown), 1 TD
Super Bowl 31. Brett Favre (Desmond Howard), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 32. John Elway (Terrell Davis), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 33. John Elway (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 34. Kurt Warner (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 35. Trent Dilfer (Ray Lewis), 1 TD
Super Bowl 36. Tom Brady (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 37. Brad Johnson (Dexter Jackson), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady (Deion Branch), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 40. Ben Roethlisberger (Hines Ward), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 41. Peyton Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger (Santonio Holmes), 1 TD
Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 47: Joe Flacco (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 48: Russell Wilson, 2TDs

man there are some great qbs on that list.

i may be a massive homer but i'd still have kurt over all of them. he was just great to watch. and was as elite as you can be in the playoffs.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Magic was different than those guys, but for me Michael was and is the best. Man I miss when the NBA was good.
I loved Michael but you never saw him playing center and winning an NBA title. With Magic running showtime against Bird and the Celtics THAT was the NBA at its best for me.

FRO

Legend
I loved Michael but you never saw him playing center and winning an NBA title. With Magic running showtime against Bird and the Celtics THAT was the NBA at its best for me.
Fair point. I'm still taking Michael.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meaning that a non-elite QB can go on a run. So it's not so much being an elite QB as it is being capable of a good 4 game run in the playoffs?

A Few Examples:
2012 Flacco
2007 Eli
2001 Brady
2005 Ben

I know Brady ended up being an elite QB(and Ben arguably) but they weren't elite in those years imo.

Hell, even Mark Sanchez had some good playoff runs even though he never made a Super Bowl.

The point I'm making is that it's less about being an elite QB and more about playing well in the playoffs. Obviously, it's more likely that an elite QB goes on these runs but you don't have to be elite to do that.
Roethlisberger didnt play top level or "elite" in the 2005 playoffs? Really? Flacco in 2012?
Im not commenting on Brady becasue it makes me sick
And Eli Manning in 2007 wasnt "Elite" play? 3 road wins, including comeback in Green Bay when it was like -10 degrees? Then Manning with the game winning TD drive under 2 minutes? Yes, thats exactly what I consider elite play.
You need top flight QB play to win in the NFL, period. And the weak Trent Dilfer arguement that ultimately comes up drives me nuts.
Can argue the semantics of the term "elite" all day, but you jsut cant win wth marginal, average or mediocre play

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I'm tired of the "you dont need an elite QB to win a Superbowl" stuff.
Fact is you do, or at least a guy who can play up to that level.
Of course there are a handful of exceptions to the rule, like Trent Dilfer, but by far the exception and not the rule.

Sam has all the physical tools to be that elite QB, thats never been a doubt. Cant measure the mental side of it, thats the frustrating part
Mr. Dilfer would like a talk with you

A55VA6

Legend
Sam Bradford's situation is definitely unique. He's going into his 5th season and we still don't really know what he is. He's not a bust - in my eyes - but is he just average? Is he an elite QB waiting to explode? Is he a victim of bad talent around him / coaching? Alot of questions that will be answered within the next couple years.

I personally think he'll throw for 30 TD's this year. He'll throw less passes than he ever has, but he'll have more production because I feel our run game is really going to set the tone for this offense allowing Sam to manage the game and make smart plays.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Roethlisberger didnt play top level or "elite" in the 2005 playoffs? Really? Flacco in 2012?

Playing at a high level over a short stretch of games and being an elite QB are two different things. The point I'm making is that most average or better starting QBs are capable of a stretch like that.

Im not commenting on Brady becasue it makes me sick
And Eli Manning in 2007 wasnt "Elite" play? 3 road wins, including comeback in Green Bay when it was like -10 degrees? Then Manning with the game winning TD drive under 2 minutes? Yes, thats exactly what I consider elite play.
You need top flight QB play to win in the NFL, period. And the weak Trent Dilfer arguement that ultimately comes up drives me nuts.
Can argue the semantics of the term "elite" all day, but you jsut cant win wth marginal, average or mediocre play

You can if that average QB has a good four game stretch in the playoffs...as long as you make the playoffs.

Which is my issue with the "you need an elite QB to win a Super Bowl" argument. An elite QB is an elite QB. Joe Flacco is not an elite QB...no matter how well he played during that stretch of games. You just need a QB that either gets hot at the right time or is capable of playing good football in the playoffs. Hopefully we'll see in 2014 if Sam is capable of it. ;)

Hell, Peyton Manning was an elite QB and he didn't play well the year they won the Super Bowl.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Playing at a high level over a short stretch of games and being an elite QB are two different things. The point I'm making is that most average or better starting QBs are capable of a stretch like that.

You can if that average QB has a good four game stretch in the playoffs...as long as you make the playoffs.

Basically reiterating what I'm saying. You need am elite qb or elite qb play. Can't win the Super Bowl without making it through the playoffs. You don't win with mediocre qb.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
This has been analyzed as nauseam.

Here it is in a nutshell. Regardless, of how or why bad stuff happened to him....

Bradford has used up all of his sick days.

Yes, but the managers love him.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I'm tired of the "you dont need an elite QB to win a Superbowl" stuff.
Fact is you do, or at least a guy who can play up to that level.
Of course there are a handful of exceptions to the rule, like Trent Dilfer, but by far the exception and not the rule.

Sam has all the physical tools to be that elite QB, thats never been a doubt. Cant measure the mental side of it, thats the frustrating part
Do you consider Russell Wilson "elite" ?