Sam Bradford has unfinished business with Rams/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Sam Bradford has unfinished business with Rams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/15104/sam-bradford-has-unfinished-business-with-rams

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- After listening to St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher talk Tuesday afternoon, a muddled quarterback position gained a little bit of clarity in terms of what the plan is moving forward.

Part of that plan includes retaining veteran signal caller Sam Bradford. In their ideal world, the Rams could reduce Bradford's $16.58 million salary cap number for 2015 by bringing him back on a more team-friendly deal. Beyond that, the Rams plan to add competition at the position, either via free agency or through the draft.

How all of that plays out remains to be seen, but now would be as good a time as any to examine what's realistic when it comes to Bradford's return. For a player who hasn't played a regular season NFL game since Oct. 20, 2013, one would think the cost of keeping him around won't be too strenuous against a salary cap.

Sam Bradford
Sam Bradford doesn't want to walk away from the St. Louis Rams, but the economics might make his wish difficult.
But that's probably assuming too much given the dearth of quarterbacks available. For one, the 2015 quarterback class, both in free agency and the draft, is devoid of any surefire franchise quarterbacks.

Oregon's Marcus Mariota and Florida State's Jameis Winston headline a draft class that many analysts believe is one of the worst quarterback groups in some time. Mariota and Winston aren't without flaws and even if the Rams love them, they would likely have to make a move up from their spot at No. 10 to secure one.

The free-agent market is even more bleak. Teams simply don't let good quarterbacks walk away. In a league starved for talent at the position, there doesn't figure to be any worthwhile or proven starters that will hit the market.

Which then begs two questions. What Bradford could get on the open market if he was available? And what is his level of loyalty to the team that drafted him?

"Up until yesterday when we had our exit meetings, I’ve been focused on rehab and our coaching staff has been focused on the season," Bradford said. "It really hasn’t been any talk of the future."

Those talks should start soon, though. When asked if he'd be willing to take a pay cut, Bradford said he would allow his agent, Tom Condon, to handle the business side of things.

From the Rams' side, Fisher didn't answer when asked if there was a consideration for bringing back Bradford on his current contract, but he strongly hinted that it wouldn't be the team's preference.

“I’m not going to go into specifics because we have not had the time to sit down and discuss it," Fisher said. "I appreciate the question, but I’m not going to answer that. I think it would make sense that both sides need to get together and work something out.”

There are those around the league who think Bradford could get more than some might expect. In other words, a reworked deal might cost the Rams something in the $6 million to $8 million range with incentives that could take it up to or past the current base salary of nearly $13 million.

Bradford also made it clear Tuesday that he has much left to prove before his time in St. Louis is done. That doesn't mean he's going to play for free, but he pointed to a sense of unfinished business here as reasons that he'd like to return.

"This is really the first place I have ever been away from home," Bradford said. "I feel like I’ve really grown up here. I love this city. The people have been great. I can’t tell you how much support I’ve got. Whether it’s going out to the gas station seeing people, going out to eat and seeing fans, the people have been really encouraging and supportive so I really do enjoy it here."

The extent of that enjoyment will be put to the test as the Rams and Condon get down to business on what Fisher referred to as the "contractual standpoint" of the equation. Bradford has already earned in excess of $65 million since the Rams drafted him in 2010. In return, the Rams have gotten 18 wins and 59 touchdown passes.

Bradford is a proud guy, the type who isn't afraid to acknowledge he hasn't accomplished what he'd hoped since he entered the league. My sense is that he really would like to return and try to pay the Rams back for their continued commitment to him with plenty of victories.

But when business begins and rubber has to meet road, much like the final year of Bradford's contract, there are no guarantees.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
We're paying him $13 million no matter what happens (as I understand how guaranteed money works) so this story is a bit inane.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams starting job not assured for Bradford in 2015
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_6b980f13-277a-5475-b3a7-b68007b2ccc0.html

There will be competition next year for the Rams’ starting quarterback job. Coach Jeff Fisher made that official Tuesday. And Sam Bradford is OK with that.

“I would accept it,” Bradford said, in his first comments to reporters since shortly after his season-ending knee injury in late August. “I feel like every time I step on the field, it’s a competition. Over the past couple of years, regardless of whether it’s been Kellen (Clemens) or Shaun (Hill), I’ve always thought of it as a competition. No matter who’s in that (meeting) room next year, I still feel that it’ll be a competition.”

Even if it might, for example, involve a quarterback taken with a high draft pick?

“It’s their decision,” Bradford said. “Obviously, if they feel like that’s in the best interest of this team, then I would support it and I would embrace the competition.”

Bradford spoke Tuesday just before Fisher took the podium at Rams Park for his season-ending media session. Fisher made it crystal clear that the job wouldn’t be handed to Bradford in 2015.

“There’s going to be competition at the quarterback position, there’s no doubt,” Fisher said. “With somebody that’s not in the building right now. We’re hopeful for that.

“What that looks like, I can’t tell you right now — from a draft standpoint or from free agency. But he’ll be competing. We have some work to do obviously, from a contractual standpoint, but I’m confident we’ll sort some things out.”

Bradford is due $13 million in base salary in 2015, the final year of his original contract out of college as the No. 1 overall draft pick in 2010. Given Bradford’s injury history and the uncertainty of whether he can stay healthy for a full 16 games, the Rams would like to reduce that number.

There have been preliminary talks on the topic between the Rams and Bradford’s agent, Tom Condon, but there will be much more conversation along those lines over the coming weeks.

Since there is no deadline involved, and no roster bonus due, there is no rush to get something done. But obviously, the Rams would be best served to have a resolution in place before the start of the NFL free agency and trading period March 10.

What if the sides are unable to reach an agreement on a restructured contract for 2015? Is it possible the Rams would keep Bradford for the $13 million?

“I’m not going to go into specifics, because we have not had the time to sit down and discuss it,” Fisher said. “I appreciate the question, but I’m not gonna answer that. But I think it would make sense that both sides get together and work something out.”

Earlier, Bradford was vague when quizzed on that topic.

“Obviously, there’s a lot of things that can happen,” Bradford said. “I’m not really involved in that process. That’s why I’ve got an agent. Until things continue, I really can’t say that much on that.”

Overall, Bradford seems to have a realistic view of what might lie ahead career-wise in 2015, at one point saying “if I’m here” as part of a response to a question. It’s always possible that the Rams could end up attempting to trade him if an agreement can’t be reach on a restructured contract.

But if he had a choice, Bradford feels like St. Louis is the best place for him to continue his career.

“I do,” he said. “This is the first place I’ve ever been away from home. I feel like I’ve really grown up here. I love this city. The people have been great.

“I can’t tell you how much support I’ve gotten, whether it’s going out to the gas station and seeing people. Or going out to eat and meeting different fans. The people have been really encouraging and supportive.”

Bradford said his rehab is going well at this point and hasn’t involved as much pain as the knee rehab after his injury Oct. 20, 2013, at Carolina. The latest injury took place two months earlier in the 2014 calendar year, Aug. 23 in a preseason game at Cleveland.

“I’ve been running for the past couple weeks,” Bradford said. “Really seem to have kind of turned the corner in the past three or four weeks as far as what I’m doing in rehab now. ... There haven’t been any setbacks.”

Bradford was even seen throwing the football on the side in practice last week, although he wasn’t taking seven-step drops or anything. A year ago at this time, Bradford was only about six weeks removed from surgery.

“It just seems like this one was a lot less painful from the last time,” Bradford said. “I’m not really sure why that is. But it seemed like I got my range of motion back a lot quicker.

“It seems like I’ve stayed a little looser. It seemed like last time everything in my lower body just tightened up because I imagine there was some compensation going on.”

While less physically painful this time around, Bradford said the second tear to his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) left him mentally and emotionally scarred — to the point he wondered if he wanted to continue playing in the immediate aftermath of the August injury.

“Yeah. I’d be lying to you if I told you that there wasn’t (that feeling),” Bradford said. “It was really tough that first week after the injury. There was part of me for a couple days where I was done with football. I didn’t want to come back. I didn’t want to play. I was tired of rehabbing. I was just tired of the process.

“Then when you step back and you’re away from the game for a while, and you come back and you’re in the building, and you’re around your teammates ... I quickly realized that I wasn’t done, and that I wanted to come back. And that I feel like I’ve still got a lot to prove.”

In particular, Bradford said a conversation with his former quarterback coach at Oklahoma, current Sooners offensive coordinator Josh Heupel, helped set him straight and restore his hunger for the game.

“He kinda talked some sense into me a couple days after the injury,” Bradford said. “That’s a phone call that I’ll probably never forget.”

RamBill

Legend
Sam Bradford: No problem if Rams add QB
By R.B. FALLSTROM (AP Sports Writer)

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/bradf...tml?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Sam Bradford said rehab from knee surgery has been an easier process the second time around.

The St. Louis Rams quarterback has been running for a few weeks, increasing the workload in the weight room, too.

Although he wasn't certain of a timetable for his return, he feels like he's ''kind of turned the corner.''

Bradford also understands the business side, and the uncertainty about a player who has made 49 starts and missed 31 games.

Coach Jeff Fisher said Tuesday the Rams (6-10) would look to add a quarterback in free agency or the draft, and if Bradford's back he'd have to have his contract re-worked and then win the job.

After declining to ''go into specifics,'' Fisher added, ''I think it would make sense that both sides need to get together and work something out.''

Bradford, enthusiastic and engaging, spent time at the podium just ahead of Fisher's news conference. He wouldn't mind if the team took a quarterback early in the draft.

''I would accept it,'' he said. ''I feel like every time I step on the field, it's a competition. If they feel like that's in the best interest of the team, then I would support it and I would embrace the competition.''

Both sides said there have been no discussions about re-working the contract. Bradford is heading into the final year of a six-year, $78 million deal and set to make a base salary of nearly $13 million, and his cap number is $16.58 million for next season.

Bradford missed the entire season after reinjuring his surgically repaired left knee in the third week of the preseason. He missed the last nine games in 2013 after injuring the knee for the first time and missed six games with a high ankle sprain in 2011.

The Rams haven't finished .500 since 2006 and haven't had a winning record since 2003. A healthy Bradford could have ended that drought.

Fisher noted in his three seasons with the team, Bradford is 5-2-1 against the NFC West and his replacements are 2-8.

''That's indicative of the type of talent he has,'' Fisher said. ''Most of those wins came when this team wasn't, in our opinion, as good as it is now.''

Reasons why the Rams have optimism going into next season:

REPLACEMENT QUARTERBACKS: Both 34-year-old Shaun Hill and Austin Davis did some good things, and also struggled at times. Davis lost the job with a poor game at Arizona - two interceptions, one returned for a TD, and a fumble that was returned for another score in a 31-14 loss. Hill threw a game-ending goal-line interception at San Diego when the Rams could have forced overtime and threw two interceptions in the finale at Seattle. The Rams gave up an NFL-high 10 return scores, eight of them by the opposing defense. At this point, Fisher is interested in both returning.

DEFENSE RULES: Gregg Williams' aggressive unit didn't allow a touchdown for three straight weeks, a pair of blowout shutouts over Oakland and Washington and a 12-6 loss to the Cardinals, who mustered four field goals. After no sacks the first five games, the Rams piled up 40 in the last 11 games. End Robert Quinn (10 1/2 sacks) is going to the Pro Bowl a second straight season and there was sufficient depth to withstand end Chris Long's injury.

FAST STARTS, SLOW FINISHES: The Rams outscored opponents by 58 points in the first half and had NFC West champion Seattle down 6-0 at halftime of the finale. Seattle outscored them 20-0 in the second half, and they were among the NFL's worst at minus-88 after the break. Fisher doesn't blame play-calling, praising offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer as ''outstanding play-caller.''

SPECIAL TEAMS: Johnny Hekker was a standout, leading the NFL in net punting and finishing second in gross punting. Benny Cunningham led the NFC with a 27.5-yard average on kickoff returns. The Rams were second in punt returns, with Tavon Austin averaging 11.2 yards with a 78-yard score.

YOUNG BUNCH: Defensive tackle Aaron Donald was a standout, leading rookies with nine sacks and earning a trip to the Pro Bowl. Three other rookies started and played well - offensive tackle Greg Robinson, running back Tre Mason and cornerback E.J. Gaines. Outside linebacker Alec Ogletree has led the team in tackles both of his seasons and Austin has been an occasional big-play threat both of his seasons.

RamBill

Legend
ESPN Rams reporter Nick Wagoner discusses St. Louis’ interest in bringing QB Sam Bradford back, despite Bradford suffering a second torn left ACL in as many seasons, and coach Jeff Fisher’s comments that nothing is guaranteed when it comes to starting QB.

Watch Wagoner's Rams Report

FRO

Legend
It can't be hard to be a reporter. Go to press conferences and give a summary on what was said.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We're paying him $13 million no matter what happens (as I understand how guaranteed money works) so this story is a bit inane.
0$ is guaranteed, they are paying him nothing if they cut him
The cap hit is 3.5 mill for money he already got in his signing bonus

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
0$ is guaranteed, they are paying him nothing if they cut him
The cap hit is 3.5 mill for money he already got in his signing bonus

Thanks for the clarification. Wasn't aware of that. Makes things a bit different in terms of the type of leeway we, the organization, has.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Open competition at QB?

Isn't this a crock of bull.

If Schottenhiemer remains the OC, what QB would even stand a chance vs. Bradford who should know the offense like the back of his hand?

FRO

Legend
Open competition at QB?

Isn't this a crock of bull.

If Schottenhiemer remains the OC, what QB would even stand a chance vs. Bradford who should know the offense like the back of his hand?
Even in a new system there won't be many if any out of the list available that will able to compete. Outside of getting Winston.