Sam Bradford could have landed Rams a high first-round pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000139738/article/sam-bradford-could-have-landed-rams-a-high-firstround-pick" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... round-pick</a>

Upon taking over the football operations of the St. Louis Rams last offseason, coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead wasted no time in declaring that Sam Bradford would not be traded in a move to draft Robert Griffin III with the No. 2 pick.

While Bradford remained highly regarded as a former No. 1 pick with intriguing arm talent, it seemed at the time that the Rams were cavalierly disregarding a chance to draft a quarterback with the potential to carve out an exciting and successful new era while turning the franchise's fortunes around.

Whether or not salary-cap implications played a major role, Fisher simply believed that it was Bradford -- not Griffin -- who had the potential to become the best quarterback in football.

With the chance to land a windfall of Redskins draft picks for the right to land Griffin, Fisher put his money where his mouth was last offseason. Fisher acknowledged spurning multiple teams inquiring about the possibility of a Bradford trade.

How high were teams willing to go? SI.com's Peter King tells NBC Sports Network's Erik Kuselius that the Rams would have received a "high first-round pick" in return had they opted to deal Bradford.

The implication is that the Browns, holding the No. 4 pick and Bradford's former play-caller in Pat Shurmur, were the team hot on his trail. Had the Rams been more open-minded on Griffin, they may have changed the course of the franchises in Cleveland and Washington as well as their own. As it is now, Fisher's future is tied to Bradford's performance after passing up a chance to draft the 2012 Rookie of the Year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: Sam Bradford could have landed Rams a high first-round p

In reference to the above article:

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 13, 2012, 9:10 AM EST
<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/13/jeff-fisher-thinks-sam-bradford-can-become-the-best-quarterback-in-the-nfl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... n-the-nfl/</a>

[wrapimg=right]http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/s-bradfordbeard.jpg?w=135[/wrapimg]New Rams coach Jeff Fisher decided to keep the quarterback he inherited, Sam Bradford, rather than draft a franchise quarterback of the future, after talking to many of the people he respects most around the NFL and concluding that Bradford has the potential to be the best quarterback in football.

“There’s no doubt,” Fisher said on Mike and Mike in the Morning. “There’s a number of friends of mine in the league that know the league, and I had one of them tell me during the process that they thought Sam may be one of the better quarterbacks — or the best quarterback — in the league, he just hasn’t had a chance to prove it yet. That weighed very heavily in my opinion. Very, very impressive player. I think he has a tremendous upside.”

Bradford was the first overall pick in 2010, the final year before the new rookie wage scale was implemented, which means that if he becomes anything less than a great quarterback, the Rams are overpaying for his services. Fisher also pointed out that the rookie wage scale made the Redskins willing to give the Rams a bounty of picks — three first-rounders and a second-rounder — in order to move up to No. 2 overall, because the Redskins know they won’t have to pay Robert Griffin III the kind of monster rookie contract that Bradford got.

“We ended up, at the end of the day, with a great deal,” Fisher said. “Washington’s really excited and we’re really excited.”

Fisher also said he never would have hired Gregg Williams as his defensive coordinator if he had known that Williams was about to be indefinitely suspended, but he also said he’s open to hiring Williams in the future if Williams is ever reinstated to the NFL.

“Gregg is very, very remorseful at this point — he regrets everything that took place,” Fisher said.

That remorse came only after Williams got caught, however, and too late to save his spot on the Rams’ coaching staff.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Keep Bradford plus 2 first rounders NO QUESTION surpass the risk of drafting an unknown RG3.

Anyone who says otherwise is drinking hindsight koolaid and thinks one year makes RG3 legit.

Oh by the way SB wasn't all that bad in 2012... And beat bobG3 head to head.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Good stuff.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

CGI_Ram said:
Keep Bradford plus 2 first rounders NO QUESTION surpass the risk of drafting an unknown RG3.

Anyone who says otherwise is drinking hindsight koolaid and thinks one year makes RG3 legit.

Oh by the way SB wasn't all that bad in 2012... And beat bobG3 head to head.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Yes indeed.

bluecoconuts

Legend

RG3 has talent. I think Bradford has more when it comes to being a QB (obviously factoring running changes things)...

And if RG3 was on the Rams I'd be okay. However given the choice of Bradford vs RG3, I take Bradford 10 times out of 10. I think he has top QB potential, and his career will be longer. He started before RG3 and he'll retire after him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

We all know the story, but I'm more intrigued by their refusing to deal Bradford (and his albatross of a contract) to another team when given the opportunity. They did their homework on him, they were aware of what was holding him back, he passed their eyeball test, and they know what he can do when properly supported.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

So it would've been 3 1st rounders this year? And those 3 2nd rounders? Plus 4 more over the next 2 drafts? Holy shit.

But one of them would've been on a QB. So it doesn't really do much. Oh well.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

X said:
We all know the story, but I'm more intrigued by their refusing to deal Bradford (and his albatross of a contract) to another team when given the opportunity. They did their homework on him, they were aware of what was holding him back, he passed their eyeball test, and they know what he can do when properly supported.

I loved RGIII. Rated him higher than Luck and I wouldn't have dealt Bradford to draft him...even coming off that bad 2011.

Bradford is my highest rated QB prospect that I've evaluated. Although, I've only been a draft junkie since 07.

I still believe the kid can be special. His arm talent as a prospect hasn't been matched by anyone since he came out. Although, that Bridgewater kid might just challenge Sam's ranking.

I also really like the kid from UCF(Bortles) and Manziel...but I'm getting off topic.

Sam's combination of prototypical size, great decision making, elite arm talent and poise under pressure made him the ideal #1 pick in my opinion. I don't think the kid has forgotten how to play. I think that if we help him out talent-wise and give him some system continuity...we're going to see that kid emerge again...it's all about comfort at the QB position.

I think 2013 will bring great things for Sam and silence many of his detractors.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick

bluecoconuts said:
RG3 has talent. I think Bradford has more when it comes to being a QB (obviously factoring running changes things)...

And if RG3 was on the Rams I'd be okay. However given the choice of Bradford vs RG3, I take Bradford 10 times out of 10. I think he has top QB potential, and his career will be longer. He started before RG3 and he'll retire after him.
Straight like that blue.
Sam Bradford is the quarterback of the St. Louis Rams and I would take him over any QB that has come out in the last 15 years.

GO RAMS!!!!