Sam Bradford calling plays

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
How about it?

Shotty gets to stay on as OC, he still develops the offensive game plan and draws up the plays but he loses in game play calling responsibility to Bradford - who decides to devote himself to Xs and Os while he rehabs.

We get a fresh take on calling a game and Sam gets to grow and develop as our QB from the sideline.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
How about it?

Shotty gets to stay on as OC, he still develops the offensive game plan and draws up the plays but he loses in game play calling responsibility to Bradford - who decides to devote himself to Xs and Os while he rehabs.

We get a fresh take on calling a game and Sam gets to grow and develop as our QB from the sideline.
as long as Schotty isn't calling the plays I'm happy :D

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Using Sam isn't a bad idea actually. Maybe use him as an "assistant passing game coordinator" where he helps gameplan the opponent and their secondary, perhaps even their rush tendencies, hot routes, etc.

As to calling the plays, that's too much of a demotion for Fisher to approve most likely. But having Sam there by Schotty's side going over what the other team is doing live in-game and helping to constitute adjustments may be helpful, since he should have an epic handle on this offense by now.

One note with the Bucs... Lovie plays a lot of straight up cover 2 with big emphasis on hustle, so at this point it shouldn't be too hard to gameplan. At least I hope the Rams go into this one with a few good plays for Tavon to have a chance to bust big, along with some TE usage in the zone seams.

But again I like the idea.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
If the Rams did that then the rest of the offensive assistants would probably show up in Kevin Demoff's office asking for 16 million a year.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Wut? No. That's a very strange thing to want. Like or hate Schottenheimer, Sam Bradford has exactly zero experience calling plays for an NFL, college, high-school or pee-wee football team.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Using Sam isn't a bad idea actually. Maybe use him as an "assistant passing game coordinator" where he helps gameplan the opponent and their secondary, perhaps even their rush tendencies, hot routes, etc.

As to calling the plays, that's too much of a demotion for Fisher to approve most likely. But having Sam there by Schotty's side going over what the other team is doing live in-game and helping to constitute adjustments may be helpful, since he should have an epic handle on this offense by now.

One note with the Bucs... Lovie plays a lot of straight up cover 2 with big emphasis on hustle, so at this point it shouldn't be too hard to gameplan. At least I hope the Rams go into this one with a few good plays for Tavon to have a chance to bust big, along with some TE usage in the zone seams.

But again I like the idea.

I think he already does that.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Sam is very knowlegable in our offense..... That been said, while I won't deny to have issues w/ Schotzy's play-calling from time to time..... I think we as fans need to remember. This is what these guys do for a living. They have forgot more about offensive concepts, play design and implamentation than most of us will ever know. This is why coach O and Jrry32 and others always have a reason......because there is one. I'm pretty good @ X's and O's and a day inside the brain thrust of our offensive staff would have my head spinning.....on their worst day.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
confusedbradford.gif

he's not looking at the defensive schemes he's actually looking through Schotty's play book ...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I could see the Rams using Sam as an assist. QB Coach. that could prove very useful, but that's about it.

RamsFan14

Starter
Honestly thinking about it, I thought the play calls were pretty solid last week, it as the performances from the players I didn't like. We couldn't stop the penalties (more so a Fisher problem then Schotty) and we couldn't do anything on the offensive line. I thought we had some nice passing plays overall, but no running game (again). I will say we didn't use Austin smart enough last week...

Philly5

Rookie
SB8 having some input in meetings or offering some sideline advice is good enough for me.

Bottom line is we need some plays that work regardless of who is calling them.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
confusedbradford.gif

he's not looking at the defensive schemes he's actually looking through Schotty's play book ...

That should be in blue font so people don't get confused...because you know, those actually are defensive alignments from the booth.