Salas or DX?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
I know... we need to believe in Smith and Pettis to fill this void for Danny in the slot. Not worried yet but if the slot guy over the next week or two seems like a problem rather than a solution? Guys, seven weeks is a long time. I like Smith and believe that he can fill it somewhat adequately, however, this maybe a time to consider adding a guy for the slot as a contingency. Not sold on any of the PS guys for a short term fix. Salas or DX? Salas maybe a thought.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Interesting. I don't know what happened with Salas. It was weird - like he got in the dog house or something and just couldn't get out. Even McDaniels didn't want him anymore. I'd really be interested in knowing what happened to the guy. He had so much promise.

I think Fisher's going to stay the course though. We're deep enough that we don't need to sign anyone else from the PS or the streets yet. I think Fisher's just going to expect someone to step up and represent the Rams here during Amendola's absence. If we were going to look at anyone else though, I'd find out what Nick Miller was doing right about now. And no, I'm not kidding.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
Interesting. I don't know what happened with Salas. It was weird - like he got in the dog house or something and just couldn't get out. Even McDaniels didn't want him anymore. I'd really be interested in knowing what happened to the guy. He had so much promise.

I think Fisher's going to stay the course though. We're deep enough that we don't need to sign anyone else from the PS or the streets yet. I think Fisher's just going to expect someone to step up and represent the Rams here during Amendola's absence. If we were going to look at anyone else though, I'd find out what Nick Miller was doing right about now. And no, I'm not kidding.

"Liquor store" (Miller) is an interesting guy too. I have faith in Smith but I just have to wonder, a guy with his credentials, that is inactive may not have fully sold Fisher on his health or ability at this point. At the start of the season, I did not envision Smith inactive in our situation by week three. Danny will be inactive anyways so I was just thinking what if the fill in drops the ball (pun intended)? Just contingency, I believe in our guys. Believe me I believe in this team and Fisher. Just thinking contingency. Like I said, seven weeks is a long time and its hard for us to fathom but this team is a contender. We need a good slot guy, period.

bluecoconuts

Legend
DX, nah.. Wouldn't really fit in the DA spot at all.

Last year Salas I can see. But apparently he came into this year slower and didn't have the elusiveness that he showed last year. I'd say just go with Smith unless it's just an absolute failure right off the bat.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
If we pick up another rec and don't want to put DA on the IR,WHO YA GONNA LET GO?
I vote Mary Anne

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Cant see either of those guys being brought back. With 6 WRs on the roster we cant afford to spend a 7th spot on either of those guys.

The only way I see us adding a WR is via trade. I dont think a trade for a vet WR is out of the question, especially given just how competitive this team has been.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
smram said:
X said:

"Liquor store" (Miller) is an interesting guy too. I have faith in Smith but I just have to wonder, a guy with his credentials, that is inactive may not have fully sold Fisher on his health or ability at this point. At the start of the season, I did not envision Smith inactive in our situation by week three. Danny will be inactive anyways so I was just thinking what if the fill in drops the ball (pun intended)? Just contingency, I believe in our guys. Believe me I believe in this team and Fisher. Just thinking contingency. Like I said, seven weeks is a long time and its hard for us to fathom but this team is a contender. We need a good slot guy, period.

I can dig it. Since the starting 2 were Amendola and Gibson, I guess it's going to now be Gibson and next guy up. Who that is remains to be seen. Pettis or Smith. Smith has played in the slot, and Givens doesn't have a full array of route-running under his belt yet to be a slot guy, so I would guess he won't take on that role. Pettis also played both positions, so Pettis and Smith are interchangeable in that regard. One or both are going to have their playing time increased now, so it's up to them to make the most of it and represent. And most importantly, Quick is going to need a trial by fire. I can't see any reason to hold him back now. If he screws up, he screws up. Limit his routes and let him try to perfect about 5 of them for the time being. If he can handle that, then add a couple more.

Back to your original point though, *IF* they were to bring someone back in on a temporary basis, it might as well be DX. He was never going to last a full season anyway, and he's already familiar with Bradford more than Salas is or was. If he gets hurt again, then you can always cut him again. The problem with all of that is, you have to let someone go. Who?

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
X said:
smram said:
X said:

I can dig it. Since the starting 2 were Amendola and Gibson, I guess it's going to now be Gibson and next guy up. Who that is remains to be seen. Pettis or Smith. Smith has played in the slot, and Givens doesn't have a full array of route-running under his belt yet to be a slot guy, so I would guess he won't take on that role. Pettis also played both positions, so Pettis and Smith are interchangeable in that regard. One or both are going to have their playing time increased now, so it's up to them to make the most of it and represent. And most importantly, Quick is going to need a trial by fire. I can't see any reason to hold him back now. If he screws up, he screws up. Limit his routes and let him try to perfect about 5 of them for the time being. If he can handle that, then add a couple more.

Back to your original point though, *IF* they were to bring someone back in on a temporary basis, it might as well be DX. He was never going to last a full season anyway, and he's already familiar with Bradford more than Salas is or was. If he gets hurt again, then you can always cut him again. The problem with all of that is, you have to let someone go. Who?

Very tough decision but I'd have to say, temporarily, Conrath. I believe that Heard has shown enough and doubt that Conrath ends up on a 53 right away? I think a money slot guy that we can depend on if we need to at this point is valuable. Danny means a ton to this team as we all know. Like I said, just discussion, I am not necessarily doubting our guys but that slot guy seems to be a critical position to Sam. Vital and I think that this year we are playing for keeps in the league. This team can win 10 games if they stay healthy and disciplined in my opinion

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
No doubt. We've shown that we can hang with just about anyone. The true tests are going to be against SF and NE. Brady doesn't need as much time as Kolb does, and he won't miss on his throws the way Kolb did. SF has a nasty front 7 and their receivers are nightmarishly good if Smith is on his game. The key to both, like every game so far, will be getting to those two and everything else will fall apart. I honestly believe NE is more beatable than SF because you can score and run on NE if you try, and that's a neutral field. SF - not so much.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
smram said:
X said:
smram said:
X said:

Very tough decision but I'd have to say, temporarily, Conrath. I believe that Heard has shown enough and doubt that Conrath ends up on a 53 right away? I think a money slot guy that we can depend on if we need to at this point is valuable. Danny means a ton to this team as we all know. Like I said, just discussion, I am not necessarily doubting our guys but that slot guy seems to be a critical position to Sam. Vital and I think that this year we are playing for keeps in the league. This team can win 10 games if they stay healthy and disciplined in my opinion

WHATEVER you do you weaken another unit and even though DA was our best rec. our recs are probably the deepest unit other than DB.
I love your enthusiasm and optimism for the season, but 10 wins I can't see,DA is NOT going to bethe last starter we lose to injury,unless we get another rec we are deep enough to muddle along with what we have.
Pead or Jenkins can fill in at PR Smith can play the slot and this might be the break he needs to get in the groove and show something.
MAYBE after Saffold comes back you pick someone up and waive a lineman, but I can't see either of those guys playing ahead of ANYONE we have now.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
Thordaddy said:
smram said:
X said:
smram said:
X said:

WHATEVER you do you weaken another unit and even though DA was our best rec. our recs are probably the deepest unit other than DB.
I love your enthusiasm and optimism for the season, but 10 wins I can't see,DA is NOT going to bethe last starter we lose to injury,unless we get another rec we are deep enough to muddle along with what we have.
Pead or Jenkins can fill in at PR Smith can play the slot and this might be the break he needs to get in the groove and show something.
MAYBE after Saffold comes back you pick someone up and waive a lineman, but I can't see either of those guys playing ahead of ANYONE we have now.

Thanks Thor but I was merely saying if our current guys don't perform over the next couple of weeks in the slot. I'm not ready to give up on our young guys either. I said, contingency. That is filling the void over the last five or so weeks of the season through Danny's seven week injury if things don't go well. Then you plug in the next guy... Seven weeks is an eternity for a team that can make the playoffs.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I feel ya man ,and 9 is the number I have in mind and IMO that's good for a WC EVEN a WC home game.
Dude if we beat San Fran either place,IMA need "Depends" and a Valium

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I might be in the minority here but I think you just gotta put Givens and Quick on the field more and let them learn. I don't know why BQ hasn't played much, if he can't grasp the offense or what. But, he obviously has the skills so to me the best way to learn is on the field.