Salary comparison tells why Russell Wilson is game changer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-quarterback-salary-comparison-tells-why-russell-wilson-204321033.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... 21033.html</a>

When breaking down the quarterback competitions around the NFL, I once again pointed out why it makes no sense for a team that needs a quarterback to pass on intriguing players at that position in the middle rounds of the draft.

Well, then Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press unknowingly produced the blueprint for exactly why it's horrible business for those teams to pass on mid-round quarterbacks.

Birkett did a chart that has every starting quarterback's salary information. Go and take a look, it's interesting. And it showed that Seattle's Russell Wilson, one of the top dozen quarterbacks in the NFL right now, is making the least of every NFL starting quarterback, and in most cases less than 10 percent of his peers.

You want a reason why Seattle was able to load up for a Super Bowl run this offseason? You want to know why it was a grave error for hopeless Jacksonville to not even try to see if one of the four fourth-round quarterbacks could be an above-average NFL starter? It's in large part because of that salary chart.

Wilson, who played as well as almost any quarterback over the last half of last season, makes $749,193 annually over the course of his four-year deal that he got as a third-round pick, according to the Free Press' chart. He makes $526,217 in salary this year. That's it.

There are 15 quarterbacks who make $10 million or more annually over their deal (we rounded up Jay Cutler and his $9.98 million). Three more make between $7.5 million and $10 million annually. So 18 starting quarterbacks in the NFL make more than 10 times what Wilson makes every year.

Now, let's look at Seattle's offseason.

Seattle, coming off a season in which it was arguably one of the two or three strongest squads in the entire NFL by the end of the season, loaded up. Receiver Percy Harvin, one of the most dangerous receivers in the league, got a six-year, $67 million deal. Ends Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett were added. They combined for 18.5 sacks last year. Avril got two years and about $13 million. Bennett got one year and about $4.8 million. Seattle had $2 million left in the couch cushions to give Antoine Winfield to be its nickel cornerback.

How could already talented Seattle afford to add two huge impact players on each side of the ball like Harvin and Avril? Because they had Wilson making peanuts while guys like Carson Palmer are making $8 million per year on his deal (I rip Jacksonville, and rightfully so, but Arizona shouldn't get a pass for investing in Palmer, who is overpriced for a guy hasn't played at an above average level in six years, especially for a team that is obviously rebuilding). You think that the Ravens could have done more this offseason if they had an extra $19.35 million, which is roughly the difference in Joe Flacco's average income and what Wilson makes?

Let's go back to Jacksonville. The Jaguars made a franchise-crippling mistake taking punter Bryan Anger ahead of Wilson in the 2012 draft. They compounded that by passing on every quarterback available to them in the fourth round of the 2013 draft.

Perhaps the Jaguars didn't love Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson, Ryan Nassib or Landry Jones. This is the same franchise that took Blaine Gabbert 10th overall once, so we should not blindly believe that their word is gospel on which quarterback will be good or not. At one point or another every one of those four guys was bandied about as a possible first-round pick.

The Raiders did it right. They took Wilson. If he isn't very good, they can move on quickly. If he's good – and about a year ago some people thought he was very, very good – it can change their entire franchise. Finding a franchise quarterback is the biggest key to winning in the modern NFL. The Seahawks found theirs and pay him 22.8 times less what Tony Romo makes from the Cowboys (Wilson and Romo each have one career playoff win). Seattle can afford to take a run at a Super Bowl before the bill comes due for Wilson in his inevitable contract renegotiation. The same could be said for the 49ers, who added players like Anquan Boldin and Nnamdi Asomugha because Colin Kaepernick makes $1.28 million annually.

The Seahawks took a chance in the third round last year, and hit big. They should have legitimate hope of being a Super Bowl contender this year, and for many years to come now that they have a franchise quarterback in place. All of that was the result of risking one mid-round pick. Seems like a small price to pay.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: Salary comparison tells why Russell Wilson is game chang

I hate articles like this. They are only valid in retrospect - which is lame.

Everyone was laughing at the Russell pick at the time. Okay... they probably were still laughing from the Jaguars drafting a punter in the 3rd round, but still.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

CGI_Ram said:

Everyone was laughing at the Russell pick at the time. Okay... they probably were still laughing from the Jaguars drafting a punter in the 3rd round, but still.

I am going to add a question to the KD chat about restructuring Bradford's deal. I think I had read that they have to wait until this season is over to do it because of new rules and that's why nothing has been done there.

If Wilson plays well again next year SEA will be forced to redo his deal, same with Douche in SF. And that means they will have to let a few guys walk away. Hopefully not Dahl lol.

wv

Rookie

CGI_Ram said:

Well yeah its easy to do the 20-20-hindsight thing,
but there were experts who really liked Wilson. Softli as I recall was very high on him.

Reminds me a bit of the Warner situation. He was playing for peanuts in 99.

I wonder if Wilson will start demanding more money soon.

w
v

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

wv said:
CGI_Ram said:

but there were experts who really liked Wilson. Softli as I recall was very high on him.

w
v

True. Softli and obviously the Seahawks... not everyone was laughing. He (Wilson) got caught up in the "accepted size chart" for QB's.

Perhaps someone can chime in; but I think the new CBA does not allow renegotiations?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

CGI_Ram said:
wv said:
CGI_Ram said:

w
v

True. Softli and obviously the Seahawks... not everyone was laughing. He (Wilson) got caught up in the "accepted size chart" for QB's.

Perhaps someone can chime in; but I think the new CBA does not allow renegotiations?
Yeah, he can't renegotiate for 3 years. They got a real bargain. However, that doesn't preclude the team from renegotiating his contract before it comes due and try to lock him up (long term) at a salary commensurate with the rest of the highly productive QBs in the league. If he has one more good year, that's probably what they'll do.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

CGI_Ram said:

everyone loved Wilson before the draft. all said he would be a top 10 pick if he was taller.

if he improves this season like I think he will the seagulls are gonna have to pay him like a franchise qb at the end of the season. if they don't it will get ugly.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

So draft a player at a low salary and use the money saved to spend on high priced FAs. Gotta remember that. Brilliant!

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

Both kap and rw will slide back in obscurity this coming season their offenses going the way of the wildcat and i hate to anyone but one of em is prob gonna get lit up and hurt if not both