Salary Cap Worksheet

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
EDIT: I HAVE UPDATED THE FIRST POST (THIS ONE) TO REFLECT FEEDBACK. UPDATED: 8:00PM EST FEB-02-2013

I am going to publish this worksheet someplace for others to access later (so you can play and modify as you want). But here is my take on the Rams 2013 Salary Cap situation.

If anyone has different information and would like to challenge the figures, please let me know!

* A couple of notes;

(1) I did not insert all the smaller bonuses likely present for the lower salary guys. As a general rule they are most likely $10,000 or less in that neighborhood.

(2) I have assumed remaining bonuses are accelerated and paid immediately if someone is cut. This, however, is not exactly true. Depending on the time of the cut, the bonus could be spread into 2014. This is the purpose of the "remaining bonus column".

(3) The salaries I've highlighted in yellow are some of the popular names floated around as potential cap casualties. Most of them have remaining bonus to write off beyond the amount targeted for 2013.

(4) From this analysis it appears consistent with (what most are saying) the Rams could free up about $10M for free agents (with an additional $8M set aside for rookie pool).

(5) I also have a start on 2014. But, that is not yet complete.

ScreenShot2013-02-02at90242PM_zpsf78d4da9.png
ScreenShot2013-02-02at90534PM_zpsfacdd600.png
ScreenShot2013-02-02at102307AM_zps892afad5.png

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nice!

One thing we have to remember, though, is that the Rams typically put aside about $3M to use in case of emergencies later on in the season. And I remember last year KD said they would be about $25-$30M under the cap this year, but MOST of that would be used to sign our own players and a free agent or two. So I'll be waiting to see how we free up even more money, and these types of discussions tend to give us clearer insight into where those savings can be made.

Some tough choices ahead for KD & Fisher. Don't envy their positions at all this time of year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Keep in mind the $20M-$30M was before Long and JL were extended.

I'm pretty confident I got most of these numbers close.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:

Exactly right. That's why I said, that he said (last year), that we *would* have that, but most of it would be used to re-sign our own players. So far, that's exactly what's happening.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
CGI_Ram said:

Exactly right. That's why I said, that he said (last year), that we *would* have that, but most of it would be used to re-sign our own players. So far, that's exactly what's happening.

Yes, exactly.

By putting this sheet together, it came clear to me; we don't have a lot of wiggle room and there will need to be some cuts/restructures in order to make some FA moves.

Even with cuts; there is not a lot there.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
DR RAM said:
Nice work CGI!

Thank you.

Just looking at this and thinking;

Hunter is a no brainer.

Jackson is next on the radar and this seems to be a work in progress already.

Next; Dahl (I didn't think Dahl would be in trouble... but that's a lot of cash and little bonus left).

Then Mikell. He's not as big of a saving as I first thought. I'd like to see a new deal rather than cut because we are THIN at Safety, but if he's cut it makes sense to carry some of the bonus to next year to help this year's cap.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Thanks CGI that was an excellent posting. As I read more & more of many posts of an extensive list of Ram UFA signings being figured into all these mocks ...I am to the point now I just cease my read as the post looses all merit. The wiggle room is ever so slight from all of what I have read.

Yes the Hunter & Jackson would be easy to release with a sizable amount of cap help but not enough. I as you know am not a Mikell supporter with that cap hit but in reality with the current safety situation with only three safeties signed under contract ...one coming off his second knee surgery in less than 7 months..UDFA Daniels, Dinky skinny dumb but super fast & a gamer UDFA Rod McLeod & the super expensive old man Mikell .....this cut would need to be scoped & then re-scoped in ultra fine detailed to see if its worth the bad situation it would leave the Rams in on the field. I just do not see that cut on Mikell coming.

Now the newly recent discussions on my favorite OL'er Harvey Dahl can not be ignored. The current OL is in much worse shape than the safety DB cadre. Rams centerpiece is Scott Wells had three surgeries in less than 7 months!!!! rehab after rehab and now back in rehab. Two gaping vacant starting OL posts @ OLG & ORT. With the cutting of Hunter you have opened up a vacancy @ your 6th (Swing OT) maybe just maybe Barksdale can be plugged into that hole questionable @ best. Who is your back up center with Wells damaged goods on going..is ERFA Barnes capable? Then throw in the last two seasons of a OLT Saffold who misses way too many full & parts of regular season games to make anyone comfortable in the Rams organization add that he will be a UFA after this season sense surging panic? But the Rams do have three very young green signed OG's ...now that leads us to now due to cap $$shortages Ram org could be forced into releasing the Rams overall best OL'er for the last two seasons??? ORG Harvey Dahl has the look of already being gone to me that 3 1/2 million $$is very low hanging fruit. UFA Chris Williams do you want to work for crumbs @ a job @ ORG??

Think I will spend any more time reading Ram fan posters discussions on the dozens of all pro UFA's that the Rams will sign in a little more than a month? :boing:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Re: Salary Cap Worksheet (Updated)

CGI_Ram said:
I am going to publish this worksheet someplace for others to access later (so you can play and modify as you want). But here is my take on the Rams 2013 Salary Cap situation.

If anyone has different information and would like to challenge the figures, please let me know!

* A couple of notes;

(1) I did not insert all the smaller bonuses likely present for the lower salary guys. As a general rule they are most likely $10,000 or less in that neighborhood.

(2) I have assumed remaining bonuses are accelerated and paid immediately if someone is cut. This, however, is not exactly true. Depending on the time of the cut, the bonus could be spread into 2014. This is the purpose of the "remaining bonus column".

(3) The salaries I've highlighted in yellow are some of the popular names floated around as potential cap casualties. Most of them have remaining bonus to write off beyond the amount targeted for 2013.

(4) From this analysis it appears consistent with (what most are saying) the Rams could free up about $10M for free agents (with an additional $8M set aside for rookie pool).

ScreenShot2013-02-02at102144AM_zps4bff006f.png

ScreenShot2013-02-02at103410AM_zps57966809.png

Your numbers are incorrect in these instances:
With Mikell, he costs us 6 million to cut and 9 million to keep so we save 3 million...the 6 million to cut comes from 2 million in acceleration of signing bonus and 4 million in acceleration of a roster bonus already paid that was amortized

With Dahl, we save 4 million...the 500,000 bonus is not guaranteed(as far as I know)

With Jackson, we save 7 million...we owe him no more guaranteed money, his last remaining proration of signing bonus was pushed from 2013 onto the 2012 cap about a month ago

With Wayne Hunter, we save 4 million...we owe him no more guaranteed money, the bonuses remaining are roster bonuses or workout bonuses and are not guaranteed

With Langford, I don't believe we save anything by cutting him...he had 12 million guaranteed on his contract and I believe a good chunk of that were his first 2 base salaries so we can't cut him until after the year(not sure why we would)...but I could be wrong...that info isn't out there

With Scott Wells, cannot be cut as his entire 2013 year is guaranteed money...I do know that for a fact

Just thought I'd explain some corrections. Otherwise, very good work, CGI!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
BonifayRam said:
Thanks CGI that was an excellent posting. As I read more & more of many posts of an extensive list of Ram UFA signings being figured into all these mocks ...I am to the point now I just cease my read as the post looses all merit. The wiggle room is ever so slight from all of what I have read.

Yes the Hunter & Jackson would be easy to release with a sizable amount of cap help but not enough. I as you know am not a Mikell supporter with that cap hit but in reality with the current safety situation with only three safeties signed under contract ...one coming off his second knee surgery in less than 7 months..UDFA Daniels, Dinky skinny dumb but super fast & a gamer UDFA Rod McLeod & the super expensive old man Mikell .....this cut would need to be scoped & then re-scoped in ultra fine detailed to see if its worth the bad situation it would leave the Rams in on the field. I just do not see that cut on Mikell coming.

Now the newly recent discussions on my favorite OL'er Harvey Dahl can not be ignored. The current OL is in much worse shape than the safety DB cadre. Rams centerpiece is Scott Wells had three surgeries in less than 7 months!!!! rehab after rehab and now back in rehab. Two gaping vacant starting OL posts @ OLG & ORT. With the cutting of Hunter you have opened up a vacancy @ your 6th (Swing OT) maybe just maybe Barksdale can be plugged into that hole questionable @ best. Who is your back up center with Wells damaged goods on going..is ERFA Barnes capable? Then throw in the last two seasons of a OLT Saffold who misses way too many full & parts of regular season games to make anyone comfortable in the Rams organization add that he will be a UFA after this season sense surging panic? But the Rams do have three very young green signed OG's ...now that leads us to now due to cap $$shortages Ram org could be forced into releasing the Rams overall best OL'er for the last two seasons??? ORG Harvey Dahl has the look of already being gone to me that 3 1/2 million $$is very low hanging fruit. UFA Chris Williams do you want to work for crumbs @ a job @ ORG??

Think I will spend any more time reading Ram fan posters discussions on the dozens of all pro UFA's that the Rams will sign in a little more than a month? :boing:

Personally, I think Dahl stays. He's been very good and healthy until that late season injury.

His salary is large, but then again, it's not a balloon either. I'm not giving up on the guy...

Just trying to find money!

I'm glad this is Demoff's job. :bg:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jrry32 said:
CGI_Ram said:

* A couple of notes;

ScreenShot2013-02-02at102144AM_zps4bff006f.png

ScreenShot2013-02-02at103410AM_zps57966809.png

Your numbers are incorrect in these instances:
With Mikell, he costs us 6 million to cut and 9 million to keep so we save 3 million...the 6 million to cut comes from 2 million in acceleration of signing bonus and 4 million in acceleration of a roster bonus already paid that was amortized

With Dahl, we save 4 million...the 500,000 bonus is not guaranteed(as far as I know)

With Jackson, we save 7 million...we owe him no more guaranteed money, his last remaining proration of signing bonus was pushed from 2013 onto the 2012 cap about a month ago

With Wayne Hunter, we save 4 million...we owe him no more guaranteed money, the bonuses remaining are roster bonuses or workout bonuses and are not guaranteed

With Langford, I don't believe we save anything by cutting him...he had 12 million guaranteed on his contract and I believe a good chunk of that were his first 2 base salaries so we can't cut him until after the year(not sure why we would)...but I could be wrong...that info isn't out there

With Scott Wells, cannot be cut as his entire 2013 year is guaranteed money...I do know that for a fact

Just thought I'd explain some corrections. Otherwise, very good work, CGI!

That's the feedback I was looking for.

I will look into this harder and make some corrections. The guaranteed thing is something I've had trouble pinning down.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
CGI_Ram said:
That's the feedback I was looking for.

I will look into this harder and make some corrections. The guaranteed thing is something I've had trouble pinning down.

It's hard to figure out without the proper information. And in some cases, like Langford, it's not out there.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
FIRST POST HAS BEEN UPDATED BASED ON FEEDBACK.