Salary Cap Increase And The Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
The obvious suggestion would be that the Rams can re-sign Saffold easier and get another player or 2 in FA...but I also think it allows the Rams to hold onto guys like Dahl and Wells while they shop and get through the draft. Outside of signing players and being under the cap it gives the team a little insurance and flexibility.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I don't agree with this. I've explained it on other threads but am happy to recap.

It isn't necessarily a bidding war on who has more money. It has to do with the money teams are able to allocate to a position and how much they are WILLING to allocate.

For example...let's say the Rams view Saffold as a $5M/year player...but only have $4M/year to allocate to that position. However, the Chiefs also view Saffold as a $5M/year player and DO have the money to allocate to that player. Now the cap number has climbed and both teams are able allocate the $5M/year to Saffold...it doesn't necessarily mean that the Chiefs are going to outbid the Rams and throw $6M/year.

I don't think Rodger Saffold is viewed at such high esteem that teams are going to be highly bidding for his services. I think he will get some very fair offers from numerous teams, and very well could be more than the Rams are willing to pay...but I think the salary cap raise only helps the Rams and only possibly stays neutral.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't think the salary cap increase changes the Saffold situation, at all.

These Rams know how to value players. Amendola and SJ proves this.

If Saffold gets an offer above the set budget, he's gone.

laramsoriginal

Starter
If Saffold is gone, drafting OL in the first amd 2nd is must. Please don't bring in aging veteran players to play a crucial role on the OL. Time to spend draft picks on talented OL.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
I don't agree with this. I've explained it on other threads but am happy to recap.

It isn't necessarily a bidding war on who has more money. It has to do with the money teams are able to allocate to a position and how much they are WILLING to allocate.

For example...let's say the Rams view Saffold as a $5M/year player...but only have $4M/year to allocate to that position. However, the Chiefs also view Saffold as a $5M/year player and DO have the money to allocate to that player. Now the cap number has climbed and both teams are able allocate the $5M/year to Saffold...it doesn't necessarily mean that the Chiefs are going to outbid the Rams and throw $6M/year.

I don't think Rodger Saffold is viewed at such high esteem that teams are going to be highly bidding for his services. I think he will get some very fair offers from numerous teams, and very well could be more than the Rams are willing to pay...but I think the salary cap raise only helps the Rams and only possibly stays neutral.

Can't say I've ever agreed with flv in history. I'm with you