Saints wanted Tru

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19255164

Will a corner be moved?
While many have been waiting to see if and where Seattle's Richard Sherman is traded, another cornerback already turned down the chance to move teams.

Earlier this month, the New Orleans Saints were willing to trade what was thought to be a second-round pick to theLos Angeles Rams for their franchise cornerback, Trumaine Johnson, who already has signed his franchise tender. Only issue was, Johnson was unwilling to agree to a long-term deal in New Orleans because he so badly wanted to remain in Los Angeles, and the Rams have said they aren't particularly interested in dealing.

Now it will be interesting to see if there's a team on draft weekend that is willing to trade for Johnson without him agreeing to a long-term deal, and simply playing this season on the franchise tender. It would not be ideal for the team trading for him, but if it was confident enough in its ability to re-sign him, maybe a team would decide it would rather have Johnson than an unproven rookie cornerback, as good as this rookie cornerback class is.

Do I expect it? Not at all. But it's at least a situation to watch.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Interesting. The Saints 2nd round pick (41 overall) for Tru wouldn't be bad. Pick 32 for him would be even better.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I figured it would be a 2nd. Anything after that would be kinda silly for a freshly franchised player.

I'm glad the trade didn't happen. I know it's nice to anticipate and then get a new player with all the hopes of them doing great things, but realistically, at the end of the year, how many of the CB's available at 41 will outperform tru? Not saying it won't happen but the rookie would first have to be available and then the rams would have to make the right selection. All in all, not good odds.

A55VA6

Legend
Interesting..

I would have LOVED a 2nd round pick for him.. but thinking positively, maybe he'll play really well this year and we'll get a contract done.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Ok.
If Tru wants to stay with The Rams so badly, why hasn't s deal been done?
Tru is a solid, proven player.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
Ok.
Probably because he is asking for more then the Rams are comfortable giving him. Let him play another year in Phillips D and see how he does. Then offer him a fair contract based on his career performance, injury history, etc. and if he really wants to play for the Rams he will, or he can get more than he's worth from some other team.

Psycho_X

Legend
Ok.

Does seem contradictory. Tru's agent is either greatly over valuing him or the Rams just simply aren't convinced he's worth a long term starters money but felt it was worth at least paying him as a stop gap veteran.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I wouldn't want to play for that shit team either.

Just saying.

The aints. LOLOLOLOLOL

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Keep him, we're a better team with him. We just need to extend him and lower this years hit a bit.

Big Game

Living The Dream
Tru is from LA and has said on many occasions that he loves playing in his home town. So hopefully he balls out this season under Wade and we get the long term contract done.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
There's also an unspoken angle to it where Tru may just want to be a hot free agent, and pick his destination. If he accepts the Saints long-term offer, he may never get that opportunity. So he goes with "I really want to stay in LA," but keeps his asking price too high for LA to get a deal done. And eventually they stop franchising him (next year) and he can pick his place.

That's only a possibility, and I wouldn't ever assert it as truth, or even probable truth. Just something else to consider, and a reminder that there's too much we don't have personal knowledge of for us to really make a solid assumption.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
How the F where the going to trade for Tru when they are in cap hell? That is why in my mock I sent him to the Titans.

I would of certainly taken a 2nd for Tru

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting. The Saints 2nd round pick (41 overall) for Tru wouldn't be bad. Pick 32 for him would be even better.

Yeah I'm sure the Rams were all over that offer. Having picks at 37 and 41 would have ensured they could get a CB to replace him and then a project type later maybe round 4.

I like Tru, so hopefully his desire to stick around in LA plus him seeing the impact that Phillips is going to have on this unit will get him to lower his price to reasonable range. If not, so be it and sayonara MFer.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I'm surprised we haven't gotten a deal done yet. Probably has something to do with his injury history and inconsistent play. Nevertheless, if he has a lights-out season he'll be in for a big payday, if not we just wasted 16mil. Sounds like a lose / lose to me.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Maybe they were serious about letting Wade get to know him a bit before they try to ink him long term.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Why would true want to leave his hometown when he's going to make 17 million dollars a year in a fresh new Rams environ?
Next year, as pointed out, he can almost pick where he wants to play if he decides to go anywhere.

My guess is he plays for 17 million and signs a long-term contract with us in the off-season with a lot of a guaranteed up-front.

I also think we're going to see a hundred percent effort and maybe even a career year out of Trumaine.
Reasons being;

He's a pro playing at the peak of his athleticism.

Who's playing for the Mega contract.

He's a HomeTown hero.

He's smart enough to realize it could end any minute so get as much money as possible up front.

That's what I would do.