Saints/Vikings review

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
i just watched the replay.

The Vikings were able to run on the Saints with Murray.

Thielen fumbled and it resulted in a long Saints recovery with a 15 yard penalty racked on. That turned the score around. 17-13

3rd quarter still Minnesota on their own 40 goes for it on 4th and 1 and fails resulting in a Saints field goal

Still in the third Cousins under pressure throws an int right into the arms of a defender for a pick six. 27-13

So three big mistakes led to 17 points for the Saints. Gifts, if you will, that changed the game.

The Saints had a good drive mostly running out the clock resulting in a field goal.

Before and after the mistakes the Vikings offense was moving the ball on the ground and in the air. Clean up the mistakes and I think the Vikings could have won that game easily.

Now I know that the Rams will be in the Superdome, but nothing about the Vikings/Saints game tells me that winning the upcoming game is or should be some insurmountable feat, as is being depicted. I don’t understand why it’s been a landslide in favor of the Saints, when it comes too who the media is picking.

The Saints look very much like the same team that they were last year. And the Rams beat them last year.

Psycho_X

Legend
Agreed, the Saints aren't otherworldly. I'd rank them slightly better than they were last year but so are we. So no reason we couldn't control this game and win it like we have all season. It'll still be a shoot out till the end but as long as we control the turnover game and don't have any stupid mistakes I say we win.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agreed, the Saints aren't otherworldly. I'd rank them slightly better than they were last year but so are we. So no reason we couldn't control this game and win it like we have all season. It'll still be a shoot out till the end but as long as we control the turnover game and don't have any stupid mistakes I say we win.

The media going Ga Ga over them had me a little worried. That’s why I watched for myself.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
For some reason, maybe just the homer in me, I think the Rams will blow them out.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Another note too, the Vikings defense was banged up. Joseph, Sendejo, Barr and Rhodes were all on the injury report last week as questionable or worse! I think the Rams' defense will put up more of a fight than Minnesota.

@Elmgrovegnome while I don't disagree the turnovers helped put the Saints in good field position, I think their D deserves a little credit for forcing those mistakes. I hope McVay and Co is going to stress ball security and to take what's given during this week of practice.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The Saints are similar to us in many ways. Offensively they have great balance, they have a RB who is a threat in both run & pass and a depth dude who can come in and gash defenses. Good line play in front of Brees, and that unpredictability helps them just like it does our offense. Main difference in the offenses is that Brees can't consistently hit the long ball, he can put it up sometimes but his range is iffy and his ball can float and get picked; he's far better obviously with the short and intermediate stuff.

Defensively the Saints have high end CB1 and excellent slot CB play. Similar to us tbh. Except for the fact that our CB1 (Talib) is out. Which is why I do not like this matchup for us. Their defensive front has been more consistent than ours in run defense, ours is probably better on the rush though in terms of consistency in QB hurries.

These are two closely matched teams, with us missing our top CB and it being in a hostile environment. So we'll see how it goes. I am very worried but who knows maybe we can find a way to win this thing. It's gonna be nasty though, no doubt about that in my mind at least.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Saints are similar to us in many ways. Offensively they have great balance, they have a RB who is a threat in both run & pass and a depth dude who can come in and gash defenses. Good line play in front of Brees, and that unpredictability helps them just like it does our offense. Main difference in the offenses is that Brees can't consistently hit the long ball, he can put it up sometimes but his range is iffy and his ball can float and get picked; he's far better obviously with the short and intermediate stuff.

Defensively the Saints have high end CB1 and excellent slot CB play. Similar to us tbh. Except for the fact that our CB1 (Talib) is out. Which is why I do not like this matchup for us. Their defensive front has been more consistent than ours in run defense, ours is probably better on the rush though in terms of consistency in QB hurries.

These are two closely matched teams, with us missing our top CB and it being in a hostile environment. So we'll see how it goes. I am very worried but who knows maybe we can find a way to win this thing. It's gonna be nasty though, no doubt about that in my mind at least.

Was reading on their forum that their slot CB has given up a passer rating of 133 despite his pick 6 in last week's game.

Lattimore has also been a little worse than last year.

My main concern is their pass rush with the crowd. I also think we come out passing because their run D is so good.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
It will come down to the trenches.

Which team’s OL and/or DL will impose their will?

Everything else is just details.

Hawaii Ram

Rookie
Do you all feel that they will blitz us on 3rd and long because the packers were so successful doing it? Or will they play coverage and let the pass rush get there? Personally hoping to see more screen passes to Gurley to keep them honest. One way or the other I’m sure Mcvay will be prepared.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
The thing I think no one has really mentioned is I think we play better on the road, than we do at home (last 2 years). Now, I'm sure many a Saints fan will point out they are a different animal. But I don't think so. While communication is tougher on the road, I think since our team is so tight, it doesn't hurt them like it would other teams. But that is my take on things.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Saints should've lost to the Browns so they are plenty beatable.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Do you all feel that they will blitz us on 3rd and long because the packers were so successful doing it? Or will they play coverage and let the pass rush get there? Personally hoping to see more screen passes to Gurley to keep them honest. One way or the other I’m sure Mcvay will be prepared.

I think they will try. But since Davenport is out, I would go after his replacement's side w/ screens early as his backup w/ be trying to make his own mark, thus be an (in theory...) easier mark for success. But of course, everyone has found out, the key to giving us problems on 3rd down, is keeping us behind the sticks on first and second downs. And they can't blitz every down. Kupp is better than Reynolds at finding the hot spot. And Reynolds didn't look bad in the 2nd half the other day.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Was reading on their forum that their slot CB has given up a passer rating of 133 despite his pick 6 in last week's game.

Lattimore has also been a little worse than last year.

My main concern is their pass rush with the crowd. I also think we come out passing because their run D is so good.

Lattimore started slow, go back and watch the game they lost in the opener to Tampa and he wasn't the same guy. But during their push and win streak he's improved game to game. Right now, for this game, Lattimore is better than any of our CBs in terms of being a CB1 and matching up with opposing top wideout.

Cooks should be able to win some vs Lattimore. Thomas will win a lot vs Peters. That's basically the best way to put it I suppose. But again the teams are similar in a lot of ways.

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
For some reason, maybe just the homer in me, I think the Rams will blow them out.

I'm going to go ahead and say it: Rams by 20. What they do, we do better. I really believe that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Another note too, the Vikings defense was banged up. Joseph, Sendejo, Barr and Rhodes were all on the injury report last week as questionable or worse! I think the Rams' defense will put up more of a fight than Minnesota.

@Elmgrovegnome while I don't disagree the turnovers helped put the Saints in good field position, I think their D deserves a little credit for forcing those mistakes. I hope McVay and Co is going to stress ball security and to take what's given during this week of practice.

Theilen’s fumble looked to be more of a ball security issue.

The 4th and 1 stop, well yeah that was by the Saints defense but for some reason Payton called a pass play that was taking too long to develop for a quick attempt.

The int was caused from pressure however Cousins should have just ate it, or three it away.

So yes and no.