Saints put every player on the team on the trade block except Brees & Cooks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Report: Saints want 'complete retool' of team
591.jpg

A source with knowledge of the situation tells ESPN's Jeremy Fowler the Saints "appear" to have placed every member of their roster on the trade block "but Drew Brees and Brandin Cooks."

Fowler reports the Saints want a "complete retool." Everyone "but Brees and Cooks" is obvious hyperbole, but there's no doubt New Orleans is undergoing a massive makeover, having dealt Ben Grubbs and Jimmy Graham already, while allegedly placing rising star Kenny Stills on the trade block. From ownership on down, the future of the Saints is in serious question after a 7-9 year.
Source: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter
Mar 12 - 2:49 PM

V3

Hall of Fame
Umm, if they're going to rebuild, they'd be better off selling their old QB while he still has a lot of value. By the time their rebuild is done, Brees will be like 38 or 39. No bueno.

They could get at least a couple 1 rounders for him, I would think. Not entirely sure how his contract would affect things.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Can we take the Jairus Byrd mistake off their hands? (I haven't looked at the contract structure)

Jahri Evans or Max Unger, come on down! Zach Strief too!

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Umm, if they're going to rebuild, they'd be better off selling their old QB while he still has a lot of value. By the time their rebuild is done, Brees will be like 38 or 39. No bueno.

They could get at least a couple 1 rounders for him, I would think. Not entirely sure how his contract would affect things.
I don't think they could move that contract if they tried.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Alright, did some digging.

OG Jahri Evans has two years left on his current deal.

If he's traded, we'd be on the hook for:
$6.8M base in 2015 with $700k in roster/workout bonuses
$8M base in 2016 with $700k in roster/workout bonuses

Given our current cap status, I'd consider giving up a 4th rounder for that.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler

I believe you'd be on the hook for $19M this year and at least $10M next year even if he's cut as I'm pretty sure half of his 2016 contract is guaranteed.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I were Brees, I'd retire now.