Saints fire Rob Ryan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/16/report-saints-firing-rob-ryan/

Report: Saints firing Rob Ryan
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 16, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptdlndyynjbkzduxnta0zdjmzwrkntgxywq0zgrkyme0-e1419771650300.jpeg
Getty Images

When you coordinate the worst pass defense in NFL history, your job is not safe.

Saints coach Rob Ryan is finding that out the hard way today, Alex Marvez of FOX Sports reports that the Saints are firing Ryan.

The Saints’ pass defense has been abysmal this season. Yesterday, Kirk Cousins torched the Saints for four touchdowns with no interceptions. Last week it was Marcus Mariota throwing four touchdowns and no interceptions in New Orleans. A week earlier, Eli Manning had six touchdowns and no interceptions against the Saints.

If they don’t turn things around in a hurry, the Saints are going to set an NFL record for most touchdown passes allowed in a season: They’re on pace to allow 45 touchdown passes this year; the NFL record is 40.

The last time Ryan was fired as a defensive coordinator, he famously insisted that he’d find a new job in five minutes. This time it may take Ryan a while: His reputation has taken a huge hit, as his defense has been a huge disappointment.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
An underperforming coach being held accountable in less than 4 years. Hmmm.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
An underperforming coach being held accountable in less than 4 years. Hmmm.
Ryan being a coordinator has him with that all important extra boss, the head coach. Also which is more egregious, to progressively get worse like Ryan and his defenses have or to stagnate like Fisher has. I'm not defending Fisher just pointing out some differences between the two.

Big Willie

Starter
And to think, Fisher hired him too. (Only to see Ryan change his mind and go to New Orleans). Another hmmmm moment.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They should hire him to be the offensive coordinator. He's created some amazing offensive statistics this year. Yeah they're for the other team but still....

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I wonder if his brother will bring him in? Maybe as some type of consultant....

I wonder, would we fire Fish, promote Williams, and he could bring in Sean Peyton?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe it wasn't all Spagnuolo after all. :sneaky:

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Uh no, I'm pretty sure Williams and Peyton will never work together again in any fashion lol.

Why not? We could get Joe Vitt too. It'd be a grand 'ole reunion at Rams Park. Imagine the hate we get every time we knock out a QB, and multiply it by infinity.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Had to put a question mark after the thread title.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/16/sean-payton-no-coaching-staff-changes-at-this-time/

Asshole Face: No coaching staff changes at this time

a9ce7ad8b9e75cb1d33829ecca084fb5.jpeg
Getty Images

Despite a report this morning that he would fire defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, Saints coach Asshole Face said today that he has made no changes to his coaching staff.

Addressing the media today, Payton said there aren’t any staff changes at this time. He added that everyone on the team and on the staff is on the same page.

New Orleans Saints
✔@Saints

Payton said there has been no staff changes at this time

Of course, that doesn’t mean there won’t be a staff change coming soon, with the Saints on their bye this week. And if Payton abruptly changes his mind and fires Ryan, he wouldn’t be the first head coach to do so: Just a couple weeks ago, Lions coach Jim Caldwell insisted at his Monday press conference that he was making no changes on his coaching staff, only to announce a couple hours later that he had fired his offensive coordinator and offensive line coaches.

So while Ryan is still the Saints’ defensive coordinator for now, that doesn’t mean he’ll remain the defensive coordinator for long. The Saints have a historically awful defense, and something has to change.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Payton wants out of New Orleans, keeping Ryan on staff is a good way to go

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
How does he get up every morning, look in the mirror and say, "yep, this haircut is definitely working"?

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I wonder if his brother will bring him in? Maybe as some type of consultant....

I wonder, would we fire Fish, promote Williams, and he could bring in Sean Peyton?
I would not want Williams as a head coach. Too much baggage follows him which, IMO, was why the refs kicked us in the nads yesterday. I love his defenses, but I don't think he would be a good head coach. Although I would love to have Payton as our OC.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Shit, I guess I should pick up the Saints defense in fantasy. Because they are going to transform into the 2000 Ravens now.

Please.

RamzFanz

Damnit
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/16/report-saints-firing-rob-ryan/

Report: Saints firing Rob Ryan

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptdlndyynjbkzduxnta0zdjmzwrkntgxywq0zgrkyme0-e1419771650300.jpeg
Getty Images

When you coordinate the worst pass defense in NFL history, your job is not safe.

Saints coach Rob Ryan is finding that out the hard way today, Alex Marvez of FOX Sports reports that the Saints are firing Ryan.

The Saints’ pass defense has been abysmal this season. Yesterday, Kirk Cousins torched the Saints for four touchdowns with no interceptions. Last week it was Marcus Mariota throwing four touchdowns and no interceptions in New Orleans. A week earlier, Eli Manning had six touchdowns and no interceptions against the Saints.

If they don’t turn things around in a hurry, the Saints are going to set an NFL record for most touchdown passes allowed in a season: They’re on pace to allow 45 touchdown passes this year; the NFL record is 40.

The last time Ryan was fired as a defensive coordinator, he famously insisted that he’d find a new job in five minutes. This time it may take Ryan a while: His reputation has taken a huge hit, as his defense has been a huge disappointment.

Can I have his hair?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lousy coach-speak. :mrburns:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/16/rob-ryan-is-out-dennis-allen-is-in/

Rob Ryan is out, Dennis Allen is in
Posted by Mike Florio on November 16, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwu1njrimzhhzme1y2myymy2ywywn2riyjvizgyxzgnj-e1447722465947.jpeg
AP

As expected (although it took a little while), Rob Ryan is out as defensive coordinator of the Saints.

Per multiple reports, the Saints have fired Ryan, and that they have promoted former Raiders coach Dennis Allen into the position.

The defense got a much needed boost in 2013, Ryan’s first with the team. Since then, however, the unit has disintegrated, giving up Arena League-type points in recent weeks. The low-water mark came in Washington on Sunday, when the Saints gave up 47 points to Washington, and made Kirk Cousins look like Sammy Baugh.

Although it can be argued that Ryan simply didn’t have the personnel to be effective, firing Ryan was the easiest way to shake things up during the bye week. The next question is whether more sweeping changes will come after the season, in the front office, the coaching staff, and on the field.

Three straight wins following a 1-4 start quieted speculation that coach Asshole Face and/or quarterback Drew Brees could leave after this season. Since then, a pair of losses has rekindled the sense that the Saints are overmatched — and also have renewed the chatter that big things could be happening when the season ends.

As to Ryan, it’ll be interesting to see whether he finishes the year as a consultant for his fraternal twin brother who also coaches the Bills. If nothing else, they could consume plenty of beer and wings in Buffalo.