Saffold top 5 guard in NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
c7a66be0-39f8-465f-9be9-c2fbed93f494.png

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
The scheme is much better for all of these lineman.

Players are being used in ways that accentuate their strengths.

I have seen multiple times that it's a down block from C, RG, and RT with Saffold kicking out and playing a right tackle role. Both on pass and run plays.

They are mixing up the ways they present blocking to the defense and it throws them off guard.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I poo-poo'd PFF on another thread, so I'm not gonna reverse course here.

But I think it's fair to say that Saffold has become an above average lineman.

I remember when many were on his case. Glad he continues to improve and is getting better coaching.
Always liked Saffold, but I think his good play has more to do with who is on the left and right of him. Whit and Sullivan allow his to just be a worker bee, and not the go-to veteran for all of the youngsters on the Oline. He has stability now between them.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Not saying Saffold isn't good, But I have no faith in anything PFF says!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
1706-TOTW-offense-768x432.jpg

LG – Rodger Saffold, Los Angeles Rams
PFF Grade: 83.1

Elite Stat: Rodger Saffold allowed just one sack across 26 pass-blocking snaps.

The Rams didn’t pass a whole lot this week against the Jaguars, and though Rodger Saffold did give up a sack, it was the only pressure he allowed across 26 pass-blocking snaps. He was able to assert himself in the run game against a Jaguars defense that has not been as dominant against the run as it has been in pass-rushing, and RB Todd Gurley gained 59 yards before contact overall.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-2017-week-6-team-of-the-week

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Dude is due a break.
Not a literal break.
A figurative one.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
His shoulders are a couple seasons past his last surgery and he looks healthy out there. (y)
There was some mention early on that the surgery corrected genetic problems with the shoulders.

Something concerning a labrum?
Maybe?

RamWoodie

Legend
It's overdue for Saffold to get his props. The guy went through some tough injuries and still played pretty well.
Now he's a main cog on the Oline. He and Havenstein got it going on!

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So glad that Rodger is having one of his better seasons. Having to go to work next to Greg Robinson during the 2014, 2015 & 2016 seasons must have been a living hell. RS departed the 2015 season early & went IR with a destroyed right shoulder but never the less his play sure was not helped by his left side partner GRob..

RS has been starting primarily @ left OG since 2014 season. So RS should have that left side down now. His best season as a pro until present was @ starting Left OT back in his rookie 2010 season. When the 2018 season begins Whitworth & Saffold will both be 36 & 30 yrs old. These two well seasoned vets if they can remain healthy are the key here to this offense. Both will be under contract in 2018 just like Havenstein (26), Brown (25) & Donnal(26). The only veteran not under contract will be the 33 yr old starting center John Sullivan.

I will continue to suggest utilizing salary cap funds for NEW UFA veteran starting OL'ers over any other position. I would be busy trying to talk Redskins UFA Spencer Long (6-5/320 ) into joining this Rams team in 2018. Long can start @ all three interior positions. Rams have 8 draft selections in 2018 & I would use them on filling all the holes on defense with the exception of one for a top left Tackle. Rodger Saffold may yet build on this early season success & surprise many before this season is over. RS has never known what it like to work & operate in a fully functioning NFL OL until now.

Last edited:

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I called him out in the spring and he has been playing well all year. No complaints and it will be the first off season in a long time that I won't be hoping he's a cap casualty. I hope Whit teaches him little things and Saffold can then teach the next LT those same details after Whit is gone.

you called him out??? Meaning???

You went to his home?
You went to practice?
Or you called him out online?

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
So glad that Rodger is having one of his better seasons. Having to go to work next to Greg Robinson during the 2014, 2015 & 2016 seasons.must have been a living hell. RS departed the 2015 season early & went IR with a destroyed right shoulder but never the less his play sure was not helped by his left side partner GRob..

RS has been starting primarily @ left OG since 2014 season. So RS should have that left side down now. His best season as a pro until present was @ starting Left OT back in his rookie 2010 season. When the 2018 season begins Whitworth & Saffold will both be 36 & 30 yrs old. These two well seasoned vets if they can remain healthy are the key here to this offense. Both will be under contract in 2018 just like Havenstein (26), Brown (25) & Donnal(26). The only veteran not under contract will be the 33 yr old starting center John Sullivan.

Speaking of this... I hope we bring in LT either thru the draft or FA. He needs to be young and have all the tools to succeed, someone that can learn from big Whit. Even if Whit's play ends up declining in the next year he still needs to be out there teaching our guys the ropes. He is a true LT and coach, I hope the Rams keep him on in some capacity for a long time to come.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
So they misspelled his name on that graphic and McVay himself discounted PFF’s system but...nice to get recognition.

He’s a powerful man and a seasoned pro. I think this is the first year he actually gets to have fun on the job...as well as many others who have suffered this team for several years

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If you believe PFF
They have inherent biases...sorta like, if I was a grader for PFF...and I got to watch a Lions game...I might be a lil easier on a certain left tackle...We are humans...LOL

Saffold played a good game...I thought our run blocking was awesome...huge lanes for Gurley and Brown. Saffold has always been our best lineman...I think he's still our best lineman. I think I bet on who will be the Rams best offensive lineman...and I choose Saffold. Dude is strong as a bull...and moves decently.

I'd still like the mid-season accolades to slow down....it's still 10 games left.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Just as important, or even more so, Jamon Brown is really starting to play some ball.