Saffold Staying At RG?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

Anyone know if this is just a stopgap move or will Saffold stay at RG for the rest of the season?

Is it possible that the Rams cut Dahl and Wells, plug Saffold in at RG and Barrett in at center?

I dont know the cap ramifications of this, but would this free up enough room to sign Saffold and then draft another swing lineman?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think they're looking at it as a permanent solution.
I don't think Saffold is on board with the decision, however.

…..

Legend
It puts the two best options on the right side into the game. They're both 6'5 but Barksdale has about 10 or 15 pounds on Saffold. Saffold has a year experience on Barksdale and should be able to absorb the move better, so it makes perfect sense to me.

PhxRam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What about the cap stuff?

Doable?

I guess Saffolds demands will be the key.. I doubt highly anyone pays an often injured player top LT money.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RDJPnct.png

Don't like it, Saffold will be injury prone regardless of if he's playing LT, RT or RG if you're expecting Saffold to be a permanent solution at any position you're just opening your self up to having a hole somewhere on your line.

UK_Rammer

UDFA
Don't like it, Saffold will be injury prone regardless of if he's playing LT, RT or RG if you're expecting Saffold to be a permanent solution at any position you're just opening your self up to having a hole somewhere on your line.

Totally agree, much like DA last year I think it's time to move on. Barksdale has been solid at RT but the line, especially the interior, needs to be a priority this offseason. I don't think Saffold fits in with that, unless the price is right.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
The way I read it is Saffold wants to play and help the team this year. JT said that Saffold really likes being a Ram but also really wants to be a LOT. For this year, Saffold is doing his best to be part of the team and is trying hard to play well at RG. He will play there until Dahl comes back, and then I believe he will move to LG.

I think Saffold would extend his career if he stayed at OG. I believe it would be less taxing on his body from an injury standpoint. And I have read that the Rams FO thinks he can be a Pro Bowl OG.

I think it's a bit tricky on what he does next year. He's not gonna play LOT on the Rams, and I doubt he has a strong preference for RT over LG. He will certainly test the market on playing LOT somewhere else, but if the moneys not great for a guy with a significant injury history will he take less to play LOT elsewhere? It's a wait and see, I guess.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I think they're looking at it as a permanent solution.
I don't think Saffold is on board with the decision, however.

What do you base each statement on?

I look at it as a chance to get their 5 best healthy offensive linemen on the field. I think anything is possible going into the offseason on what they are thinking.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
What do you base each statement on?

I look at it as a chance to get their 5 best healthy offensive linemen on the field. I think anything is possible going into the offseason on what they are thinking.
1. Just a hunch (i.e., "I think")
2. He didn't even like moving from LT to RT, and he's been a tackle his whole career.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
...and he's been a tackle his whole career.

And how has that worked out for him so far? Not so good, huh.

Maybe a change to OG will be a lucky charm for his career longevity. Less stress on his body.

Just maybe the Rams offer him a good deal to play OG.

What's better? What pays more? To be a Pro Bowl OG or a decent LOT who can't stay on the field?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
My gut tells me that Rodger is gonna stay a Ram regardless of what position he plays.

Teams aren't gonna pay him a lot for LT, or RT for that matter. They either (a) already have their tackles set or (b) rather get their own through the draft.

Rams are building something good here.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
IMO. Saffold moves to LG if or when Dahl comes back. Then we have best 5.
Long term, I think the Rams will make a competitive offer to Saffold. He wants to paid as a LT.. But that's not going to happen here.
Some teams might overlook his injury history and pay him LT money which is their business. If not ,he might refocus on the Rams offer and be back here next year.

UK_Rammer

UDFA
Teams always covet LT's, Saffold has showed he can play there well (when healthy) in flashes. Personally I'd like to see him given a shot on the inside for the rest of the year and see what he can do. I don't think he has a future as a tackle here.

…..

Legend
it doesn't matter where he wants to play and it doesn't matter about next year.

RIGHT NOW he's playing RG and RIGHT NOW it puts the BPA on the field.

worry about the rest in the off season.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If Barron can get another shot (Cowboys), why wouldn't Saffold try the same?

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I think he is gone, somebody will take the risk. Hope we can find a couple guards and either Barnes or Jones can step into the center job. Barnes may have the upper hand in this battle right now, but I sure hope Jones comes to camp looking ripped ( long way to go).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Anyone know if this is just a stopgap move or will Saffold stay at RG for the rest of the season? Is it possible that the Rams cut Dahl and Wells, plug Saffold in at RG and Barrett in at center? I dont know the cap ramifications of this, but would this free up enough room to sign Saffold and then draft another swing lineman?

No inside information on this...IMO Saffold will remain @ Right OG until Harvey Dahl's knee is back to full 100%. Once Harvey is ready the he returns into his starting position. I guess your question on the cuts is in reference to 2014 not this season right? As X pointed out Saffold contract is over when this 2013 season is ended. Saffold should be a serious HOT commodity UFA on the open market for OL deprived teams who are panic shopping for fixes in a leaky OL. If a former UFA's like TE like Jared Cook or CB Cortland Finnegan can get over $$ 10 mil a yr .....Saffold who has shown is a much better player than both of them when he is on the field should land something similar to them.... but not as a Ram we do not have the cap $$$ to spend cuz the Rams have players Finnegan & Cook under contract still collecting guaranteed money.

As far as the 2014 off season ..with the OLG performance still way below par & Chris Williams contract concluding... you have one OL hole there @ OLG then the Rams will be without a valid Swing OT to play should OT's Barksdale & Long get hurt there's your second hole that they must fill. It would be doubtful that the Rams would release their starting ORG & OC along with those other two holes so they have four OL holes to fill this off season with very little cap $$$ for those mega million signing bonuses. I would say this that Boudreau would be smart to use Saffold to start @ LEFT OG position in place of Chris Williams to help Jake Long to open holes for Zac & Benny for the remaining games.

Three back to back seasons where Saffold missed large chunks of those seasons certainly tainted & soured the Ram Org. on taking a chance once again on depending on or investing more massive cap $$$ in on one of the NFL's most injury prone OL'ers! I love Rodger Saffold game day play but I would not invest much $$ in him.

Barrett Jones is not the back up OC for the Rams now its Tim Barnes. If Wells was not here in 2014 IMO Tim Barnes would be the center in 2014 with Barrett as his reserve. IMO in 2014 Barrett will be Boudreau's PERFECT active game day dressed Main reserve for all three interior OL positions! Barrett's brain should make him a outstanding center in the future for the Rams, but before that he will use that brain to be the main back up.

F. Mulder

Starter
Barrett Jones is not the back up OC for the Rams now its Tim Barnes. If Wells was not here in 2014 IMO Tim Barnes would be the center in 2014 with Barrett as his reserve. IMO in 2014 Barrett will be Boudreau's PERFECT active game day dressed Main reserve for all three interior OL positions! Barrett's brain should make him a outstanding center in the future for the Rams, but before that he will use that brain to be the main back up.

I think Saffold is gone too. In fact, barring further injury this season, he has probably INCREASED his street value by being able to play both Tackle positions AND Guard. I like his play but he is just nor durable enough to count on; especially given his likely contract.

Regarding Jones, I'm not sure I agree that he won't be starting somewhere on the line next season. IF Wells stays then I can see him taking one of the Guard spots. If I'm not mistaken Barnes is pretty much only a Center. I'm not sure Barnes would be graded ahead of Jones IF the only spot open were at Center but maybe they do use Jones as the Swing lineman. The other player is Smith. I think Williams is gone but is Smith in their plans as a potential starter? Backup? or will they look to upgrade there as well?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Regarding Jones, I'm not sure I agree that he won't be starting somewhere on the line next season. IF Wells stays then I can see him taking one of the Guard spots. If I'm not mistaken Barnes is pretty much only a Center. I'm not sure Barnes would be graded ahead of Jones IF the only spot open were at Center but maybe they do use Jones as the Swing lineman. The other player is Smith. I think Williams is gone but is Smith in their plans as a potential starter? Backup? or will they look to upgrade there as well?

Your right Tim Barnes was a starting OC for three seasons in college earlier before that he was an OG. Barnes has beefed up now closer to 310 pounds. Barrett's college career screams loudly ...100% versatile swing guy & capable of playing & starting @ all five OL positions for a NCAA Championship teams. Sure Barrett he could start just about anywhere in this Ram OL if needed. But the Rams should have OG's RFA Shelley Smith & Harvey Dahl returning. Barnes did play all three interior OL posts in pre season. Jones played OC & ORG in pre season. Barnes has never played OT.

No telling if the Rams will finally break out Barrett the remaining 6 games left...but Boudreau may want to see what Barrett can do during a NFL game??? I bet you if we do see him it will NOT be @ center. Here's an interesting thing ..OLT/ORT Rodger Saffold is 6ft 4 1/2 inch tall ...Barrett Jones is the same height. Saffold has 9 -3/8 inch hands...Jones has 10-1/4 hands...Saffold has 33 5/8 arms...Barrett has 34 1/4 inch arms....both completed 27 bench reps in the combine...Jones is always though of as more pure center than any other OL position but his body size is more similar to a ORT. Barrett started only 14 games @ center but started 35 other Bama games @ OG & OT. Think it would be a short sale on Barrett to call him just a center