Saffold Set for Surgery/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
St. Louis Rams will pick 10th in NFL draft
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/15011/rams-will-pick-10th-in-nfl-draft

SEATTLE -- Observed and heard in the locker room after the St. Louis Rams' 20-6 loss to the Seattle Seahawks:

Forward thinking: Sunday's loss dropped the Rams to 6-10 on the season. Given that it was a meaningless game in terms of the playoffs, the loss might have helped the Rams in some ways. They locked up the 10th pick in the draft with the loss. The Rams got some help on the way to that pick, as fellow six-win teams Minnesota and New Orleans came out with victories to get to seven wins. It still likely keeps the Rams out of range of the top quarterbacks but might at least make a trade up less of a pipe dream.

Cunningham takes blame: As the Rams tried to make a comeback late in the game, quarterback Shaun Hill found running back Benny Cunningham in the left flat. Cunningham took the ball and ran toward the end zone. As he dived forward with his arms outstretched, Seattle safety Earl Thomas came over and jarred it loose. The ball bounced through the end zone for a touchback. Game over.

Cunningham was clearly trying to make something happen but took responsibility for the miscue afterward.

"I actually thought I was in the end zone," Cunningham said. "I was really just trying to see the replay to see if they got the right call, which they did. It was just a bad play by me."

Surgery set: Rams guard Rodger Saffold has played through a shoulder injury all season -- an injury that will require offseason surgery. After the game, he confirmed surgery will take place Jan. 7. Linebacker James Laurinaitis, who had ankle surgery last offseason and has been dealing with a foot issue this year, said he will not need another operation.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't fault Benny for trying to make a play there.

As for Saffold, he played in all 16 games this season and seemed to play through many of the usual "dings" we've been accustomed to him suffering week to week. I'm gonna back off a bit because I've been very critical of him in the recent past for being soft. I still think he's fragile, but he played tougher this season IMO. I was also impressed with the leadership he showed this season. Hope surgery goes well and he'll be ready to roll at RG in 2015.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am glad that Laurinaitis was hurt...BECAUSE...he looked painfully slow this year. Hopefully, he'll look better next year.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I am glad that Laurinaitis was hurt...BECAUSE...he looked painfully slow this year. Hopefully, he'll look better next year.
Agreed. His lateral movement made him look five years older in one offseason.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't fault Benny for trying to make a play there.

As for Saffold, he played in all 16 games this season and seemed to play through many of the usual "dings" we've been accustomed to him suffering week to week. I'm gonna back off a bit because I've been very critical of him in the recent past for being soft. I still think he's fragile, but he played tougher this season IMO. I was also impressed with the leadership he showed this season. Hope surgery goes well and he'll be ready to roll at RG in 2015.

He's also been a Swiss army knife. Can plug him in anywhere but center.

<-- Saffold fan.

jap

Legend
So Beetlejuice will finally get an overhaul---it's about time! With he and GRob in place, they need to solidify the other three spots in time for Sam's return, hopefully with reliable backups in house.

xander47

Rookie
Anyone get the nagging feeling with Saffold filling in the other spots on the offensive line, that if they don't draft anyone on the offensive line, that it's going to be Person at LG next year? It seems like Person's been working at this position the most. They probably only had Saffold at LG this year to give Robinson a veteran to play next to.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Anyone get the nagging feeling with Saffold filling in the other spots on the offensive line, that if they don't draft anyone on the offensive line, that it's going to be Person at LG next year? It seems like Person's been working at this position the most. They probably only had Saffold at LG this year to give Robinson a veteran to play next to.

I believe the reason we saw Person in @ OLG so much is primarily due to the fact Fisher & Boudreau are totally absent a reserve swing OT on the roster period or lets say Zero back up to the OLT or the ORT posts. Thus Saffold must be yanked from his starting OLG post where he is highly effective & inserted @ OT. Thus is why I always bring up the need not only for a new ORT they also need a reserve swing OT on the roster too so to keep Saffold in at OG.

Mike Person worked exclusively in TC & pre season of the two left side OL posts. Mike Person would appear to have won over Boudreau as the top reserve OG on our 2014 roster from this play then. Its just too bad Person will enter free agency as a UFA in a few months.

However I feel that Mike Person 6-4 @ 299 pounds will always have issues with the stronger larger NT/DT's he would face if he was our starting OLG. Person however is good enough to play all the OL posts as a top reserve & should be offered an cap friendly offer as a reserve OL'er. If there was one position that Mike Person could be effective in our OL as a starter it would be @ CENTER. Fits his size good.

fearsomefour

Legend
Good Saffold is getting his shoulder fixed right away.
The plays by Kendricks and Cunningham are really symbolic of this season for the Rams. Kendrick gets in the hands with a well thrown ball and somehow turns that into an interception killing a drive, Cunningham tries to make a play and fumbles....this is a still an O that can't get out of its own way most of the time.