Saffold returns to practice, eyes Cleveland game/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Saffold returns to practice, eyes Cleveland game
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_bff09bc1-0e39-5f7d-b041-1bdf7ad2b90c.html

Just in time for a trip to his hometown of Cleveland, it looks like Rodger Saffold is ready to play for the Rams.

Saffold suffered a “stinger” in his left shoulder just before the team’s FanFest on Aug. 2 at the Edward Jones Dome.

“I think what happened was I got hit from two different angles on one bad spot and just caught a stinger,” Saffold said after Tuesday’s practice at Rams Park.

A stinger basically is a stinging sensation in the neck and shoulder area. It can be very painful and can sometimes linger. The party line at Rams Park is that this particular injury was minor, and the Rams were simply being cautious.

Given Saffold’s history of shoulder issues — as a free agent he failed a physical with the Oakland Raiders — it makes sense to play it safe. The Rams want him for the long haul this season. Whether he plays much in August doesn’t mean much in the big picture.

“It was nowhere near as bad as last time,” Saffold said, apparently referring to an injury last preseason. “But as a coach, you want to make sure to take care of your players. They’ve seen you play, so they know what you can do.

“So they were like, ‘Hey, why don’t you just sit this one out? Let’s just make sure that you’re good so we don’t get any future problems.’ “

Not only did Saffold sit out the first preseason game against New Orleans; he was a spectator for the Green Bay game as well.

On Tuesday he returned to practice for the first time in 2½ weeks but was active only in individual drills. He did no 11-on-11, or “team,” drills. With just two full practices left before the team travels to Cleveland for Saturday’s third preseason game, common sense says Saffold will need some 11-on-11 work before being thrown into exhibition play.

Saffold already is lobbying head athletic trainer Reggie Scott to get in the lineup against the Browns.

“I know you say preseason doesn’t really matter, but you just want to compete,” Saffold said. “It’s just the type person that you are. I’m doing everything extra-safe, but at the end of the day I just can’t wait for the season.”

Saffold doesn’t know at this point if he’s playing Saturday, let alone how much he’ll play. He said the only thing he hears from Scott is that he’s day-to-day.

“I’m the type of guy that’s going to force the issue,” Saffold said. “So we’ll just see how good his willpower is these next four days.”

So Saffold might try to wear him down, as if Scott is a pass-rusher huffing and puffing by the fourth quarter.

“Absolutely,” Saffold said. “I’ll punch him in the chest.”

Just joking there. Then again, since he has yet to play in the preseason, Saffold bemoaned the fact that “I’m probably the only person here that hasn’t hit another person off of this team. I’m itching to hit somebody else.”

Reporters then volunteered one of their brethren as a potential human tackling dummy, but Saffold didn’t jump at that offer.

Saffold says he doesn’t feel rusty because he has been doing a lot of running and other work while sidelined.

“I know they want to be super cautious, and that’s fine,” he said. “At the end of the day, I’ve been working since I got hurt. So really, I hope this transition back onto the field won’t be that big of a transition. I feel in shape. I feel rested. I’m good all the way around.”

Even though right guard remains a relatively new position for him, Saffold says he has gotten enough work during OTAs and the early part of training camp that he can get his technique back fairly easily. The playbook isn’t a problem, because this is the third year in offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer’s offense.

Nonetheless, cohesion and chemistry are as important on the offensive line as anywhere on the football field. And except for about a dozen or two snaps during the days before Saffold’s injury, the starting offensive line has not worked together as a group throughout camp. That’s practice time as well as preseason contests.

But the O-line is getting closer to that elusive reunion. Center Scott Wells made his preseason debut against the Packers. Left tackle Jake Long is expected to make his exhibition debut against the Browns.

Will Saffold be out there against Cleveland?

“Of course I plan on playing, man,” Saffold said.

Scott may have different ideas.

In the preseason opener against the Saints, the Rams had nine starters sidelined. The number shrank to five against the Packers. If Saffold plays, there’s a chance that all 22 starters could be in action against Cleveland.

Besides Saffold, defensive tackle Michael Brockers returned to practice Tuesday, and unlike Saffold did both individual and 11-on-11 work. Brockers suffered a sprained ankle during the FanFest session, and until Tuesday, hadn’t practiced since.

Coach Jeff Fisher said Brockers practiced “like he hadn’t been hurt. I’d say that’s a good sign.”

Cornerback Janoris Jenkins (hamstring) also practiced Tuesday after being held out of the Green Bay game. Linebacker James Laurinaitis (ankle), who has been sidelined since getting stepped on 2½ weeks ago, was in uniform Tuesday but only worked on the side. He did not practice.

“We’ve not ruled him out for this week’s game,” Fisher said. “He’s turned the corner and he was moving pretty well.”

TexRamFan

Rookie
The one thing that has always scared me about Saffold is the constant reporting and news I read/hear about how strong his bench press is. Coming from a Strength & Conditioning background and working with professional athletes for many years, one of the main things I was taught was to look for was imbalances or asymmetries in the body. Studies have shown people with large asymmetrical strength differences from opposing muscle groups are at a higher risk for injury. If all the reports are right and Saffold is such a beast on the Bench I can only guess that the support system for his Shoulders (mainly the back side of the upper back) is probably much, much weaker in comparison. This makes it hard for them stabilize and support the way they are supposed too. Especially when he gets "jammed" from odd positions from opposing rushers. Don't get me wrong, it's good to be a beast in the bench, but you got to have some support to go with it and I fear Saffold may lack in this area. I am sure Reggie and Co are working hard in these areas and HOPEFULLY this dude can stay healthy cause we NEED HIM!

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I want to see the entire starting offense for the whole first half against Cleveland on Saturday. I want to see what they can do.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I agree with you on the unbalanced muscle groups but you would think that professional trainers would be conscious of that.

TexRamFan

Rookie
I agree with you on the unbalanced muscle groups but you would think that professional trainers would be conscious of that.

I agree tahoe, I do not mean it to sound like I am calling out the staff. But these imbalances take years to develop and are usually not fixed with a few things. My guess is Saffold has always excelled in the Bench Press and as most humans he has probably gravitated to performing it often and heavy due to the fact he is good at it. Football weight rooms get pretty intense and most guys want to do what they are best at and do it often. So it probably has taken years to develop. It won't be an overnight thing to fix and that's what is scary to me. Again, I would imagine the staff is doing everything they can to improve it and hopefully this will translate into a healthy season for him, its just not off to a good start.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Anyone catch the Saffold presser? He does a good interview. Jokes around, acts like its all fun, then gets serious when the questions get serious. I enjoy his interviews the most. Kind of the opposite of Brian Quick who just gets incredibly nervous and stutters. I pray to god Saffold is ready to go. He said he feels good to go and would have played if they let him. Was just a stinger. His previous injury was 100 times worse, so I'm less worried. But he wants to play this week.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I agree tahoe, I do not mean it to sound like I am calling out the staff. But these imbalances take years to develop and are usually not fixed with a few things. My guess is Saffold has always excelled in the Bench Press and as most humans he has probably gravitated to performing it often and heavy due to the fact he is good at it. Football weight rooms get pretty intense and most guys want to do what they are best at and do it often. So it probably has taken years to develop. It won't be an overnight thing to fix and that's what is scary to me. Again, I would imagine the staff is doing everything they can to improve it and hopefully this will translate into a healthy season for him, its just not off to a good start.
I agree with you, it could certainly be possible. Everyone likes doing bench press and not necessarily doing lat rows and other back exercises. Its a good thought really.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I sort of doubt that it's a muscle imbalance, not that the things spoken of aren't possible ,it's just that the trainers and strength coaches are highly trained and have acces to devices that test for those things and it's just unimaginable they haven't tested him and worked to make it right.
A schlep working alone in a gym, sure ,I did pullups every day because my delts were overpowering I guess my lats and I was having some extreme pain in a shoulder ,do 20 or so pull ups every day and my shoulder would be fine, got my abs in shape at 40 and prevented back surgery so I concur heartily with the idea of muscle ibalance being a problem , just doubt it in this case, I could be wrong.
I'd be more inclined to suspect a tiny rotator cuff scar or tear that isn't bad enough to cut for yet

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We do know one thing over the last few yrs he has been unable to remain healthy when starting @ OLT or ORT doesn't matter what OT post either but he can not stay on the field. However the short period of time he was starting @ ORG he remained on the field & played the best since being drafted. That one small fact gives me some hope that he can keep healthy....maybe.

Some say that he played 8 full straight games @ OLT in 2012 but before that he was hurt in pre season & very early in the 2012 season & before that he spent the latter part of 2011 on the IR. Fisher, after seeing Saffold play those 8 games @ OLT decided Saffold was not going to be his OLT any longer & went after Jake Long.

In 2013 Fisher moved Saffold to ORT. Once again hurt very early in the first series & missed most of all of pre season & was not effective in his first regular game @ ORT. Then very early in the 2nd reg game he was hurt again. He was never able to wrestle away the ORT post back from ROCK Barksdale. Later in 2013, next time Saffold was injured & seen helped off the field was when he was playing OLT for Jake Long.

No other unit in the NFL is like the OL where these 5 players must work bonded together like a machine not individually. (Like a smooth V8 they need time to break in all these working parts on a new OL before it is ready to carry a big load) Hopefully the Long-Robinson-Wells-Saffold-Barksdale will have enough time to get it together.

This 2014 model Ram OL has changes from 2013. Saffold RG,Robinson LG & Barksdale RT are the new components in new places. With only one brand new part rookie Robinson...but what a part he is American made material made to make history as a Ram OL!

Last edited:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I want to see the entire starting offense for the whole first half against Cleveland on Saturday. I want to see what they can do.

Not me. I'm good with a good majority of our starters. I'd play only the ones that really need. Jake Long, Robinson, and Mason need to play. I really don't care if we played much of any of the starters beyond that.

TexRamFan

Rookie
I sort of doubt that it's a muscle imbalance, not that the things spoken of aren't possible ,it's just that the trainers and strength coaches are highly trained and have acces to devices that test for those things and it's just unimaginable they haven't tested him and worked to make it right.
A schlep working alone in a gym, sure ,I did pullups every day because my delts were overpowering I guess my lats and I was having some extreme pain in a shoulder ,do 20 or so pull ups every day and my shoulder would be fine, got my abs in shape at 40 and prevented back surgery so I concur heartily with the idea of muscle ibalance being a problem , just doubt it in this case, I could be wrong.
I'd be more inclined to suspect a tiny rotator cuff scar or tear that isn't bad enough to cut for yet

Remember though Thordaddy, NOT all of these players are under the surveillance of the Rams staff all year long. Most of their "intense" training goes on in the off-season which is NOT under the close eye of the staff of the Rams. These players can go train with anyone. A disturbing thing about the field of Strength & Conditioning is that anyone can claim they are an expert and "train" athletes. Buddy's, buddy's buddy's or an old college teammate can "train" players without the knowledge that the expert staff of the Rams or any other team for that manner. Or players can train on their own.

When the players report after the off-season the staff is then put to work and often times they are way behind when it comes to these issues. And it is NOT there fault. I am sure they test and try to adjust to what they find as most staff's do, but if an athlete spends a few months working on certain things that may be what some deem incorrect, the staff is then behind the 8-ball and only has weeks to try to improve upon it.

I am not saying this is the case for Saffold as I know nothing about him, his training regimen or his full injury history for that matter.... I am just stating his injury trend/history since with the Rams is one that concerns me. Then again, his injuries may just be flukes or "bad luck" for all I know.

Last edited:

nanotech

Rookie
I agree with Thordaddy. A stinger is a very specific type of injury. In fact, it is an injury to the brachial plexus, the nerve bundle supplying nerves to the shoulder and arm. When injured, the sensation is a tingling or burning/stinging in the shoulder and down the arm(thus stinger). Many times they are caused by landing awkwardly on the shoulder and side of the head, straining/stretching the nerve bundle, leading to the burning sensations. Alternatively, it can be caused by contact around the same areas. It can take a little while or days for the pain/sensations to dissipate. If it was diagnosed as a stinger, I'd say it is only related to the collision, not some inherent weakness.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The one thing that has always scared me about Saffold is the constant reporting and news I read/hear about how strong his bench press is. Coming from a Strength & Conditioning background and working with professional athletes for many years, one of the main things I was taught was to look for was imbalances or asymmetries in the body. Studies have shown people with large asymmetrical strength differences from opposing muscle groups are at a higher risk for injury. If all the reports are right and Saffold is such a beast on the Bench I can only guess that the support system for his Shoulders (mainly the back side of the upper back) is probably much, much weaker in comparison. This makes it hard for them stabilize and support the way they are supposed too. Especially when he gets "jammed" from odd positions from opposing rushers. Don't get me wrong, it's good to be a beast in the bench, but you got to have some support to go with it and I fear Saffold may lack in this area. I am sure Reggie and Co are working hard in these areas and HOPEFULLY this dude can stay healthy cause we NEED HIM!
you are right...hope he's doing some back work...& pull ups....& squats...& core....and..just get that guy on the field....

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Anyone catch the Saffold presser? He does a good interview. Jokes around, acts like its all fun, then gets serious when the questions get serious. I enjoy his interviews the most. Kind of the opposite of Brian Quick who just gets incredibly nervous and stutters. I pray to god Saffold is ready to go. He said he feels good to go and would have played if they let him. Was just a stinger. His previous injury was 100 times worse, so I'm less worried. But he wants to play this week.
Saffold is a monster on game day...One of the more vocal team leaders IMO

RamWoodie

Legend
Saffold and Barksdale are going to pancake some clowns this year. I'm hoping the Rams are to the point where you don't worry about the OLine...like in the 70's and 80's...they had monster OLines, and every Pro Bowl there were at least three Rams on the Pro Bowl Oline. Guys like Tom Mack, Jackie Slater, Doug France, Rich Saul, Dennis Harrah...the Rams were KNOWN for their OLine back then...(y)

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rodger Saffold says he's ready to return
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/10710/saffold-says-hes-ready-to-return

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- When St. Louis Rams offensive lineman Rodger Saffold played a preseason game in his hometown of Cleveland last season, he suffered a shoulder injury.

As Saffold and the Rams head back to Saffold's old stomping grounds for their third preseason game this year, Saffold looks poised to return from another shoulder injury.

"Of course I plan on playing," Saffold said. "I’ve felt good for awhile. I know they want to be super cautious and that’s fine but I’ve been working since I got hurt, so really I just hope this transition back onto the field won’t be that big of a transition. I feel in shape, I feel rested. I’m good all the way around."

Saffold suffered what he and the Rams call a "stinger" in his left shoulder in a training camp practice on Aug. 1. The stinger has been enough to keep Saffold on the sidelines since, and kept him out of the team's first two preseason games against Green Bay and New Orleans. He did return to practice on a limited basis Tuesday, taking part in individual drills but sitting out the 11-on-11 portion of the workout.

Although Saffold and the team have insisted it's a minor injury, all parties have opted for a cautious approach. Rightfully so, given Saffold's extensive injury history. And his shoulder was such a point of contention in the offseason that the Oakland Raiders backed out of a lucrative multi-year contract with Saffold when their doctors failed him on a physical because of it.

In no small part because of that history, the Rams made it clear to Saffold soon after the injury that they were in no hurry to get him back in the preseason. Saffold is entering his fifth season in the league and his third in Brian Schottenheimer's offense, so keeping up with the mental part of his job should be little problem.

"It was nowhere near as bad as last time, but as a coach you want to make sure you take care of your players," Saffold said. "They’ve seen me play so they know what I can do, so they say 'Why don’t you just sit this one out? Let’s just make sure you’re good so we don’t have any future problems that could really be a problem.' I just said OK."

It remains unclear whether Saffold will get to play against the Browns as the Rams continue to monitor him day to day. Saffold joked Tuesday that he's the only Ram who has yet to hit somebody in a different uniform and that he intends to test the willpower of head athletic trainer Reggie Scott this week in an effort to get back on the field.

Getting Saffold back would give the Rams a chance to have their projected starting offensive line together for the first time in a game. It would also give Saffold some needed reps at right guard.

Although Saffold showed well at his new position for the last part of the 2013 season, the sample size remains small. He is comfortable at the position. but spent the early parts of camp playing left tackle and both guard spots, rather than settling at his projected position.

The chance to get some work in preseason games should allow things to slow down for Saffold inside.

"You want to be able to be under control but still be able to play fast and physical," Saffold said. "Sometimes you can get too excited or overly excited and you move too fast and get yourself in bad positions. I’m able to recover some of those things, but I want to get my technique down pat to the point where it’s kind of easy when it comes to the game."