Saffold ready to contribute at right tackle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
St.Louis (KSDK Sports)- When the Rams signed Jake Long as a free agent, many thought Rodger Saffold would be upset the Rams signed someone to play his position. There was talk that he cut off communication with Jeff Fisher and the organization.

If there was a problem, it appears to be water under the bridge. Rene Knott caught up with Saffold on Thursday, and he says he is happy as long as he has a position to play.

[5]2369738181001[/5]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.ksdk.com/sports/pro_football/article/379789/30/Saffold-ready-to-contribute-at-right-tackle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ksdk.com/sports/pro_football ... ght-tackle</a>

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Rodger is ready to work. If we get the rest of the pieces to work this can be an above average line. Like one piece.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I would just like - for once - to have 5 guys start and finish 16 games.

.... or 19.

Either way.

Sgt. Ram

the present moment is all you will ever have
I like the sound of 19 straight starting week one.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
X said:
I would just like - for once - to have 5 guys start and finish 16 games.

.... or 19.

Either way.
Yeah, what's that like anyway........it's been so long, I've almost forgotten. :???:

A55VA6

Legend
Glad to see he's ready to work. We're going to need Rodger this season.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I like Rodger's attitude. He's out to prove shit on the field,,, I can hear it in his voice.

Kick some fucking ass Rodg!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
A55VA6 said:
Glad to see he's ready to work. We're going to need Rodger this season.

Understatement on Rams needing Roger this season. Never a question about his ability to be a very good run blocking OT when healthy same can be said about his pass blocking too. Saffold would not be learning a new post if he had had that one thing....health to stay on the field. Saffold ain't had that it. When playing the OLT post you have to have that said it. Thus the org made the right decision as it look currently and purchased a new candidate Jake Long who has the it, even when he has been injured.

Even with this being Saffold's last season under contract the Rams did not draft a ORT for future concerns? Big gamble there if Saffold does what he does best...miss games due to injury...I have no ideal why the Rams would gamble on that. I hate to see waver wire OT's like ex Bear journeyman Chris Williams or ex Raider Joe Barksdale starting @ ORT , but that's what we have. I sure hope that Saffold is there for those 19 games!

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
I am getting really excited for this season to start. Just knowing that we are solid on the book ends gives me faith in knowing Bradford will have enough time to throw deeper patterns and/or go through his progression longer. I am not too worried about our LG situation, because someone will solidify it with the help of Brodeau.

nighttrain

Legend
Tell ya all what, Barrett Jones-C-OG-OT was one of the smartest Ram picks in the draft, I see this guy being first off the bench of backup OL
train

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If Saffold is playing well and the OL is kicking ass do you resign him at a contract that makes him happy to stay at RT solidifying that spot for a long time???

If I'm Snead I have no problem paying him pretty much what he would get on the open market as a LT if it meant Bradford having time to throw and the RB's having holes opened. The LT v. RT thing for me is not such a big deal. Both are about as important I think when we consider the exotic and changing pressure schemes that get cooked up.

If sometime this year they strike a deal I won't be shocked.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
nighttrain said:
Tell ya all what, Barrett Jones-C-OG-OT was one of the smartest Ram picks in the draft, I see this guy being first off the bench of backup OL
train

He gets a lot of praise. If he's healthy, he could contribute for sure.

It sure would be nice to see both tackles play all 16.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
LesBaker said:
If Saffold is playing well and the OL is kicking ass do you resign him at a contract that makes him happy to stay at RT solidifying that spot for a long time???

If I'm Snead I have no problem paying him pretty much what he would get on the open market as a LT if it meant Bradford having time to throw and the RB's having holes opened. The LT v. RT thing for me is not such a big deal. Both are about as important I think when we consider the exotic and changing pressure schemes that get cooked up.

As much as I'd like to believe this... if Rodger is healthy... he won't sign an extension. A healthy RS is a hot free agent and he knows this.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
CGI_Ram said:
LesBaker said:

As much as I'd like to believe this... if Rodger is healthy... he won't sign an extension. A healthy RS is a hot free agent and he knows this.

If the money is right and the situation is right I think he could sign an extension and be happy about it. I hope he has a great year and the Rams pay him well to stay. This OL has a chance to be top 5, that's worth major cheddar to a GM and HC don't you think?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Fisher must see in 2013 if Saffold can #1- Be an effective ORT in this the NFL & #2- Be a healthy ORT for the first time since the 2010 season ended...before looking at a long term high $$$ contract.

If Saffold proves to be every bit as good @ ORT as OLT & is healthy I see no reason not to offer a sizable extension close to what Jake Long got. Sam Bradford needs good OT's to be effective. Saffold should greatly benefit to being teamed with a player like Harvey Dahl when compared to OG that Saffold has played next to since 2010 like Quinn Ojinnaka, Jacob Bell, Jason Brown & Robert Turner!

Please allow me to remind my fellow ROD'ers that Rodger Saffold has a nasty streak in him just as Harvey does. Those two intense players should be dynamic duo not seen around here in some time! I hoping that this right side duo will provide Saffold a good reason to look hard at remaining a Ram for the next half decade. Saffold also assumes the important swing OT role in case Long can not suit up. His value to this team if he is successful in fulfilling those two goals mention above is very high!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
BonifayRam said:
Fisher must see in 2013 if Saffold can #1- Be an effective ORT in this the NFL & #2- Be a healthy ORT for the first time since the 2010 season ended...before looking at a long term high $$$ contract.

If Saffold proves to be every bit as good @ ORT as OLT & is healthy I see no reason not to offer a sizable extension close to what Jake Long got. Sam Bradford needs good OT's to be effective. Saffold should greatly benefit to being teamed with a player like Harvey Dahl when compared to OG that Saffold has played next to since 2010 like Quinn Ojinnaka, Jacob Bell, Jason Brown & Robert Turner!

Please allow me to remind my fellow ROD'ers that Rodger Saffold has a nasty streak in him just as Harvey does. Those two intense players should be dynamic duo not seen around here in some time! I hoping that this right side duo will provide Saffold a good reason to look hard at remaining a Ram for the next half decade. Saffold also assumes the important swing OT role in case Long can not suit up. His value to this team if he is successful in fulfilling those two goals mention above is very high!
And he would be awesome to have as our go to LT, if anything were to happen to Jake Long for one game.

I'd try to sign him.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Selassie I said:
I like Rodger's attitude. He's out to prove shyte on the field,,, I can hear it in his voice.

Kick some freaking ass Rodg!
I agree. The dilemma is what if Rodger does awesome this year and is a free agent? Is he even willing to sign with the Rams because he felt slighted? I'm not sure if what he's saying isn't just teak-speak, but really how he feels. Our O line is going to rely on him

nighttrain

Legend
BonifayRam said:

Good Post BFR
train

BadCompany

Rookie
It would certainly be nice if Saffold has a great year, has fun, wants to stay and everybody lives happily ever after. But what are the salary cap implications here? If Saffold wants/deserves Long-type money how is this going to affect us elsewhere? What is next year's draft looking like, OT-wise? Would it not be smarter/better/necessary to use one of our firsts next spring on a starting OT and save our cap money for elsewhere?