Saffold on Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I haven't check the numbers, but Cromwell may have had a better year than Gurley. Pryor has also proven to be a good WR. Kessler played in a better offense imo.
The Brown's running game was much better, as is their line. Pryor and Britt are pretty much even statistically, but the Brown's still have edge in passing. Is that from good wr play, or qb play, or both? Either way the rams have the worst offense in the league.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Because he's the QB? Oh. I see how it works now.
Just the linemen. They can go freak off and get called garbage, slobs, idiots, etc.

Goff was under pressure on 17/27 of his drop backs. That's Goff's fault?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Goff was under pressure on 17/27 of his drop backs. That's Goff's fault?
No, but holding onto the ball longer than you should, and not delivering on open looks is.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
No, but holding onto the ball longer than you should, and not delivering on open looks is.

I'm not sure what quarterback (rookie at that) would've performed well given the abysmal performance of the online. Given the pressure Goff was under, the hits he took, and the number of times he was sacked. I'm placing this one on the online. Agree to disagree...

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Saffold sounds frustrated. He's been a ram for 7 long years. He's probably heard tales of righting the ship numerous times, only to dissapointed. Especially after 4 years of Fisher, talk is cheap.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Just the linemen. They can go freak off and get called garbage, slobs, idiots, etc.

There is a serious double standard at work - but a freshman is a freshman and a sophomore got it's name from the Greek word "foolish" as you know. So as a society we seem to give the new guy a little more time before evaluating them as a bust or garbage or slob etc...

Goff is pretty brand spanking new - he offers hope for the future. And will get a little more slack than those on the oline will at this point at the end of the season

but the online is different

especially with guys like Saffold who unlike Goff has been here for some time, and he of all people are more responsible for the "culture" of losing than a rookie who played tough. And i think we can all agree after watching every game of this dudes career that he does in fact ... suck

Greg Robinson. I loved the pick then and still like the pick considering we got Aaron Donald in the same 1st round. When someone called him dumb as a box of rocks i responded with the Wonderlic scores for GRob and the guy he was suggesting we replace (kalil) and how he scored better on the test. I didn't say 'why don't you say Goff not smart cause he doesn't know where the sun rises?' Instead, I just responded to how i think the guy does have a decent football IQ and he shows flashes of brilliance as well as all the faults we knew about the kid coming out of Auburn. So 3 years later when the kid has the same deficiencies as he did in college, i'm taking the huge leap and saying it was coaching. I mean Fisher did get fired. And GRob is still our LT of the future.

Rob Havenstein - we all like this guy. He played really well last year. All rookie second team. Didn't allow a sack. This year he has played horribly as a sophomore. But members here have pointed out that he looks to be injured and playing on one leg the whole year. So the guy goes from being a huge disappointment to being sort of heroic and playing through the injury. Again the fault lies on the coaching staff, specifically Fisher. If Fisher knewnof the injury and played him regardless that's not cool. I mean with the moves the FO and Bones have been making last two games you can stsrt to speculate as to the contention between Fish and the FO to some degree. Havenstein out on IR and Keenum in street clothes.

Donnel is a Rubik's pyramid. There is a lot of discussion about his value. And it's good stuff to read.

And with Brown and Wichman there has been plenty of good in-depth discussions on their performance.

And nobody is trashing Battle, Murphy, Rhaney etc... If anything we want to see them play

I believe we are all pissed to some degree about Saffold's big mouth here at the end of the season. It's just weak ass shit

So...These are just some of my observations.
But i am definitely in the camp of giving Goff his due priaises under the circumstances he endured in 2016. The guy played with balls. i love it. Reminds me of Warner's toughness. He got an arm. He's our Franchise QB.

A year with a new coach and a fresh influx of guys that want to battle with Goff I see a lot more of this in our future

image.jpeg

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I would say at least two sacks were on Goff yesterday. He didn't pull the trigger on a deep pass to Brian Quick and turned into the rush. And the other he just held onto the ball too long.

The pressure got to him badly this season. I know it's not all on him, but I'm hoping he can rebound next year. Because all the really good QBs make their lines better.

Peyton Manning was always one of the least sacked QBs every year. Yet the next season his old OLine looks like a pile of garbage. That's because Siemian is inexperienced and doesn't know all the calls and motions yet. It takes time.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm not sure what quarterback (rookie at that) would've performed well given the abysmal performance of the online. Given the pressure Goff was under, the hits he took, and the number of times he was sacked. I'm placing this one on the online. Agree to disagree...
That's cool. I don't have a problem with a different view on that.
My *only* beef was saying "Fuck Saffold" for no other reason than Goff got sacked.
He's a QB - not a Faberge Egg.

And again, I submit that Goff had his own issues with those sacks.
Even the commentators commented (imagine that) on it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The pressure got to him badly this season. I know it's not all on him, but I'm hoping he can rebound next year. Because all the really good QBs make their lines better.

Peyton Manning was always one of the least sacked QBs every year. Yet the next season his old OLine looks like a pile of garbage. That's because Siemian is inexperienced and doesn't know all the calls and motions yet. It takes time.
Yeah, I'm not worried about Goff (yet). He's a rookie, and all the stories about him not being ready were clearly accurate. It takes time to diagnose defenses, recognize formations, know when to get rid of the ball, and when not to. We'll see if the new system is more QB-friendly and not quite as 'experimental'. I am encouraged by his ability to maneuver in the pocket, and he does throw lasers. Just needs to work on anticipation and accuracy, and that comes with time.

Psycho_X

Legend
For clarity sake Saffold tweeted this last night after this. I'm not a fan of RS either but think he just poorly expressed what he was trying to say with the first quote.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
For clarity sake Saffold tweeted this last night after this. I'm not a fan of RS either but think he just poorly expressed what he was trying to say with the first quote.

Certainly makes me feel a little better about the comment, considering it seemed quite pessimistic.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Didn't think so.

Knee-jerk reactions are always a poor decision.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think it all comes back to how the Rams handled his addition from day one.

Fish wanted a QB, but after getting him he pushes Keenum as the leader of the team and starter from day one. Instead of doing what a more QB-savvy team like Philly did where they made their investment the focus of their offense in spite of him looking a lot like Goff did. Philly simplified things, schemed it up for him to have an easier time, and traded the veteran everyone on the team would prefer they play.

The Rams expected their high pick to adjust to their offense and know it. Which I personally thought and still do was a mistake. They took him for a reason and should have stayed true to that and built it around him from day one.

And tbh his standing with the team followed. This was Case's team as a result and he was the high priced rookie who didn't get it done in the minds of some of these guys.

But fast forward to the new regime, provided they bring in a good offensive coach, he will build it around what Goff does well and have him ready to go by using the camp and OTAs to ensure he's in charge of a scheme he can handle and in which his talent will shine through. Next year, IMO, it will be Goff's team.

Goff had his chance . Case won the job.

I think The Rams needed to keep Foles & draft picks.What was the difference from the offensive line this season ,compared to last ?? Reynolds ??

I think The Rams could have been a playoff team , if they signed JJ21 & used
the extra cash there. Add a 1,2 2nds & a 3rd rd pick &!the structure would be there.

Badfinger

RamStalk Refugee
Name
-
Goff had his chance . Case won the job.

What? When? Didn't Fisher name Keenum the starter before OTAs? Goff should have been given every possible 1st team rep, all off season, thru TC and preseason. Go all in. Otherwise, why bother giving up all those picks?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What? When? Didn't Fisher name Keenum the starter before OTAs? Goff should have been given every possible 1st team rep, all off season, thru TC and preseason. Go all in. Otherwise, why bother giving up all those picks?

Exactly.

Fish thought Case would get him to the playoffs, plain and simple. Knowing what he knows now he would probably do what many of us wanted, and play the kid with an offense stacked with controlled/simplified reads. The hope would be that while he'd struggle out the gate he would start to settle in down the stretch.

I mean what's done is done. But I do think all of that affected the way the players look at him, because they haven't seen him start to hit that curve where he is really clicking in the offense. We don't know what he would have done if they played him early, but either way that was never going to happen with a head coach in year 5 who needed to win. Fish had made his decision to sink or swim with Case, and tbh if the run game had been stronger, i.e. the OL in particular had lived up to his expectations, it might have worked out for him.

Last edited:

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg

Honestly, I have to go back and look at ALL of the sacks again to assign blame. I do remember one of them though, where he had 3 wideouts basicly going 20+yds balls out downfield...and all of them were smoothered with coverage. Should he learn when to dump it off faster to avoid the sack? Sure!... but I think it's really tough when your receivers get no seperation from the coverage.

fearsomefour

Legend
Saffold is part of a line that allowed Goff to be sacked 7 times in 3 quarters...freak saffold
Yeah.
As said before some of those are on Goff. Holds the ball forever.
It's a two way street.
Is a vet like Saffold going to be blown away by Goff or particularly care about his feelings? No. Why should he?
Pretty clearly the issues with the O run deeper than just the line played like garbage (they did) and Goff played badly (he did)......time for the O to start from scratch.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I disagree . Fisher never just gave the starting job away with any of his first round picks. Rob Hav' earned it pretty quick. Aaron Donald had to earn his spot as well. Tavon Austin as well.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Honestly, I have to go back and look at ALL of the sacks again to assign blame. I do remember one of them though, where he had 3 wideouts basicly going 20+yds balls out downfield...and all of them were smoothered with coverage. Should he learn when to dump it off faster to avoid the sack? Sure!... but I think it's really tough when your receivers get no seperation from the coverage.

That is the scary thing with Jared Goff. He got sacked so often at CAL . Blame it on Offensive Line , but he still held on to the ball to long then as well. He gets out of trouble , but the NFL is so much faster & stronger.
Jared Goff is still young & has a quick release. 7 sacks is mostly on offensive Line. Got to love the toughness though.