Saffold injury??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Shuie3225

Starter
Hey guys do we have any update or more info on Roger? It didn't look good and losing him is the last thing we need.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Sounds like they don't think it's serious. Looks like we dodged a bullet with Bates too.

Hope you are right! While I HATE the Gaines injury I think losing Saffold would be much more damaging to the Rams season! The Rams seem to have some depth at the CB position but VERY little (At least, experience wise!) at the OL position!

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I hope he's okay. He is necessary for our O-Line success.

Okay, you can beat me down for only stating the obvious!

Shuie3225

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree that losing saffold would hurt us more than Gaines. First preseason game in the first quarter and to see him holding his shoulder like that was pretty scary...I'm hoping for the best.

Ramfreak

UDFA
Name
Ramfreak
Even if Saffold isn't injured seriously, he's just another play from going down again. Never seen an olinman go down as much as he has. Usually it's pretty serious when they do but he still manages to come back. Makes you wonder.

RamBill

Legend
Rams get good news on Daren Bates, still awaiting word on Rodger Saffold
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...n-bates-still-awaiting-word-on-rodger-saffold

The St. Louis Rams offered a mixed bag of injury news over the past 24 hours.

Speaking to reporters via conference call Saturday night, Rams coach Jeff Fisher gave an update on linebacker Daren Bates and guard Rodger Saffold, both of whom suffered injuries in Friday's preseason opener against the Oakland Raiders. Fisher also declined to offer an update on cornerback E.J. Gaines, though only hours later the team confirmed Gaines is lost for the season following foot surgery.

The Gaines news is undoubtedly bad for the Rams considering he was probably the team's most consistent corner in 2014. But Fisher didn't bring exclusively bad news to the table.

Bates, who suffered a knee injury in the second quarter and was reportedly seen in the locker room on crutches, was perhaps the biggest concern to miss extended time coming out of the 18-3 loss to the Raiders. But Fisher said the team got positive returns on its special-teams leader.

"We got good news on Daren," Fisher said. "He’s got an MCL sprain, so it’ll be a couple weeks, but it’s a significant difference between an MCL and an MCL and ACL. So he’ll be back. We’ll kind of watch him the next couple of weeks. Daren is a tough guy and whatever his return-to-play day is, I’m sure he’ll beat that."

While that means Bates will likely miss the rest of the preseason, it could put him in position to be ready for the start of the regular season against Seattle on Sept. 13.

Meanwhile, there's still nothing definitive on Saffold, who suffered a right shoulder injury four plays into the game. That's a different shoulder than the one Saffold had surgically repaired in the offseason.

"Still doing tests on Rodger," Fisher said. "He’s been in treatment all day. He’s feeling better. So we’re still doing tests."

During the game, Fisher indicated on the television broadcast that he didn't expect Saffold's injury to be serious, but it remains to be seen if that's the case or what, exactly, that means.

The Rams begin practice with the Dallas Cowboys Monday in Oxnard, California.

Debacled

Starter
Its not a Rams game if Saffold doesn't go out for at least a few plays from something that appears to be serious and more often than not ends up being just another bump or bruise down the road.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Saffold's Shoulders = Bradford's Knees
Yup, and like Bradford, the odds of him staying on the field consistently are prohibitive. He made it through last season with only minor dings, I suspect this season will be even more physical.

Shuie3225

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well one of the rookies need to be ready if we lose him.. If we have to start three rooks to get our best 2 guards on the field then im all for it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Lets look at what happened two years ago Aug 8, 2013, during the pre season opener......

Rams RT Rodger Saffold suffered a left shoulder injury in preseason opener and did not return. Saffold, trying to make the switch from left tackle to right tackle, was hurt on the second offensive play. He was expected to see more reps than the other offensive line starters to get him better acclimated to the right side.

Later, Rams RT Rodger Saffold underwent X-rays on his injured left shoulder, and they came back negative. Coach Jeff Fisher was confident he'd be okay. It doesn't sound like there's a major injury, and Saffold should be fine.

Coach Jeff Fisher revealed RT Rodger Saffold dislocated his left shoulder in Thursday night's preseason opener, and is expected to be sidelined "a couple of preseason games."

It's a more serious injury than Saffold and Fisher hoped, but not one that should threaten Saffold's Week 1 availability. In a contract year, Saffold's 2014 market value is still likely to be affected because he's showed little durability as a pro.
http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/5856/rodger-saffold

Does the story remain the same? Saffold missed the rest pre season & did start the first regular season game but was injured very early & did not return. The following week Saffold was just terrible @ ORT trying to knock the large chunks of rust off but was injured once again with a grade 3 MCL strain that cost him many starts. He was not able to start & complete his first regular game until late November of 2013.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@BonifayRam ....yeah, In preseason, I think injuries don't have to be reported...hence ALL injuries are downplayed, maybe to not divulge an interest in FA's....who knows...that hit to Saffold came from a LB trying to stuff the running play...Saff had helped with the center the squared up on Lofton as he flew to the play...If this is serious, he'll always be getting hurt...
Kinda disappointed that Wichmann doesn't get a chance to compete...Really saddened that Washington would be the first OG in the game...Where's all this depth on the OL...all these rotational players....he basically destroyed the offense by himself...

WestCoastRam

Legend
Not for nothing, I am a psychotherapist who works with a lot of chronic pain patients and a significant hallmark of the patients I work with is the fact that they have an issue, get that issue surgically repaired and then have the issue appear on the alternate side of the body. It's fascinating. Without further study, hard to know what's correlation or causation.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Not for nothing, I am a psychotherapist who works with a lot of chronic pain patients and a significant hallmark of the patients I work with is the fact that they have an issue, get that issue surgically repaired and then have the issue appear on the alternate side of the body. It's fascinating. Without further study, hard to know what's correlation or causation.
It is fascinating! Something similar happened to me when I was younger. I tore my ACL and MCL in my left knee. Once I finally recovered, I ended tearing my MCL in my right knee very early on in practice. I always thought it was because I would subconsciously favor the uninjured leg. Not entirely chronic pain though.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
@BonifayRam
Kinda disappointed that Wichmann doesn't get a chance to compete...Really saddened that Washington would be the first OG in the game...Where's all this depth on the OL...all these rotational players....he basically destroyed the offense by himself...

Yes this lingering long term Cody Wichmann calf injury is concerning. Trying to take a positive look at it this way.....lets say that or suppose that Tim Barnes nails the starting center job (which is possible) that puts the other 3 prospects looking to show off some of their versatility. Wang has hung to the left side @ times OG, Rhaney has some of that Barrett Jones skills where he has played OT & OG too. So those three will turn all what they have to make it in other posts as a reserve.

All 3 of these mentioned young OL'ers have been here & practicing since the spring OTA's & all of TC now into pre season.....whereas Cody Wichmann missed most all the OTA's all of TC & now going into the 2nd game of pre season still on the sidelines. LACHAMP46 this is bad.

Now go to what Boudreau has @ OG. Reynolds will start if Saffold is out, that's a given, Washington laid a big egg this 1st of 4 games, & has not looked overly good in TC to put him in @ a solid #4 OG. Bond is just a ORG not a OLG. Thats all there is as OG's.

Of the reserve OT's prospects Donnal, Battle, Baker & Williams....only Donnal has any starts in college @ OG. The only one of those four we could see getting some OLG action would be Donnal. Keep an eye open for it.

I would guesstimate that Rhaney-Jones & Donnal could be the real contenders hunting for that solid #4 OG on this roster.

Back to your guy Cody Wichmann would appear to have a sizable uphill long run here to catch up. Maybe it would be best to keep him on ready position for one of those PUP, or be placed on short-term IR like Chris Long did or end up on the the standard IR like Rhaney did last yr. Whats your thoughts now? I would sure hate to loose Cody on a plain release.

Last edited: