Saffold & Daniels -- not looking so good.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Th2oDdE.png

1nxKZqb.png

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
That's a shame for both of them.
Somehow not surprised with Saffold. He seems to play with a grenade in his pocket. Barksdale's play was a dropoff from Saffolds.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
X said:

Not so sure what to think about the ongoing Saffold injury saga...that drums on & on...with our talented starting ORT Rodger Saffold carted off the field in the second quarter of this past Sunday's game with a knee injury. It was the same knee that he injured in the first half of last weeks game where he missed three series until his return. Saffold limped around all week & limped badly for the rest of the game too. Saffold suffered a dislocated left shoulder in the Rams 2013 preseason opener & missed all but a fraction of pre season with that injury. That's three events thus far in this very young season. Should we be concerned over that knee?

In 2012 he missed all the mini camps & was cleared to play in July after rehabbing from a (torn pectoral) that IR'd him for most of 9 games in 2011. The 2012 season resembles much like 2013 when in the first game first series he was carted off the field in with a neck injury. Then in week 2 he injured his knee that was diagnosed as a grade-three MCL sprain. He did not return until week 11. Saffold was not done with injuries in 2012 cuz he went to the locker room early in the third quarter in the Bills game & did not return with back pain.

Bottom line here the knee he injured last week & this week was the SAME knee he injured last season that keep him out until week 11. So anyone who endures to read my OL posts know my concerns over having Joe Barksdale starting full-time @ ORT post. Barksdale is a good run blocking OT but he needs to improve greatly in dealing with speed rushers on that right side. I was unable to record the Falcon game to zero in on Barksdale's play but I was able to detect many hits on Bradford coming from Barksdale's area of control.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Saffold is a goner in the off season. Some make the argument that he is just unlucky. That's a worthless argument. Saffold has proven that he cannot stay on the field and you can't have that if you want to develop continuity in your OL.

They will be adding OTs in the offseason, but right now the OL is playing better than any other element of their offense, so it's not the top priority.

I am hoping that they can get a stud FS. They need someone who knows how to get turnovers.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
max said:
Saffold is a goner in the off season. Some make the argument that he is just unlucky. That's a worthless argument. Saffold has proven that he cannot stay on the field and you can't have that if you want to develop continuity in your OL.

They will be adding OTs in the offseason, but right now the OL is playing better than any other element of their offense, so it's not the top priority.

I am hoping that they can get a stud FS. They need someone who knows how to get turnovers.
Agree. I like Saffold, but unlucky is no longer an apt description.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Time to move on from Saffold.

When we drafted him he was a pleasant surprise...but has been unreliable since.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I've felt forever that regardless of what they think of Saffold, they need to draft for depth at the offensive line.

I've felt the same about Finnegan since the signed him, in that they need to draft and start developing his replacement as soon as they can.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Softfold

Wish that wasn't true, but I don't require any more proof. Very unfortunate.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Another "freak" injury for Saffold? Some people would think so, I just think the guy is made of glass.

Sure wish it wasn't true...

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Rams claimed G/T Mike Person off waivers from the Seahawks.
A former seventh-round pick, Person's lone career appearance came in Week 1. The primary reason for his claim could be the intelligence he can provide on one of the Rams' division rivals.

Man it sucks losing S and ST stud Matt Daniels. Doesn't look positive for Saffold either... Barksdale make a name for yo'self.

fearsomefour

Legend
BonifayRam said:
X said:

Not so sure what to think about the ongoing Saffold injury saga...that drums on & on...with our talented starting ORT Rodger Saffold carted off the field in the second quarter of this past Sunday's game with a knee injury. It was the same knee that he injured in the first half of last weeks game where he missed three series until his return. Saffold limped around all week & limped badly for the rest of the game too. Saffold suffered a dislocated left shoulder in the Rams 2013 preseason opener & missed all but a fraction of pre season with that injury. That's three events thus far in this very young season. Should we be concerned over that knee?

In 2012 he missed all the mini camps & was cleared to play in July after rehabbing from a (torn pectoral) that IR'd him for most of 9 games in 2011. The 2012 season resembles much like 2013 when in the first game first series he was carted off the field in with a neck injury. Then in week 2 he injured his knee that was diagnosed as a grade-three MCL sprain. He did not return until week 11. Saffold was not done with injuries in 2012 cuz he went to the locker room early in the third quarter in the Bills game & did not return with back pain.

Bottom line here the knee he injured last week & this week was the SAME knee he injured last season that keep him out until week 11. So anyone who endures to read my OL posts know my concerns over having Joe Barksdale starting full-time @ ORT post. Barksdale is a good run blocking OT but he needs to improve greatly in dealing with speed rushers on that right side. I was unable to record the Falcon game to zero in on Barksdale's play but I was able to detect many hits on Bradford coming from Barksdale's area of control.

I love O and D line posts more than any other. I have been a Barksdale backer since last year. That said, he had trouble dealing with speed rushers on Sunday....not a surprise that has been the problem with his game. His margin for error is very small, he is usually quick enough to push the guy wide of the pocket, but, if he gets half a beat behind he is not quick enough to correct it. I would suspect we will see him getting help from the TE/RB quite a bit. He may not be the long term answer at RT (or he may) but it is becoming very clear Saffold is not either. I like Saffolds game but he is made of crystal.
One of the two first round picks HAS to go to Oline this offseason....hopefully Washington keeps losing.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Well I'll give you one guess as to who I want with one of our first round picks :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just keep on losin' Skins!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Well we just picked up an OT off of Seattle's PS so I think that's pretty telling.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Saffold's a great young player, but I think he's starting to prove that he's injury prone. Should probably start putting thought into who's gonna replace him, I don't see him on the Rams long term. Especially not after that fiasco this offseason.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Saffold and Danny Amendola are brothas from anotha motha.

In the future "those guys" will be advised "there was a break in your father's chromosome ladder that caused you to be afflicted with what we call chronic fragilitis, although you have some athletic ability we recommend you not engage in contact sports".

The NFL combine will have a test for the "chronic fragilitis gene " and we will then be debating it instead of Wonderlic scores. :bummed:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Thordaddy said:
Saffold and Danny Amendola are brothas from anotha motha.

In the future "those guys" will be advised "there was a break in your father's chromosome ladder that caused you to be afflicted with what we call chronic fragilitis, although you have some athletic ability we recommend you not engage in contact sports".

The NFL combine will have a test for the "chronic fragilitis gene " and we will then be debating it instead of Wonderlic scores. :bummed:
The thing is, Danny is tough as nails. The guy just could not stay healthy at all. Saffold, I'm not so sure is as tough as Danny is

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Find it surprising that Snead & Fisher were fast to add another OL'er before they find out fully about that damaged knee on Saffold? Must not be looking too good. Persons played the left side he would be needed to go right here. Rotoworld has this sidebar remark "The primary reason for his claim could be the intelligence he can provide on one of the Rams' division rivals".So they claim that Person is a snitch to provide info on the DirtyBirds in Seattle.

If Saffold does what he has done for the last three yrs & will miss major chunks of another season then the Rams need an OT awful bad. Chris Williams & Harvey Dahl have long resume's @ playing OT in the NFL but theres a reason they both are starting OG's. Both these OG's are currently holding up rather well why screw that up??

Plus Chris Williams stinks @ playing OT in the NFL. His play @ OT has caused him to be fired! Then there is OT/OG Brandon Washington who spent most of the training camp & pre season playing the right side. During pre season when Joe Barksdale was the starter @ ORT ...Washington was Barksdale first back up...bad news his play @ ORT was just a hair better than Chris Williams. Washington's best play in pre season was his play @ OLG & it was good thus I believe that's the reason he is still here today.

Bottom line Rams NOW have 11 OL'ers presently on the master roster & one OT on the practice squad.

BatteringRambo said:
Rams claimed G/T Mike Person off waivers from the Seahawks.A former seventh-round pick, Person's lone career appearance came in Week 1. The primary reason for his claim could be the intelligence he can provide on one of the Rams' division rivals.
Here some nuggets on the Rams new offensive lineman listed as a OT an OG & OC since 2011... Here's Mike Persons...

Height: 6-4 1/2
Weight: 299
Speed: 5.16
Arm: 32 3/4
Hand: 9 5/8
Birthdate: 06/17/1988

2011 combine workout: Michael Person
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81ec7824/2011-combine-workout-Michael-Person" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0 ... ael-Person</a>

Person is prospect from the FCS ranks with the intangibles, work-ethic and football smarts to become a backup offensive lineman. However, lacks the foot quickness and body control necessary to start or protect the blind side. While he did not allow a sack during his senior year and shows the ability to thwart the bull rush, should have problems dealing with speed rushers. Doesn't play with great pad level or blow defenders off the ball but does a good job getting into position as a run blocker. Consistently recognized for his leadership and effort in college. Person could hear his named called late on Day 3.

Person has the mentality you look. Capable of anchoring and holding up against the bull rush. Gets off the ball, establishes good initial position, and locks on when run blocking. Takes direct routes to targets at the second level. Has good football IQ and a lot of starting experience. Lacks bulk for the NFL. Does not possess the athleticism to stick with edge rushers. Hat and hand placement need to improve. Leans and lunges on occasion. Doesn't get much movement off the ball when run blocking. Must adjust to a steep incline in competition level from the FCS level.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/michael-person?id=2495325" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/ ... id=2495325</a>

Persons was drafted by the 9ers in the 7th round an offensive tackle out of Montana State 239th overall in the 2011 NFL Draft. At 6’4 299 pounds Person is an average sized offensive lineman who definitely needs to put on some pounds, but is a durable guy. Person shows the ability to take a lickin’ and keep on tickin’ when it comes to facing up with defenders, and shows a certain amount of tenacity when it comes to keeping defenders away from the quarterback. He needs to do some work with his technique, especially his hand placements, but that can always be tweaked once in the NFL.Person’s work ethic, determination, and inherent mean streak can make him a late round gem, but it really is up to him as to how much work he puts into his craft.

<a class="postlink" href="http://bayarea.sbnation.com/san-francisco-49ers/2011/4/30/2146191/nfl-draft-2011-49ers-select-mike-person-ot-montana-state-239th-overall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bayarea.sbnation.com/san-francis ... th-overall</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=88914&draftyear=2011&genpos=OG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=OG</a>

fearsomefour

Legend
""Person is prospect from the FCS ranks with the intangibles, work-ethic and football smarts to become a backup offensive lineman. However, lacks the foot quickness and body control necessary to start or protect the blind side.""

And there is the rub. It is easy enough to find big guys who look the part. At T (in my opinion) it is all about first step quickness and hip bend. If a guy is stiff or a step slow he is dead vs. a speed rusher. Barksdale has gotten better since he was in St. Louis and seems to play with enough bend (thus a pretty solid run blocker) but those quick guys give him trouble.
With more and more of the "freakish" athletes (speed, size, strength) going to the D side of the ball Ts will be in even more demand. Even with his injury record I think someone will sign Saffold for 8-10 M a year to play LT....he will need to be replaced even if he came back and played the rest of this season.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
The bright spot for me on this cat is Tom Cable thought enough of him to have him on the practice squad.

Lets see what we do with him