safety question

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
last year the safety class was deep and cody davis went undrafted. this year the safety class is weak. where would cody be if he was in this draft

PhxRam

last year the safety class was deep and cody davis went undrafted. this year the safety class is weak. where would cody be if he was in this draft

Probably undrafted again.

I doubt that depth in any particular position has any bearing on a guy getting drafted or not.

SierraRam

Recreational User

With his measurables: 6'2" 205, 4.41 - I think he might get a look. There are alot of teams needing safeties, and the group drops significantly after Pryor, Brooks, Dix, Bailey, Ward, Bucannon and maybe Reynolds from Stanford. What the hell, I say 5th rd

V3

Hall of Fame
I've been seeing an awful lot of Cody Davis love lately. I'm not sure I understand where it's coming from considering where he was taken(not drafted) and the limited play and production.

Alan

Legend
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/cody-davis?id=2541135
OVERVIEW
At Texas Tech's pro day, Davis ran the 40-yard dash in 4.42 and 4.41 seconds. He had a 41 1/2-inch vertical and 10-foot-3 broad jump. His short shuttle time was 4.00 seconds and he had a 6.78-second three-cone drill. He had 15 lifts of 225 pounds on the bench press.

After witnessing Davis' workout at the Super Regional Combine at Cowboys Stadium, NFL.com and NFL Network analyst Bucky Brooks wrote: It's hard to find big, physical safeties with speed and movement skills. Davis was not only one of the most impressive athletes in attendance, but he was routinely cited as the highest-rated prospect in the building by several scouts. He certainly didn't disappoint evaluators by putting together a solid overall performance. Davis clocked 40 times in the mid-4.4-second range and continued to pop with impressive measurements in the vertical (41.5 inches) and broad jumps (10-foot-3). Most impressively, Davis showed exceptional change-of-direction quickness in the pro-agility shuttle and three-cone drills as well as during his positional workout. Davis smoothly executed turns and transitions while displaying better-than-anticipated balance and body control for a guy his size (6-2, 203 pounds). He also showed outstanding ball skills, awareness and hands in drills. With defensive coordinators searching for guys capable of matching up with the big-bodied receivers and tight ends dominating the NFL, Davis will certainly garner strong consideration as a potential mid-round selection.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1689527/cody-davis
STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES
Davis does break down well against athletic ball-carriers in the open field, and has long, strong arms to make the effective wrap-up tackle, while also keeping his hands active to pry away the football (four forced fumbles over his career).

Davis will have to prove to scouts that he has the athleticism to handle coverage responsibilities in the NFL to earn a draft selection but his size, durability and open field tackling skills could make him an effective special teams performer.

--Rob Rang

PLAYER OVERVIEW
As bad as the Texas Tech defense was a season ago, the unit could have been much worse if not for the reliable, physical tackling of all-conference safety Cody Davis, who paced the Big 12 with an average of 6.55 solo tackles a game.

Davis, entering his fourth season as a starter for the Red Raiders, is a classic in-the-box strong safety type who is at his best reading the eyes of the quarterback and attacking the line of scrimmage. He has 261 career tackles entering the 2012 campaign, but isn't much of a threat as an interceptor, recording only one (against Houston, 2010) over his career.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=82398&draftyear=2013&genpos=FS
Cody Davis, DS #9 FS, Texas Tech
82398.jpg

Name: Cody Davis

College: Texas Tech Number: 16
Height: 6-2 Weight: 203
Position: FS Pos2: SS/OLB/ST
Class/Draft Year: rSr/2013
40 Low: 4.37 40 Time: 4.45 40 High: 4.55
Projected Round: 5-6 Stock:
up.gif
High: 5th Low: PFARated number 9 out of 90 FS's 173 / 2429 TOTAL
21.jpg

Combine Results
Pro Day Results
Combine Invite:
Height: 6017
Weight: 203
40 Yrd Dash:
20 Yrd Dash:
10 Yrd Dash: 225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump:
Broad Jump:
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill:
Dates: 03/06/13 04/07/13-*SRC-Dallas
Height: 6017
Weight: 203
40 Yrd Dash: 4.41
20 Yrd Dash: 2.54
10 Yrd Dash: 1.51225 Lb. Bench Reps: 15
Vertical Jump: 41 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'03"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.01
3-Cone Drill: 6.77
40 Time Range: 4.41-4.48/Bests
Data Scout Notes: 2012: 2ndC/HMC-DPOY/HMM...2011: NA...2010: HMC...09:HMC
Cody Davis/Texas Tech football Videos

*Automated search based on player first/last name, college team name, football, 3 loading panels, click video to view in full size on this page, watch or fast forward one full video, or open player with red arrow to choose more cuts at the bottom of the big video screen. Click "I'm done watching this" blue link at the top of video to close screen. If available/HQ changes video quality.
Draft Scout Cody Davis News
09/27/13 - S Cody Davis was signed from the practice squad to replace S T.J. McDonald, who will miss at least eight weeks with a fracture in his lower leg.
09/01/13 - S Cody Davis was waived by the Rams Saturday.
03/08/13 - 2013 Texas Tech Pro Day: Cody Davis, safety (6-1 7/8, 203) - Davis ran the 40 in 4.42 and 4.41 seconds. He had a 41 1/2-inch vertical and 10-foot-3 broad jump. His short shuttle time was 4.00 seconds and he had a 6.78-second three-cone drill. He had 15 lifts on the bench press. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com
03/07/13 - 2013 Texas Tech Pro Day: While Davis' numbers were impressive, the source said that he was not quite as explosive during the positional drills and pointed out that Davis and the rest of the athletes on hand were running on turf, a surface that can generate faster times than a track, such as the ones players ran on inside Lucas Oil Stadium a few weeks ago at the combine. Some teams, in fact, add as much as a tenth of a second to 40-yard dash results taken off of turf.
Davis earned second-team All-Big 12 honors as a senior and leaves Tech eighth on the career list with 362 tackles, including a gaudy 84 solos in 2012 (fourth best in the NCAA). He is viewed as an instinctive defender but more of a drag-down tackler than an explosive hitter, which is why the numbers could boost his stock, especially considering that he wasn't invited to the combine. There were an estimated 15-17 teams represented at the workout, including one defensive backs coach. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

03/07/13 - 2013 Texas Tech Pro Day: NFL scouts will tell you that if a player is talented enough they'll eventually found him. Two under the radar prospects put forth the types of efforts Wednesday that could result in earning a late round selection. At Texas Tech, strong safety Cody Davis stole the spotlight, delivering the kind of numbers to rival any safety invited this year to the combine.
Davis was unofficially clocked at 4.41-4.44 seconds in the 40-yard dash, according to a league source. He also registered a 4.04 seconds in the short shuttle, 11.09 seconds in the long shuttle and 6.79 seconds in the three-cone drill. Perhaps most impressively, Davis posted a 41.5-inch vertical jump, demonstrating a degree of explosiveness that he hadn't shown a few weeks prior when tested at a regional combine held at the Houston Texans' practice facility. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I've been seeing an awful lot of Cody Davis love lately. I'm not sure I understand where it's coming from considering where he was taken(not drafted) and the limited play and production.
It's not that surprising to me. He's an underdog, and everyone loves the underdog. He's a genuinely good dude, hard worker, keeps earning his stripes and doing his job, and there's the potential for him to crack the starting lineup at some point. Good college player too - you should watch some of his videos.

And of course, there's this.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I said it in here a few days ago I sure like our 2014 trio (Daniels-Davis & McLeod) that will compete for that safety post that was mostly occupied during the 2013 season with Darian Stewart & Matt Giordano with a few games with Rodney McLeod.

It sure sounds like 2nd yr 6-2 210 pound FS Cody Davis is made for GW defense from all that I know. Matt Daniels has been through 2 Ram training camps & pre seasons and won a 53 player roster spot both years. This will be Davis's second TC & pre season. Daniels is not an Unknown college player. His his pre draft profile had this to say...

Daniels has been a tremendously productive safety for Duke as a starter over the past three years, finishing 2011 with 126 tackles, 14 passes defensed, and two interception after posting 93/7/1 in 2010 and 83/5/0 in 2009, never missing a game and twice being named to the Academic All-ACC team. Duke credits Daniels with a 4.43-second 40-yard dash. He projects best as a traditional strong safety with plenty of assignments in the box as well as deep zone, but not a lot of man. Daniels also offers potential as a defensive leader and signal caller, as well as a gunner. His combination of production, durability, intelligence and character is sure to interest NFL teams. Superior anticipation and football IQ, can sniff out where the ball is and rocket towards it. Strong, sure tackler. Puts shoulder to chest and tackles through the ballcarrier. Heads up in coverage, good zone instincts and ball skills. Has speed, takes good angles and closes fast with burst. Hard worker, smart, durable, top intangibles..

Matt Daniels 40 times between 4.43 & 4.48 were better than most of the top safeties in this 2014 draft only FSU Brooks had better times. Daniels vertical jump was better the the top 4 safeties. The big reason the Rams was able to sign the undrafted Daniels was Matt suffered a MCL late and was still in rehab before the 2012 draft. In 2012 Daniels tore his other MCL in pre season and then broke his ankle as the Rams ST gunner in game 2 of 2013.

Cody Davis in his 2013 regional combine in Houston ran the 40 in 4.42 and 4.41 seconds where Clinton Dix & Pryor only ran 4.58's. Davis would have the best vertical jump by a far margin with a 41.5 jump. Davis also bested this years top combine safety Clinton Dix in the short shuttle & long shuttle. CD has a 4.04 in the SS & a 11.09 in the LS whereas Clinton Dix has a 4.15 in the SS & 11.63 in the LS. Davis should not be so easily discarded in this forum. So at least we know GW has some outstanding speed & athletic abilities to work with now with those two & the other Rodney McLeod runs around 4.53 in the 40.

I would hope that either Davis or Daniels wins the starting deep safety post leaving Rodney McLeod as a reserve safety & the reserve Nickle back. I believe the three UDFA examples above indicates the hard excellent work being performed by GM Snead team in finding good talents from many different areas!(y)

Alan

Legend
Depth at SS is nice but we need a FS so...

There's a reason why he went undrafted despite his excellent measureables.

Nice special team player.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Meh I don't know but I don't care much for the talk he wasn't drafted or he hasn't done nothing yet.... A lot of times it just takes a guy getting a shot and no bad breaks with health. The draft is a crap shoot anyways, just a gamble how a player is going to turn out. Bet if Mel Kiper or Mayock said one thing about Cody before the draft he'd be a 6th to 7th rounder at the minimum.

Alan

Legend
The Rammer thinking of the importance of luck:
Meh I don't know but I don't care much for the talk he wasn't drafted or he hasn't done nothing yet.... A lot of times it just takes a guy getting a shot and no bad breaks with health. The draft is a crap shoot anyways, just a gamble how a player is going to turn out. Bet if Mel Kiper or Mayock said one thing about Cody before the draft he'd be a 6th to 7th rounder at the minimum.
The tape of his games was looked at by everyone. W'ere not talking about a guy who flew under the radar because he was from a small school. But your larger point about luck is obviously valid IMO.

V3

Hall of Fame

It's fine to try and develop him and see what he can be but there's a reason he wasn't drafted and if the Rams were relying on him to be the starter next season, that's taking a HUGE risk. There's a difference in the risk between a highly rated/drafted player and a guy who didn't get drafted at all. The likelihood of a guy taken in the first round being productive in his rookie year is much higher than a guy in his second year that originally went undrafted and didn't show much his rookie year. I'm not calling him a bum, saying that he doesn't have ability, or that he can't do it. It's simply a risk assessment. The odds are against him as it is and I don't want to go into the season relying on a guy at an important position that has a low percentage chance of being a productive player. That's just me, though.

V3

Hall of Fame
It's not that surprising to me. He's an underdog, and everyone loves the underdog. He's a genuinely good dude, hard worker, keeps earning his stripes and doing his job, and there's the potential for him to crack the starting lineup at some point. Good college player too - you should watch some of his videos.

And of course, there's this.

That's fine to try and develop him but do you want to rely on him as the starter next season? He hasn't shown enough to warrant that kind of trust.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It's fine to try and develop him and see what he can be but there's a reason he wasn't drafted and if the Rams were relying on him to be the starter next season, that's taking a HUGE risk. There's a difference in the risk between a highly rated/drafted player and a guy who didn't get drafted at all. The likelihood of a guy taken in the first round being productive in his rookie year is much higher than a guy in his second year that originally went undrafted and didn't show much his rookie year. I'm not calling him a bum, saying that he doesn't have ability, or that he can't do it. It's simply a risk assessment. The odds are against him as it is and I don't want to go into the season relying on a guy at an important position that has a low percentage chance of being a productive player. That's just me, though.

Curt Warner, John Randle, Arian Foster, Warren Moon, Tony Romo, Antonio Gates, Jeff Saturday & Wes Welker to name a few.....

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I agree and as I stated the draft is a crap shoot and no one player is 100%. Obviously with the 1st round talents you have a better chance of getting a more consistent player. For safety this year I'd rather go with a Jimmy Ward or the kid from Washington State and our developing talent than go with a S in the 1st round. I like Pryor but he is to risky for me at #13 and most of the 1st round for that matter. Somebody like Jake Matthews will be a better commodity to have than a undrafted FA Tackle this year. I'm excited to see which ways we go here. I have a funny feeling we have our sites set on a later round safety and/or going to have our current 3 battle it out.

V3

Hall of Fame
Curt Warner, John Randle, Arian Foster, Warren Moon, Tony Romo, Antonio Gates, Jeff Saturday & Wes Welker to name a few.....

Most, if not all, didn't start right away. Also, they showed something before they were trusted with the job or were forced into the position due to injury.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Most, if not all, didn't start right away. Also, they showed something before they were trusted with the job or were forced into the position due to injury.
You are correct on most of that V3....Do not think that I do not have some concerns that I am advocating three WWC's are the main contenders for that deep safety post in GW defense either. I do desire some injection of draft choices @ the safety position in this draft just not on the first day. What I really have issues with is the amount of WWC's & UDFA's in our current OL that will help protect the teams biggest investment Sam Bradford this up coming season.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's fine to try and develop him but do you want to rely on him as the starter next season? He hasn't shown enough to warrant that kind of trust.
I never said we had to rely on him. Only explained why people are pulling for him is all.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam with a list of outliers:
Would you like to compare that to the list of hundreds of thousands in their position who didn't make it to see which ones is larger? ;)

V3

Hall of Fame
I never said we had to rely on him. Only explained why people are pulling for him is all.

It seemed like more than just pulling for him. Like they thought he'd be fine as the starter.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Willie Parker, Ryan Grant, London Fletcher, Fred Jackson, Danny Woodhead, LaGarette Blount, Vonta Leach, Victor Cruz, Miles Austin, Danny Amendola, Antonio Gates, Jason Peters, Tyson Clabo, Harvey Dahl, James Harrison, Cameron Wake, Michael Bennett, Vontaze Burfict, Tramon Williams, Brandon Browner, Quintin Mikell...

Would you like to compare that to the list of hundreds of thousands in their position who didn't make it to see which ones is larger? ;)
That same list is pretty large for first rounders too.