Safety Patrick Chung looks to be finished in NE

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
ESPN Boston says the "odds are against" impending free agent SS Pat Chung re-signing with the Patriots.
Chung's injury woes crippled his career in New England. Since a breakout 2010 campaign that saw him post 96 tackles and three interceptions in 14 games, he's missed 12 games over the last two seasons. The Patriots appear ready to press on with Devin McCourty, Steve Gregory and Tavon Wilson as their top-three safeties
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5284/pat-chung

I for one am the supporter of attempting to throw some of our cash to one of the top 4 FA Safeties this offseason but to keep our options open Pat Chung looks to be all but finished with his time in New England. As the article states Chung has delt with some injury issues the past two seasons and has lost some steam because of it, so he'll likely hit the market and be a lot cheaper then guys like William Moore, Jairus Byrd, etc. Money talks and supposedly we will not have a lot to use. I am holding out hope that we can resign Danny, SJ, Hayes, etc, in addition to signing a guy like J. Byrd, but its tricky to say right now with the cap situation. Chung may be a low risk high reward type signing. I was an advocate to drafting this kid back when he was coming out, I liked his game in college and despite the injuries he has been solid in the pros. Chung is still young at 25 years old and IMO still has upside.

Im not necessarily advocating that we sign this kid, but just keeping some of the fans options open to a potential cheaper signing yet impact player, such as the likes with the Dunbar signing last season.

:yeh:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
His injuries aren't considered the career threatening type. He's probably just tired of the hoodie's shit.

So I watched this kid while he was in Oregon. One hell of a player. He came to U of O at age 16! He's extremely sharp and is a great community guy. I think he still holds the consecutive start record for the Ducks. It totally pissed me off when he went to the patsies. I'm not sure how much he would have slowed at his age. I think the only problem with his sticks have been hammy issues and I'm not sure how severe are his shoulder issues.

My guess though is if the patsies are willing to part with him, he would be a great value pick-up. After being in and out of the line-up, I don't think he will be offered anywhere near what his skill set would suggest.

Could be me just homering for Oregon but I would really like this pick-up.... especially considering he would have to make it through the screening of Snead and Fisher. I'm confident he doesn't get here if he can no longer play at a high level.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm all for signing anyone that plays safety not named Craig Dahl! :lmao:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Honestly - I think there are worse starting safeties in the league than Dahl. OK - So I might not be able to come up with one but.... :shock: There just HAS to be - right?

Vault 82

Rookie
You know who would fit on this team nicely? Laron Landry. I think he's a FA too.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Poor Craig. :boohoo:

I know he's the subject of much angst on Sundays with his being duped by receivers and taking bad angles on running backs, but he wasn't a TOTAL liability for us. There were many times where he made a TD saving tackle, broke up a TD saving pass, and he was very disciplined on special teams. We can certainly use an upgrade at his position, but I don't feel it fair to run him down either. He's doing the one thing all of us would give a nut to be able to do. He's strapping on the horns and taking the field as a RAM.

Lucky sumbitch. :lol:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:

I know he's the subject of much angst on Sundays with his being duped by receivers and taking bad angles on running backs, but he wasn't a TOTAL liability for us. There were many times where he made a TD saving tackle, broke up a TD saving pass, and he was very disciplined on special teams. We can certainly use an upgrade at his position, but I don't feel it fair to run him down either. He's doing the one thing all of us would give a nut to be able to do. He's strapping on the horns and taking the field as a RAM.

And... in his defense; I've seen him deliver some pretty solid hits too.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:

Yeah - guess we're taking some cheap shots here at someone I think probably none of us expects to be back. I DID like the way he hit people at times. Unfortunately it was rarely when he was in the right position and after a long gain had taken place. But yeah - I'd give my right nut to do what he's doing. Especially since they've been snipped anyway. :sly: