Safety over linebacker

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I guess this is part draft, part free agency talk.

I have never believed McCloud was a true starter, and this doesn't stem from his play today. I have always felt this way. To be honest, he has actually performed better than I thought he could for the most part, but still not good enough.

We need to bring in a FS, whether in FA or the draft to upgrade our last line of defense.

I know we just got Barron, but he is a TJ clone.

I'd rather us get a FS and use a 2 lb/3 safety set with the personal we have than upgrade lb early and ignore the FS position.

How many years have we talked about bringing in a good FS but they never do?

Still need to add a linebacker, not denying that. Sigh. We need more draft picks. I fear it won't happen though.

Gerod Holliman is my guy atm.

What say ye?

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
It seems as though Fisher places little value on a true FS, so I'm holding out hope for LB upgrades through the draft and/or FA.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
We have Joyner who plays like a true FS but we need one or two more of those types of players. Our defense gives up too many 3rd and long situations and lack of true cover safety type players seems to be the cause of that.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It's too early to tell. Just look at today's game. AZ certainly wasn't looking at the QB position... now they may have to.

We just don't know for certain what our needs will be until the season is over. Guys may step up late, others may get injured... no way to know.

We may think we know or project based on current needs, but we don't even know who's coming out for the draft, let alone what each of the 32 teams will need which also greatly affects the draft (if a lot of teams need OL, then there will be a run and OTs and even OGs can be overdrafted early, for example).

It's just too early to get into all of that since there's still 7 regular season games and the playoffs which will give teams information on what they need to improve (or what they need because they just don't have it).

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It seems as though Fisher places little value on a true FS, so I'm holding out hope for LB upgrades through the draft and/or FA.
Can't argue that, it has held true so far. Just do the like McCloud being the last line of defense for us.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
We have Joyner who plays like a true FS but we need one or two more of those types of players. Our defense gives up too many 3rd and long situations and lack of true cover safety type players seems to be the cause of that.
But they don't play Joyner at FS....

V3

Hall of Fame
I guess this is part draft, part free agency talk.

I have never believed McCloud was a true starter, and this doesn't stem from his play today. I have always felt this way. To be honest, he has actually performed better than I thought he could for the most part, but still not good enough.

We need to bring in a FS, whether in FA or the draft to upgrade our last line of defense.

I know we just got Barron, but he is a TJ clone.

I'd rather us get a FS and use a 2 lb/3 safety set with the personal we have than upgrade lb early and ignore the FS position.

How many years have we talked about bringing in a good FS but they never do?

Still need to add a linebacker, not denying that. Sigh. We need more draft picks. I fear it won't happen though.

Gerod Holliman is my guy atm.

What say ye?
I agree with you on McLeod. See him as a good backup, that's it. Problem is, it doesn't seem like Fisher cares about his safeties' ability to defend the pass. He'd rather they just defend the run and hit hard.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Our LBs can't even out run Carson Palmer, so LB.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I agree with you on McLeod. See him as a good backup, that's it. Problem is, it doesn't seem like Fisher cares about his safeties' ability to defend the pass. He'd rather they just defend the run and hit hard.
Agree man. A very good backup is what I see as well. He seems to care more about the SS than FS but having a good FS now is truly needed. This is a passing league.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Eh, we need LB depth bad. I'll go LB and OL over safety any day of the week. I say we draft BPA in this order:

QB
OL
LB
S

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
But they don't play Joyner at FS....

And that's the major head scratcher there. Fisher really needs to put McLeod at nickel and Joyner at FS for most reps. This defense would excel much more. Seeing that we have other positions to address, we might pick up TJ's brother Tevin McDonald in the later rounds since he's more of a cover-type safety.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
We just traded 1/3 of our draft for a former top-10 safety. I'd be po'd if we used another pick on a safety.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
We just traded 1/3 of our draft for a former top-10 safety. I'd be po'd if we used another pick on a safety.
But we traded for a guy who is best used at SS, which we already have.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
After the Barron trade we don't have that many picks and probably too many needs. Safety shouldn't be a priority at this point because it's not really a weak spot, we can upgrade McLeod but picks would be better used elsewhere in my opinion.

We'll probably have a lot of cap space if we cut J. Long and Bradford, but I don't trust free agents. Got to be smart with your $$$.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
And that's the major head scratcher there. Fisher really needs to put McLeod at nickel and Joyner at FS for most reps. This defense would excel much more. Seeing that we have other positions to address, we might pick up TJ's brother Tevin McDonald in the later rounds since he's more of a cover-type safety.
Agree on all of that.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
After the Barron trade we don't have that many picks and probably too many needs. Safety shouldn't be a priority at this point because it's not really a weak spot, we can upgrade McLeod but picks would be better used elsewhere in my opinion.
The problem is we still have many holes to fill. FS is a problem still, as is lb, guard, center, QB.