Safety Eric Weddle looking for a team ready to contend

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/19/eric-weddle-looking-for-team-ready-to-contend/

Eric Weddle looking for team ready to contend
Posted by Josh Alper on February 19, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptlkota0y2i5mtzhzwrlntrjmmy5yzdimdq2y2vhymu5-e1430926974328.jpeg
Getty Images

The writing on the wall started appearing well before the 2015 season kicked off and the signs that safety Eric Weddle, 31, would be leaving the Chargers as a free agent this offseason never went away as the year unfolded.

The final act of Weddle’s time in San Diego came in a late-season dispute with the team after he was placed on injured reserve, all but guaranteeing that Weddle’s next time on the field would come in a different uniform. If Weddle has his way, that uniform will be one of a team in position to contend.

“In the next three or four years, are they going to be competitive, are they going to be division winners, are we going to have a chance at the Super Bowl?” Weddle said, via the San Diego Union-Tribune.

Prioritizing winning over salary should probably help Weddle’s job hunt, although different teams will surely have different comfort levels with plugging Weddle into their secondary. Weddle said he feels comfortable in any scheme, which should also help as he looks for his first NFL home outside San Diego.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I do not think the Rams fits what he wants but in one area.....real close to where he was born & raised & lived. He is a true Westerner. if the Rams loose Rodney McLeod we have one big hole deep in our secondary. Fisher & Snead have let it be known that they have a firm belief that you do not spend big $$$ in the area of safety but in the DL & CB's.

Eric Weddle does have some things going for him. First there is no real HOT deep free safeties in this 2016 draft. Jalen Ramsey is a sure top 10 pick & considered a FS but a very good chance he will see most of his rookie season action playing on the outside corners. after Ramsey there nothing much to look at. The other thing going Eric's way is free agency. After UFA's Walter Thurmond & Eric Berry there is not much else till you get to the 33 yr old Reggie Nelson & then Rams Rod McLeod.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I have always loved Weddle, he has always been criminally underrated. He would be outstanding under Williams too.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Zero percent chance of the Rams picking him up. Weddle's career is winding down and he wants a ring. I can't believe that he thinks the Rams are right on the cusp of achieving that for him. He barely had enough faith in the Chargers.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah it's not a move that makes a lot of sense for him given he's looking for a contender. I do think the Rams will be that, but I agree Weddle probably won't see it that way. He's a great player though, man. I've watched a lot of Chargers games over the years in and out of San Diego and always had the highest respect for that dude and his play, he's much better than most realize.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah it's not a move that makes a lot of sense for him given he's looking for a contender. I do think the Rams will be that, but I agree Weddle probably won't see it that way. He's a great player though, man. I've watched a lot of Chargers games over the years in and out of San Diego and always had the highest respect for that dude and his play, he's much better than most realize.
Agree. I'd absolutely love it if the Rams were able to land him, but it just doesn't seem to line up with Weddle's short term goals.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I have always loved Weddle, he has always been criminally underrated. He would be outstanding under Williams too.
I always thought the exact opposite about him! I don't watch much Chargers football so I might be wrong but he always seems to be getting run over by running backs whenever I see a highlight...