Sack highlights Long’s return/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Sack highlights Long’s return
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_0dc3013c-a107-578c-b2ca-48cad6bed7a8.html

On a highlight-reel day for the Rams, the play that generated one of the loudest fan reactions came with 8½ minutes left in the third quarter.

That’s when defensive end Chris Long, playing in his first game since the season opener, dropped Oakland quarterback Derek Carr for a 7-yard sack. The crowd at the Edward Jones Dome went wild in appreciation.

“It was a relief,” Long said. “I just felt the love, you know, from these fans that have supported me so much. And supported us. We’ve got great fans here and I appreciate them greatly.”

Long also had a fumble recovery in the Rams’ 52-0 victory Sunday, completing a long recovery process from surgery that re-attached two torn tendons in his foot. The Rams activated Long from the injured reserve/designated for return list on Saturday.

“The outpouring of support through probably the longest, 10, 11 weeks of my life has got me through in a lot of ways,” Long said. “So it was great. I just want to help the team win. And it validates being back out there to be able to make a play.”

Fisher said Long was a little sore at halftime, playing more than most observers anticipated.

“I was expecting to play as much as they needed me,” Long said.

GAME BALLS FOR HAYES, SIMS

Defensive ends William Hayes and Eugene Sims received game balls from Fisher after the game. Both had deaths in the family.

“You talk about the character of this team,” Fisher said. “Eugene Sims lost a loved one this week, and Will Hayes lost one (Saturday) night. And you watch the tape and watch those two play. Really, really impressed. Our hearts go out to their families.”

Sims missed all of the practice week because of death in his family, returning in time to play Sunday. Hayes recorded his third sack of the season, but his playing time will be reduced now that Long is back in the lineup. His grief over losing a family member spilled out after the game, according to linebacker James Laurinaitis.

“To see Will Hayes in tears, how emotional he was after the game,” Laurinaitis said. “And then to see everybody instantly just come around him and try to give him a hug and stuff. This team’s a family and we care about each other.”

SAFFOLD’S REVENGE

Rams left guard Rodger Saffold got his revenge, and then some, against a Raiders team that planned to sign him to a $42.5 million free-agent contract last offseason only to cancel the deal after determining that Saffold failed a physical because of shoulder problems.

Saffold said Sunday’s result “was everything you’d want out of the type of situation that I was in. So I was real excited to go out here and get this ‘W.’ I had no idea it was gonna be like this. But defense played great, offense played great. I wish we would’ve got 76 points on the board, but that’s OK.”

Before changing into his game uniform, Saffold showed up for the game dressed all in black. Black suit, black shirt, black tie.

“I was coming to a funeral — that’s why I was dressed this way,” Saffold said.

A Raiders funeral? “Yeah,” Saffold said. “I think we pretty much achieved that.” Early in the third quarter, Saffold aggravated the chronic shoulder injury he has been playing with, but he said he will be back for this week’s game at Washington.

RAM-BLINGS

Pregame scratches for the Rams were: DB Lamarcus Joyner (groin), CB Marcus Roberson (ankle), DT Alex Carrington (thigh), TE Justice Cunningham, C/G Barrett Jones, OG Brandon Washington and DE Ethan Westbrooks.

• Fans in the north end zone held up large letters that spelled Keep The Rams In St. Louis at various times during the game.