S.Jackson & T.Gurley among best RB prospects scouted by Bucky Brooks since 2001

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...dd-gurley-among-best-rb-prospects-ive-scouted

7. Steven Jackson, Oregon State
Drafted: 24th overall, 2004, St. Louis Rams

It's hard to find a big running back with nimble feet, exceptional balance and explosive power, but scouts venturing through Oregon State in 2001-2003 stumbled upon a future Pro Bowl selectee in Jackson.

The 6-foot-1, 231-pound sledgehammer quickly became one of the favorites on the scouting trail after rushing for 1,500-plus yards in each of his final two seasons. With Jackson also totaling 46 career touchdowns (39 rushing; seven receiving) while displaying soft hands and polished receiving skills (66 catches for 680 receiving yards) as a big back, it was easy to envision him blossoming into an RB1 in a scheme that showcased the talents of a dynamic runner-receiver in the backfield.

As a pro, Jackson thrived as the feature back in a St. Louis Rams offense that fully utilized his skills as a runner between the tackles and as a pass-catcher on the perimeter. He led the NFL in scrimmage yards in his second season as a full-time starter (2,334 yards in 2006) and posted eight straight 1,000-yard seasons as the Rams' RB1. Not bad for a running back who started off his career as an RB2 to Marshall Faulk in St. Louis.

10. Todd Gurley, Georgia
Drafted: 10th overall, 2015, St. Louis Rams

Despite missing four games due to a suspension for violating NCAA rules and suffering a season-ending knee injury during his junior season, Gurley was a blue-chip running back prospect due to his remarkable combination of size, speed and power. The All-SEC RB rushed for more than 3,200 yards in 30 games while exhibiting outstanding balance, body control, and vision. In addition, he dazzled scouts with his explosive athleticism when he clocked the seventh-fastest time in school history in the 60-meter hurdles as a sophomore.

Given his unique movement skills and overall explosiveness, it's no surprise that Gurley hit the ground running as a rookie with 1,106 rushing yards and 10 touchdowns on the way to earning a Pro Bowl berth. Although he hasn't surpassed the 100-yard mark in 24 straight games, Gurley remains a talented runner with the kind of star power that coaches love to build around.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I Don't care what Brooks' opinion is, I don't trust his judgment!
And, I don't know why, But I never cared for Jackson. Maybe it's because he replaced Marshall Faulk, who I loved, or maybe it's because, it seemed like, almost every time we needed one-more-yard for a 1st down or TD, and they gave him the Ball. He would get stopped!!:seizure:

Now Gurrrley I have high hopes for!! I think he's going to have a GREAT Season under McVay!:shades::snicker::rockon::cheers:

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
As a pure prospect, I would rank Gurley higher than Jackson. He's much faster and more athletic than Jackson was coming out of college. If he hadn't had the suspension and subsequent ACL tear TG3 would've rushed for over 2,000 yards his Junior year. He was a monster in college.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Jackson was a bright spot on some terrible Rams teams his entire career. I really hope Gurley can be part of a team that contends for titles.

Ram65

Legend
I don't know how Bucky's rating system places values. You could flip flop them and it wouldn't be a big deal. Jackson seemed to get a little bigger while Gurley seemed to get a little smaller last year. Jackson did some great things on bad teams. Gurley with the speed advantage gets the edge.

Last edited: