Ryan Shazier

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Perhaps a tad high, but 13 isn't all that outrageous. It's all about the value the team places on the player.

If we trade back at 13 and drop to the 17-23 range, he's in play. Williams will turn him loose & the kid is a straight-up athletic freak. He's gonna hurt some guys on ST's. I've really like Shazier, but is OLB a huge need? More than S or CB? We'll see...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He is an athletic freak.

As much a the Rams need a CB and S, they also need big playmakers. They need guys that will have a big impact. On offense they probably go OT and that could have a big impact without the flashiness of Touchdowns. On D what would be a bigger impact player? Shutdown corner? Pro bowl Safety? Are those players there at 13? Maybe the Rams don't think so. Or maybe they have Shazier so high on their board that it doesn't matter.

As far as LBers go I prefer Mack, but unless the Rams take him at 2 they probably don't have a shot at him. My second choice is Mosely. He could eventually take over the MLB role. Shazier can't do that and I don't think Ogletree could either. Neither of them strike me as the sort to lead and direct the entire defense.

oldramfan

bigramfan1966
I like him at OLB. He has speed and coverage ability. Ogletree had trouble getting off blocks and he got better as the year progressed. My thinking is that in Williams system Shazier would be a good fit and limit the amount of nickel that we play. I'm in favor of it if we can get him in the latter half of the first round. Of course that means a trade down but I think that is likely anyway.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Baylor's Phillip Gaines & Florida's Jaylen Watkins are my favorites.

Rice, my friend. ;)
(I'm a big fan of Gaines as well)

On Shazier, do they expect Ogletree to play SLB? I'm not opposed to it but you have to keep Shazier clean. He's a run and chase guy with freakish athleticism but he's not strong at the POA and not adept at taking on blockers. Which is also true of Laurinaitis and Ogletree...which is what gives me pause.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Exactly. Fisher always talks about stopping the run. You would think at least one of his LBers would have that as a strength. I am not a big fan of Shaziers tackling either. I have seen him whiff quite a few times. He still racks them up because he gets there fast but he is not a great form tackler.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Potential confirmation for Boston's rumor:
http://optimumscouting.com/uncatego...-and-whos-going-where-this-draft-weekend.html
In the final “State of the Draft” of the year, I’ve collected all I’ve heard on how the draft may play out on Thursday. Thankfully, I’m not an effective person to send “smokescreens” to, so hopefully most, if not all, of these notes and rumors come to fruition.

I’ll be updating this now until the draft, and before Day 2 as well.

5/7 at 3:00 pm EST-The quarterbacks seem destined to fall. That’s been heavily reported. But I think it’s realistic to not expect a single passer in the top 15 of the draft. Despite what I’ve heard, along with most in the media, Jay Glazer of Fox Sports made it very clear the Browns won’t be taking Manziel. I’ve heard the Vikings won’t be taking Blake Bortles at #8 overall. And I’d be shocked if the Rams or Bucs take a passer in the top 10.

-Manziel to Dallas if he’s on the board. I don’t agree with it personally, and hopefully Dallas changes their mind if he does fall to them.

-Bridgewater potential suitors in first round: Jaguars, Bengals, Patriots, Texans. I think he’ll end up in round one.

-The battle for the first round between Bortles and Carr should be fun. The Cardinals and trade-up Texans lean Bortles. The Browns and trade-up Bucs prefer Carr. And the trade-up Vikings are a mystery. I’m leaning Carr in Cleveland, Bortles in Minnesota. The Browns, Jaguars also really like Jimmy Garoppolo.

-Here’s my top-seven picks, as of this posting (unlikely to change): Clowney-Robinson-Watkins-Evans-Donald-Mack-Matthews. Potential trade swap between the Jaguars and Falcons is possible, still netting Watkins and Mack, respectively.

-Aaron Donald isn’t leaving the top-8 picks. The Bucs and Vikings won’t pass on him.

-Some of my personal favorite/confident picks (assuming the players don’t go surprisingly earlier): Zach Martin to the Bills, Anthony Barr to the Titans, Ra’Shede Hageman to the Steelers, Morgan Moses to the Ravens, Brandin Cooks to the Jets and Ja’Wuan James to the Dolphins.

-Yes, Ja’Wuan James to the Dolphins. Played right tackle for Tennessee the last four years, never missed a start, high character and can plug-and-play at their biggest need. It’s a fit.

-Ryan Shazier is most likely going in the top 16 picks. Giants, Rams and Cowboys all in the mix. Green Bay would love if he sank to 21, but seems unlikely.

-Marcus Martin to the Saints. It’s been said plenty of times on social media (@JoshNorris and @JuMosq get the credit), but it seems like a near lock now.

-Deone Bucannon has a very good chance of being a first rounder. The Packers, Chiefs and Patriots are the most likely suitors.

-Jordan Matthews is going to be a first rounder as well. The Eagles, Packers, Panthers, 49ers and Seahawks are all interested. On the other hand, Marqise Lee will likely slip out of the first round. Injury concerns about. The Eagles, Panthers and Seahawks have interest, but odds are Lee will be hoping his old coach Pete Carroll saves him at 32.

-The Vikings top targets seem to be Khalil Mack, Mike Evans and Aaron Donald, in that order. However, it’s likely all three are gone. I’d expect them to move back. They could move to the teens for a team looking for a tackle (Giants, Rams, Dolphins) or even further down for a team coveting Odell Beckham Jr (Eagles, 49ers). Darqueze Dennard may be their pick.

-Louis Nix’s character concerns have been brought up, and teams wonder what kind of locker room guy he’ll be. He’s active on social media, but also needed a lot of attention from people at Notre Dame. Combine that with weight fluctuations, and he’s not going to be a Top 20 pick. Two teams that are most linked: the Chargers at 25 and the Texans at 33.

-There’s a real possibility that Eric Berry is traded on draft day, with the Falcons being most likely. The price tag is something around a second-round pick.

-I know of two teams who have Zack Martin above Taylor Lewan on their draft boards. Don’t be surprised if he goes higher on draft day.

-Darqueze Dennard and Jason Verrett have the most serious medical concerns of the cornerbacks. Justin Gilbert has been raved about as the top cornerback, but I know of one team that has Bradley Roby as their top cornerback, some that still have Darqueze Dennard at #1, and Kyle Fuller has his teams as well.

-CJ Mosley is off of more than a couple team’s boards, and others have knocked him down a round because of his medical concerns. Don’t be surprised if he’s not picked on Thursday.

-Possible trade to watch: Philadelphia trades to 9 (Buffalo) or 10 (Lions) for Anthony Barr. 49ers trade to 11 for Odell Beckham Jr.