Ryan Leaf released from prison

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
What a sad and messed up life this guy has lived so far. From a successful college career at Washington State University to the second overall pick in the 1998 NFL Draft, and then to prison. At least he's only 38 years old and hopefully has a lot of productive years in front of him if he can turn his life around.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11976545/ryan-leaf-released-prison-montana

Ryan Leaf released from prison
December 4, 2014

GREAT FALLS, Mont. -- Former quarterback Ryan Leaf has been released from a Montana prison.

Judy Beck, a spokeswoman for the Montana Department of Corrections, tells the Great Falls Tribune that Leaf was released Wednesday and now is being supervised by probation and parole officers in Great Falls.

The former San Diego Chargers and Washington State player has served more than two years in prison after breaking into a home near Great Falls in 2012 to steal prescription pills.

The Montana conviction violated his probation in Texas on 2008 charges of fraudulently obtaining a controlled substance. A Texas judge sentenced Leaf to five years but gave him credit for time served.

Texas authorities can still extradite Leaf if they choose.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
mkkzbvwnxm2hm6n19tor.jpg

Former NFL quarterback Ryan Leaf's sad tale, from on-the-field disappointment to off-the-field troubles, can perhaps start on a path to a better ending now.

Leaf was released from prison in Montana on Wednesday and placed under the supervision of Great Falls Probation and Parole, a Montana state official told the Great Falls Tribune. Leaf's page on the Montana Department of Corrections site confirmed that. He spent about two years in prison.

Leaf was sentenced to five years in prison stemming from a 2012 case in which he was arrested twice in one weekend for breaking into homes in Great Falls and stealing prescription drugs, the Great Falls Tribune said. He was sentenced to a treatment center, but was sent to prison less than eight months later after allegedly threatening a program staffer and violating conditions of his treatment plan, the paper said.

Leaf was given a five-year suspended sentence in Texas for drug offenses but the Great Falls Tribune reported, via the Associated Press, that Leaf is unlikely to face more prison time in Texas. When Leaf was quarterbacks coach at West Texas A&M, he was accused of burglarizing a player's home in 2008, and he was found to have illegally obtained almost 1,000 pain pills from area pharmacies, the report said.

The Great Falls Tribune said Leaf was granted parole in May pending "a completion of an intensive chemical dependency treatment program," which he completed in August.

Leaf had an NFL career that is still talked about today, because he's considered one of the greatest busts in draft history. Selected second after Peyton Manning in 1998, he played just three seasons with the San Diego Chargers and Dallas Cowboys. Known for his poor attitude and poor play, he had 14 touchdowns and 36 interceptions. His teams were 4-17 in games he started. He vanished off the NFL radar pretty quickly, especially for a No. 2 overall pick.

Leaf's post-NFL life has obviously been pretty rocky. He's out on parole now, and hopefully things will start to turn around for him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...eleased-from-prison-in-montana-222627112.html

jjab360

Legend
It's pretty crazy to think about how him and Peyton were pretty much equals coming out of college and where they each are at now. Pretty sure there's a life lesson in there somewhere..

Before someone starts a Ryan Leaf "would you take him as a back up" the answer is "yes if the alternative is Shaun Hill"...whoops I mean "no".

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
This is a guy who told the people of Montana to f-off after he headed to Washington State, and not because he decided not to play at either the University of Montana or Montana State. Most knew his talent level was much better suited to play at the FBS level. He later made statements he felt Washington was his "home state," and regularly put down the people of Montana. I watched him play during his high school days, and he was just as much an arrogant prick as he was throughout his college and brief NFL career. This guy had all the talent in the world and he pissed it away. I have absolutely no pity for him. As far as I'm concerned he is not a Montanan!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, MTRamsFan, I don't think anyone would argue that he wasn't a very good person at that time.

I think the consensus is that hopefully he turns it around. He's obviously burned his lottery ticket. Then he threw away his second chance that most people don't get. At this point, he's looking at a pretty difficult road ahead of him and he's still relatively young (I got 8 years on him).

If we believe life is precious.. at all... then once someone has hit bottom and been humbled as Ryan Leaf has... then at that point, I know just speaking for myself, I hope he can put his life together and find some peace and happiness.

Boat Ram

Recovering Lurker
MT Rams fan you are right, I played against him in high school and he was a prick then. Especially when we beat him, I can remember going through the hand shake after the games and him popping off win or lose. That being said we had a mutual buddy that actually lived with him in SD, and they were pretty close. He seemed like an alright guy every time I talked to him off the field, but I do remember the Montana disrespect. I imagine he'd do a lot of things differently in hindsight.