Rush OLB is now our top need

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This move could be just that Quinn wasn't good enough for Wade. It could be he wasn't good enough for his cap hit. It could also be that he was a sacrifice to get more draft capital to allow them to make trades on draft day free up cap space to sign a corner, (maybe Tru), and that they wanted to get younger and healthier at the position.

I agree with Jrry about liking Okoronkwo. He is one of my draft favorites and probably could be picked outside of round 1. I don't know a lot about Mata afa.

A lot of teams ran over to the right side of the defense. Barwin may stay because he is a team leader and comes cheap, but upgrading Barron and Barwin along with a Nose Tackle seem to be a must. There are a lot of needs for a team that won their division.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Personally, I really like Obo Okoronkwo if we wait until the 3rd round (if he's there). He can do it all as a 3-4 OLB (set the edge, rush the passer, and cover), and he has a sophisticated pass rush plan for such a young player. If we're going OLB with our first pick, I'd strongly consider trading back and taking Hercules Mata'afa if he tests well at the Combine. Mata'afa reminds me of Melvin Ingram. He explodes off the ball with a lightning quick first step and great anticipation of the snap, he's strong enough to set the edge, and his short stature allows him to play under blockers with natural leverage.

Personally, I think he's my leading candidate after the Quinn trade. Put him next to Ogletree while adding a veteran NT upfront, and we'll stop the run. He'll play the pass damn well too. I think he has Brian Urlacher-type tools. He's a more physically gifted player than Chad Greenway imo.

Rams definitely need to add a young star to the defense. Sure Donald is not a grey beard yet, but they need a new face, a new look, in the front 7 that can make an impact.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The LB from Boise would be an interesting option late round 1. Saw him compared to Chad Greenway. He's 6-4 250, very athletic... could be a great fit inside or maybe outside.
If Vander-Esch is there at #23 I would not be un-Happy to see the Rams Grab him!!(y);):D

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Personally, I really like Obo Okoronkwo if we wait until the 3rd round (if he's there). He can do it all as a 3-4 OLB (set the edge, rush the passer, and cover), and he has a sophisticated pass rush plan for such a young player. If we're going OLB with our first pick, I'd strongly consider trading back and taking Hercules Mata'afa if he tests well at the Combine. Mata'afa reminds me of Melvin Ingram. He explodes off the ball with a lightning quick first step and great anticipation of the snap, he's strong enough to set the edge, and his short stature allows him to play under blockers with natural leverage.

I think you and I have been and remain on the same page with a lot of these guys. I also like Okoronkwo, both he and Nwosu are guys I'd look for if we don't go OLB early on.

Mata'afa is underrated (very explosive), but I didn't put him up with the OLBs because I wasn't sure he can play in space at this level. Can he contain and drop into coverage? Hrm, I honestly don't know. BUT that said I love his tape. I suspect he might bulk up and settle in at 3T at this level because that's probably where he will fit best. Hard to say man, so it'll be interesting to see where he's taken.

I still feel like if they stay at 23 they have Vander Esch & Evans as very high value at ILB and probably there at that range. OLB it's all about the interview with Landry most likely, maybe Key has legit reasons for his BS too who knows, but I also feel like Carter has value late round one and should be considered. And of course CB, although with CB1 filled there's a good chance they go with another need there at 23 now.

Looking at the value of guys that fit their needs into early round 2 I would also say a trade down is very likely. I'm sure there's a guy or two they covet there at 23, who, if gone, leads them to move down and still fill a need while getting another pick. This draft is deep in our needs so that would be a really nice move for Les.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
maybe.....maybe they love Samson & Longacre? Maybe they love Cassanova & Thompson?? @ $12 million, Quinn needed more sacks to be safe....no one is safe on a 19th ranked defense....but Aaron Donald.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
@ $12 million, Quinn needed more sacks to be safe....no one is safe on a 19th ranked defense....but Aaron Donald.

Is he safe?

IMG_3358.GIF

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
maybe.....maybe they love Samson & Longacre? Maybe they love Cassanova & Thompson?? @ $12 million, Quinn needed more sacks to be safe....no one is safe on a 19th ranked defense....but Aaron Donald.
I think you can consider Brockers Safe too!(y);)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think you and I have been and remain on the same page with a lot of these guys. I also like Okoronkwo, both he and Nwosu are guys I'd look for if we don't go OLB early on.

Mata'afa is underrated (very explosive), but I didn't put him up with the OLBs because I wasn't sure he can play in space at this level. Can he contain and drop into coverage? Hrm, I honestly don't know. BUT that said I love his tape. I suspect he might bulk up and settle in at 3T at this level because that's probably where he will fit best. Hard to say man, so it'll be interesting to see where he's taken.

I still feel like if they stay at 23 they have Vander Esch & Evans as very high value at ILB and probably there at that range. OLB it's all about the interview with Landry most likely, maybe Key has legit reasons for his BS too who knows, but I also feel like Carter has value late round one and should be considered. And of course CB, although with CB1 filled there's a good chance they go with another need there at 23 now.

Looking at the value of guys that fit their needs into early round 2 I would also say a trade down is very likely. I'm sure there's a guy or two they covet there at 23, who, if gone, leads them to move down and still fill a need while getting another pick. This draft is deep in our needs so that would be a really nice move for Les.

I don't see Mata'afa playing three technique. If you put enough size on his frame, it'll sap the strongest part of his game, his explosiveness. I don't see him having any issues containing. We'll see after the Combine if he has the agility and fluidity to play 3-4 OLB. If not, he'll likely have to play 4-3 DE or LEO.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think Quinn was good enough and his production could be hard to replace. He isn't great but now there is a need that is not likely to be filled in free agency. It's never good to be so transparent.

Nose Tackle could be found later in the draft or in free agency. It wouldn't be a great player but just getting a lane flogger to rotate with Walker would do. I also think that Poe wasn't very expensive last year. He still can rush the passer and take on blockers. Edge rusher is rated third after QB, and OT,. They are harder to find.

I think it created a huge need going into the draft. Any time a team has such an obvious need they are subject to being jumped in the draft.

Disagree. Walker is JAG and it wasn’t enough. Wade’s D needs the ILBs to be clean and that means a better than average NT.

It’s not enough to generalize about the generic value of the NT position, but the actual defense has to be taken into account. With Wade’s D, the NT is more important than in other 3-4 defenses.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Disagree. Walker is JAG and it wasn’t enough. Wade’s D needs the ILBs to be clean and that means a better than average NT.

It’s not enough to generalize about the generic value of the NT position, but the actual defense has to be taken into account. With Wade’s D, the NT is more important than in other 3-4 defenses.

With Donald and Brockers on the line Wade doesn't need an All Pro Nose Tackle. But they do need Quinn's replacement.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Wade could make due with a clogger, but he definitely wants something more there if he can get it. That all said, Wade has always been good at finding underappreciated players to play NT. Keep an eye on Derrick Nnadi or P.J. Hall in the Draft if we don't sign someone in FA.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'd strongly consider trading back and taking Hercules Mata'afa if he tests well at the Combine.

Mata'afa is underrated (very explosive)
It be cool to have a Samson and Hercules as OLB's huh?

He looks pretty damn good to me...

But there are a bunch of diamonds in the rough out here today....can't remember all the names....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wade could make due with a clogger, but he definitely wants something more there if he can get it. That all said, Wade has always been good at finding underappreciated players to play NT. Keep an eye on Derrick Nnadi or P.J. Hall in the Draft if we don't sign someone in FA.

Yeah it's funny how we kicked this same conversation around last year, irt whether Wade would want a NT to come in through FA or draft. He ended up standing pat and eventually moving Brock to 5T where many of us thought he'd be best served, but that NT position definitely hurt us in the run defense.

Still, it's true that ideally he prefers guys who can one gap their way upfield quickly and stop the run with penetration. So I do think we'll get our "NT" in the draft in the form of one of these big bodied MFers who are going to be coming off the board in every day of the draft. With the money in 3T & 5T, it's sorta unavoidable IMO.

Ants

Starter

Funny, but this is the way I tend to think about "rotational" guys.
Are they guys that the team values and will start when they get the experience and coaching?
...or are they just guys sort of taking up a roster space until someone better comes along?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Keep an eye on Derrick Nnadi or P.J. Hall in the Draft if we don't sign someone in FA.

OVERVIEW

Listed at 6-foot-1, 312 pounds, Nnadi is not the largest nose tackle in front of scouts during the 2017 season. Few will outwork him, however, as he was named a third-team All-ACC selection, compiling 56 tackles, 10 for loss, and 3.5 sacks in 13 starts. ACC coaches named him first-team all-conference in 2016 after earning the team's Defensive Most Improved Player award in the spring. Nnadi started 11 of 13 games played, fighting through an early-season ankle injury to be credited with 49 tackles from the middle, 10.5 for loss, and six sacks. He collected third-team all-conference accolades from league media as a sophomore, starting every game (45 tackles, two sacks), following a true freshman campaign that saw him on the field for nine games (18 tackles, six against Georgia Tech's triple-option rushing attack in the ACC Championship Game). Despite his lack of height, Nnadi was considered a top 10 defensive tackle prospect nationally after amassing 33 sacks in his final two years of high school ball.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Robust build with burly booty. Low center of gravity increases leverage along interior. Possesses outstanding play strength and can chunk plates around in the weight room like it's nothing. Has good snap quickness. Able to attack gaps or read and react as 2-gapper. Keeps eyes peeled on ball-carriers. Can stick and shed blockers to catch runners darting through his gaps. Lateral agility and low pad level make him hard to secure and pin on move blocks. Productive tackler with good range. Leverages gap and works to maintain run fits. Shows ability to recover when attacked and dislodged from angle block. As a pass rusher, can counter from gap to gap when facing single block. Utilizes a swim and a quality slap and rip to attack the edge. Has lower body drive to generate some pocket push.
WEAKNESSES
Despite his compact build and quality mass, is still undersized by NFL standards as interior player. Will get big-boyed at times when he's facing a wide-body with power. Needs to win early with his hands to stay ahead in the rep. Can still improve quickness to diagnose run direction. Base is a little inconsistent through contact and he will lose some ground against quality double teams. Pass rush loses steam when guards land a stiff, initial jab to start the rep.
DRAFT PROJECTION
Round 4
SOURCES TELL US
"He's a good football player but I don't know what kind of impact he has in the NFL. He's not going to be in on rush downs and I don't know that he's a true disruptor. It's not that I don't like him but those kids of nose tackles have limited draft value." -- NFC General Manager
NFL COMPARISON
Javon Hargrave
BOTTOM LINE
It's hard to find "bad tape" for Nnadi. While NFL teams may see an undersized 4-3 nose tackle with limited pass rush value, I see a player with good power at the point of attack who can dislodge from single blocks and make plays. Nnadi has a good motor, active hands and enough pass rush ability to cause problems for blockers up front. Nnadi has the physical tools to play in one or two-gap schemes and has NFL starting ability.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/derrick-nnadi?id=2559812

OVERVIEW

Despite weighing about 300 pounds and being generously listed at 6-foot-1, Patrick Hall, Jr. (goes by P.J.) played as an outside rusher (standing up and hand-down) early in his career because of his quickness. The two-time first-team Associated Press FCS All-American played defensive tackle as a senior, however, garnering first-team All-Southland Conference honors by racking up 60 tackles, 19 for loss, six sacks, six pass breakups, and tying for the FCS lead with four blocked kicks. Hall was the 2016 Southland Conference Defensive Player of the Year and a finalist for the Buck Buchanan Award as the top defender in the old Division 1AA after racking up 24.5 tackles for loss and 13 sacks among his 56 total stops (along with three forced fumbles) in 13 starts. Hall was a third-team AP All-American pick and first-team All-Southland selection as a sophomore, leading the Kats with 75 tackles, 22 for loss and 11 sacks. He also blocked five kicks on the year, the second straight season he accomplished that feat. In his redshirt freshman season, Hall started his assault on the record books with a third-team AP All-American and first-team all-conference season. He finished third in Jerry Rice Award voting (top freshman in the FCS) after recording 30 tackles for loss and 12 sacks among his 93 stops, as well as forcing four fumbles.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Staggering production. Dominated his level of competition for four years. Finished with 86.5 tackles for loss and 42 sacks for his career. Compact with explosive power. Has a 700-pound squat to his name. Quick off the snap with early hands. Sharp upward thrust into blocker establishes leverage. Owned point of attack against his competition. Able to brace up against double teams. Equally powerful with upper and lower body. Athletic and rangy as tackler. Drives under and through the guard's edge. Corners tightly to cornerback once he's in the pocket. Able to push pocket as bull rusher. Eyeballs quarterback and mirrors his scramble for secondary sacks. His 14 career blocked kicks is unheard of.
WEAKNESSES
Tried to carry additional weight which may have slowed him this year. Squatty and lacking NFL length. Motor ran hot and cold at times. Additional weight appeared to impact conditioning and fatigue levels. Faced very few opponents who could match his strength on FCS level. Fails to feel and brace for down blocks and can be big-boyed out of the gap by size.
DRAFT PROJECTION
Rounds 6-7
NFL COMPARISON
Rakeem Nunez-Roches
BOTTOM LINE
What Hall lacks in height, weight and length, he makes up for with power and quickness. Hall has the quickness and strength to be disruptive against the run and pass as a shade nose or reduced front three-technique. His level of production in every category imaginable could foreshadow his ability to translate into the NFL, but he will have to prove he can maintain his weight and stand up to the rigors of the interior with bigger men across from him.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/p.j.-hall?id=2560080

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hall is a guy I've mocked to us a couple times and probably will in my next one.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Hall is a guy I've mocked to us a couple times and probably will in my next one.

Looking forward to the post combine mocks and now that Quinn has been dealt. FWIW's many had Quinn being traded and some had him going for a 2nd round pick, which I knew was too high, I felt the 4th was the best they could do and thus the deal was brokered.

For the record 2nd year in a row Rams made a deal with the Dolphins as last season they traded Purple Hayes, seems that there are some relationships or maybe it's just about scheme.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This move could be just that Quinn wasn't good enough for Wade. It could be he wasn't good enough for his cap hit. It could also be that he was a sacrifice to get more draft capital to allow them to make trades on draft day free up cap space to sign a corner, (maybe Tru), and that they wanted to get younger and healthier at the position.

I agree with Jrry about liking Okoronkwo. He is one of my draft favorites and probably could be picked outside of round 1. I don't know a lot about Mata afa.

A lot of teams ran over to the right side of the defense. Barwin may stay because he is a team leader and comes cheap, but upgrading Barron and Barwin along with a Nose Tackle seem to be a must. There are a lot of needs for a team that won their division.

Yep. Okoronkwo and Landry are the two edge guys whom I really like. Mata'afa is a tougher call, especially after a pedestrian Combine.