Rush Limbaugh: The NFL's Culture Problem

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Thordaddy misunderstanding my point:
There is a difference between pushing an agenda and reporting on it Al, your box ?

I think you missed my point. All those things I mentioned are not just what some of the media is reporting on, they're pushing it too. I didn't say I agree or disagree with any of those things I mentioned. I'm just pointing out that since I do see all those things being pushed by the media I can only surmise that you just aren't looking and listening to the same media I am.

I'm not commenting one way or the other about any political issue because this is a Rams football forum. I try to be informed about all the agendas being pushed by all the sides and that's why I think what you said is wrong. If you think that those other issues aren't being "pushed" in addition to LGBT issues I'll be glad to give you some directions that will enable you to see where those other issues are being "pushed".

Or, we could just have completely different definitions of "pushed". :ohno: :ww:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
albefree69 said:
Thordaddy misunderstanding my point:
There is a difference between pushing an agenda and reporting on it Al, your box ?

I think you missed my point. All those things I mentioned are not just what some of the media is reporting on, they're pushing it too. I didn't say I agree or disagree with any of those things I mentioned. I'm just pointing out that since I do see all those things being pushed by the media I can only surmise that you just aren't looking and listening to the same media I am.

I'm not commenting one way or the other about any political issue because this is a Rams football forum. I try to be informed about all the agendas being pushed by all the sides and that's why I think what you said is wrong. If you think that those other issues aren't being "pushed" in addition to LGBT issues I'll be glad to give you some directions that will enable you to see where those other issues are being "pushed".

Or, we could just have completely different definitions of "pushed". :ohno: :ww:
\

Al if you read my whole post, you'd see I said it was basically an example and that the "push " wasn't what was determining behavior,the behavior being the issue so sure they push those things but not to equal extent ,regardless it's law that has shaped the culture not media ,media is pretty impotent if they were so powerful they could stop the violence,but they cant.
It's prohibition that is causing it, you disagree ,fine,but your right to opinion includes the right to be wrong ,which you are :razzed:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Thordaddy forgetting my style of posting:
Al if you read my whole post
I think you're getting confused (probably age related :lol: ) because of the way I quote posters. I only quote the parts of the post I want to comment on. That doesn't mean I didn't agree with the rest of your post. Or that I did.

I disagreed with this comment: "Well ya know if the media was responsible they'd all be gay, cuz that's the only agenda I see being "pushed". If you say it was taken out of context then I believe you and apologize for saying you need to step out of the box you're in. :bg: If not, then I stand by what I said about that sentence.

It's not a comment on your philosophical beliefs but rather a comment about your sources of information. I'm OK either way. :cheers:

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Al, there you go again taking things out of context in order to disagree with your elders. And really on a throwaway line,of all the substantive things in those posts, you picked the least substantive thing to dwell upon,but I guess it was your opening ,so there ya have it.

SO instead of this

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF8GhC-T_Mo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF8GhC-T_Mo</a>

I would entertain your evaluation of the rest of the contentions,if you have the time

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Thordaddy wanting to dip his toe in the waters:
I would entertain your evaluation of the rest of the contentions,if you have the time

That's a Pandora's box I'm not sure i want to open. Not because I think we couldn't handle any differences civilly because I'm pretty sure we could. Still, I think limiting the conversations to football will ensure we remain friends forever. I'd rather not risk jeopardizing that. I've already lost some friends from the Huddle that I wish I still had.

Plus, I'd feel bad about me being right and you being wrong all the time. :ww:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And, as suspected, this thread turned political.
That was my bad.

Off to Off-Topic with ya, Rush.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
albefree69 said:
Thordaddy wanting to dip his toe in the waters:

That's a Pandora's box I'm not sure i want to open. Not because I think we couldn't handle any differences civilly because I'm pretty sure we could. Still, I think limiting the conversations to football will ensure we remain friends forever. I'd rather not risk jeopardizing that. I've already lost some friends from the Huddle that I wish I still had.

Plus, I'd feel bad about me being right and you being wrong all the time. :ww:
Really Al we're friends becuz we are, not becuz we agree about football, actualy we rarely agree there except about winning,I mean you wanted to keep Linehan and rehire him after we fired Spags I kept telling you we should move on you kept saying he was this nice Irish boy who needed a job and that Italian fellow had made such a mess of things etc.

Either way Al , I can handle your propensity for error just fine ,part of your charm.

Either way I'm not gonna be gay no matter how much the media thinks we all should be, children must be born and if everyone but me does it, then I'll have my duty to do.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Thordaddy said:
albefree69 said:
Thordaddy watching the wrong media:
Well ya know if the media was responsible they'd all be gay, cuz that's the only agenda I see being "pushed"

Civil rights, climate change, sane drug policies, EPA, protection of all the constitutional amendments, protection of animals and species, reduction of crime, job creation and women's rights to name just a very few. If you watch the right media. Come on over to my house and you can see it on my TVs all day long (except when I'm napping). I'll provide the beer and pretzels.

Gotta step out of the box you're in and stretch your eyes and mind if the only agenda you're seeing pushed is LGBT rights. :ww:

There is a difference between pushing an agenda and reporting on it Al, your box ? I've BEEN IN the liberal box before, was FWIW before you , WORE an All the Way With Alalai iridescent campaign button to school. YUP that's right I was a Dem supporter in 1956 when Stephenson lost for the second time to Eisenhower.
So I've had those pretzels and FYI they are stale the beer is flat ,the phylosophy is trite and built around emotional satisfaction instead of applicable solutions,that BTW is why discussions turn angry,you can't disagree with people who center their belief in their self worth upon their political positions, they just go back to intent instead of results.

NOW back to the REAL point of my post which was that the media follows more than it leads, for ALL their belief that they do and arrogance about it ,there was no Fox a short time ago they didn't lead people to believe the side of the news they allegedly taut and report they discovered there was a huge segment of the population who didn't agree with the liberal bent of the media.
Today Fox is number one because people aren't lead, they seek,Rush Limbaugh's success is not because he is some imagined Pied Piper as his detractors proclaim, it is, as he has said repeatedly, because he says what his listeners already think and want said.

Our culture leads the media and if they don't give us what we want they go broke.

The "gay " comment was a metaphor AL ,for the fact that ESPN didn't cause the culture , Aaron Hernandez and the rest of the NFL gun culture didn't materialize because someone with so little power you could shut them up by changing channels lead us anywhere. NO our government has unwittingly orchestrated this culture through inescapable policies backed by scads of poorly conceived laws, billions upon billions of dollars spent upon forceful ,doomed to failure ,behavior modification.
Our government has done this by believing they could change people by making a law. Laws don't govern ,they prescribe penalties ,fear of penalty governs. When desire overcomes fear,law fails,when desire is prompted by nature,law that ignores nature is bound to fail and ignorant "governors" redouble their fanatic desire to change nature and the more violent they become in their obsession the more violent the society will become in it's defiance.

We've skirted race here and it's something that political correctness will always demand .
Here's the fact ,hockey and baseball don't apparently have the culture football and basketball do because they are more predominantly white sports where skills have to be honed and fostered young by interested adults and the economic reality is that black kids don't have the dads who help them .
I've watched it transpire over the years, it's the same in wrestling.
Football and basketball lend themselves to the family and cultural dynamics of black youth.
That alone would mean nothing , but then when you compound it with the demographics of prison occupancy promulgated by the drug prohibition you come up with an alarming percentage of young black men who are ex cons so many it is almost hard to believe it isn't planned,big brother, dads uncles , fresh from prison on mid to low level drug charges, unemployable because they dropped out of HS and have prison records, ready cash if they go back in "the trade" , "you always carry weapons cuz you always carry cash" and the formula is pretty well on auto pilot.

It has frankly become a near right of passage in ghetto thug life to "pop your cherry" by being arrested for drugs.

Rush BTW is way off the mark on this ,he's pro prohibition but has indulged his own humanity in illegal drug commerce to the extent he needed cochlear implants,doesn't mean he doesn't have part of the answer,he just misses on where the seeds really get planted and how to short circuit the whole thing if in deed we aren't beyond a tipping point.

I know someone in another thread said even with legalization there'll still be black markets, which is true IF we are so imprudent as to let excess taxation become a de facto re institution of prohibition,I recommend reading the prologue to "The Fatal Shore" ( the story of the Botany Bay colonists).

It's a mistake to politicize peoples positions on this ,politics is how power brokers divide people but if I can break from that for just a single post, most know I'm regarded as an arch conservative ,pretty well I'm guilty but JMO few conservatives are pure in their ideology when it comes to drugs, most are happy to see the government intervene and try to save people from themselves in what I consider to be about as liberal a use of government as anything I've ever seen.

I don't blame anyone but Aaron Hernandez for what he did or is accused of, he was given choices ,I do blame the people who made his choices too easily made wrong for not being honest with themselves about their part in the whole.

Gotta get our heads out of our arses here, the people who own AB don't shoot the people who own Jack Daniels ,but if beer and whiskey were illegal they'd still be shooting each other.
Well, since this thread wend political I'l chime in (again). In general, I think we're on the same page regarding everything you're trying to say except when it comes to the media. There you're just wrong, because the media in fact drives culture and is hugely responsible for society's direction. Before telling me I'm wrong, I suggest checking out the work of Joseph Goebbels (<a class="postlink" href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Goebbels" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Goebbels</a>) and Edward Bernays (<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Bernays" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Bernays</a>).

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Stranger said:
Thordaddy said:
albefree69 said:
Thordaddy watching the wrong media:
Well ya know if the media was responsible they'd all be gay, cuz that's the only agenda I see being "pushed"

Civil rights, climate change, sane drug policies, EPA, protection of all the constitutional amendments, protection of animals and species, reduction of crime, job creation and women's rights to name just a very few. If you watch the right media. Come on over to my house and you can see it on my TVs all day long (except when I'm napping). I'll provide the beer and pretzels.

Gotta step out of the box you're in and stretch your eyes and mind if the only agenda you're seeing pushed is LGBT rights. :ww:

There is a difference between pushing an agenda and reporting on it Al, your box ? I've BEEN IN the liberal box before, was FWIW before you , WORE an All the Way With Alalai iridescent campaign button to school. YUP that's right I was a Dem supporter in 1956 when Stephenson lost for the second time to Eisenhower.
So I've had those pretzels and FYI they are stale the beer is flat ,the phylosophy is trite and built around emotional satisfaction instead of applicable solutions,that BTW is why discussions turn angry,you can't disagree with people who center their belief in their self worth upon their political positions, they just go back to intent instead of results.

NOW back to the REAL point of my post which was that the media follows more than it leads, for ALL their belief that they do and arrogance about it ,there was no Fox a short time ago they didn't lead people to believe the side of the news they allegedly taut and report they discovered there was a huge segment of the population who didn't agree with the liberal bent of the media.
Today Fox is number one because people aren't lead, they seek,Rush Limbaugh's success is not because he is some imagined Pied Piper as his detractors proclaim, it is, as he has said repeatedly, because he says what his listeners already think and want said.

Our culture leads the media and if they don't give us what we want they go broke.

The "gay " comment was a metaphor AL ,for the fact that ESPN didn't cause the culture , Aaron Hernandez and the rest of the NFL gun culture didn't materialize because someone with so little power you could shut them up by changing channels lead us anywhere. NO our government has unwittingly orchestrated this culture through inescapable policies backed by scads of poorly conceived laws, billions upon billions of dollars spent upon forceful ,doomed to failure ,behavior modification.
Our government has done this by believing they could change people by making a law. Laws don't govern ,they prescribe penalties ,fear of penalty governs. When desire overcomes fear,law fails,when desire is prompted by nature,law that ignores nature is bound to fail and ignorant "governors" redouble their fanatic desire to change nature and the more violent they become in their obsession the more violent the society will become in it's defiance.

We've skirted race here and it's something that political correctness will always demand .
Here's the fact ,hockey and baseball don't apparently have the culture football and basketball do because they are more predominantly white sports where skills have to be honed and fostered young by interested adults and the economic reality is that black kids don't have the dads who help them .
I've watched it transpire over the years, it's the same in wrestling.
Football and basketball lend themselves to the family and cultural dynamics of black youth.
That alone would mean nothing , but then when you compound it with the demographics of prison occupancy promulgated by the drug prohibition you come up with an alarming percentage of young black men who are ex cons so many it is almost hard to believe it isn't planned,big brother, dads uncles , fresh from prison on mid to low level drug charges, unemployable because they dropped out of HS and have prison records, ready cash if they go back in "the trade" , "you always carry weapons cuz you always carry cash" and the formula is pretty well on auto pilot.

It has frankly become a near right of passage in ghetto thug life to "pop your cherry" by being arrested for drugs.

Rush BTW is way off the mark on this ,he's pro prohibition but has indulged his own humanity in illegal drug commerce to the extent he needed cochlear implants,doesn't mean he doesn't have part of the answer,he just misses on where the seeds really get planted and how to short circuit the whole thing if in deed we aren't beyond a tipping point.

I know someone in another thread said even with legalization there'll still be black markets, which is true IF we are so imprudent as to let excess taxation become a de facto re institution of prohibition,I recommend reading the prologue to "The Fatal Shore" ( the story of the Botany Bay colonists).

It's a mistake to politicize peoples positions on this ,politics is how power brokers divide people but if I can break from that for just a single post, most know I'm regarded as an arch conservative ,pretty well I'm guilty but JMO few conservatives are pure in their ideology when it comes to drugs, most are happy to see the government intervene and try to save people from themselves in what I consider to be about as liberal a use of government as anything I've ever seen.

I don't blame anyone but Aaron Hernandez for what he did or is accused of, he was given choices ,I do blame the people who made his choices too easily made wrong for not being honest with themselves about their part in the whole.

Gotta get our heads out of our arses here, the people who own AB don't shoot the people who own Jack Daniels ,but if beer and whiskey were illegal they'd still be shooting each other.
Well, since this thread wend political I'l chime in (again). In general, I think we're on the same page regarding everything you're trying to say except when it comes to the media. There you're just wrong, because the media in fact drives culture and is hugely responsible for society's direction. Before telling me I'm wrong, I suggest checking out the work of Joseph Goebbels (<a class="postlink" href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Goebbels" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Goebbels</a>) and Edward Bernays (<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Bernays" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Bernays</a>).
Yeah Stranger ,there is an exception or two maybe a million and Goebbels had the gubmint behind them and were able to violently dismiss dissent.
I'm talking about a culture not at all dissimilar to the one we experienced during our alcohol prohibition during the 20's ,the culture dramatized by such films as the Untouchables and series like Boardwalk Empire. I mean drive by shootings aren't an invention of the current drug culture,nor is the rest of the violence

Can someone tell a lie enough times and get someone to believe it? sure. But what we are talking here is a media inculcating of a gun culture in a select sport, not pandemically.

But if I may I'd like to say that I don't really regard this as a political observation anyway and FWIW my mentioning that I am an arch conservative was mostly to highlight that my position on this was any thing but my abdication to politicians of my personal bent on how I stand on this subject.Sure I vote Republican ,how popular do you think my position is in that party?
Jeez man, everything is political if you desperately want it to be.

BTW please don't think that comment was aimed at you,we've had some differences and I'm glad we have some common ground here you are a passionate guy and the two of us could really cause some havoc if we let our passions run amok.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Thordaddy said:
BTW please don't think that comment was aimed at you,we've had some differences and I'm glad we have some common ground here you are a passionate guy and the two of us could really cause some havoc if we let our passions run amok.
:)