Rush Defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ellard80

Legend
I heard Kurt Warner mention that he wasn't necessarily sold on our playoff prowess because our run defense looks suspect.

I kind of agree with him.. the giants were gashing us until they fell too far behind to run.

It is a bit concerning.. I think we rank 23rd in rush defense.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Not only that by Eli was missing open receivers. Our D needs to step up because we have tougher competition coming up.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
The experts can say what they want and the stats do tell some truth to the story, but I have faith in the 2nd half of the season in the one and only ageless...................

"defensive wizard"
premium_landscape.jpg

In Wade We Trust

Ellard80

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Our defense... statistically has been improving.

But... well... we will know in the next few weeks how for real the defense is.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This stat is based on the entire Season to date. IF you just look at the Last 3 games, we are much better than most people think!!(y);):D And getting better!!:mrburnsevil:

Ellard80

Legend
This stat is based on the entire Season to date. IF you just look at the Last 3 games, we are much better than most people think!!(y);):D And getting better!!:mrburnsevil:

Perhaps.. but we give up 4.6 yards per rush.. which ranks 27th in the NFL.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The run defense looked awful as AP gashed us to the tune of 21 yards on 11 carries. (1.9 avg)
Amiright??
Rams have given up a total of 136 rushing yards in last 2 games while out scoring the opponent 84-17.
Rush defense?

Ellard80

Legend
The run defense looked awful as AP gashed us to the tune of 21 yards on 11 carries. (1.9 avg)
Amiright??
Rams have given up a total of 136 rushing yards in last 2 games while out scoring the opponent 84-17.
Rush defense?

Hence my comment that is has been better lately.. though last game I didn't think it looked good...

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Warner is right. While we have outstanding DE's in Donald & Brockers, neither Smart or Walker are consistently effective interior run defenders. Both Quinn & Barwin have been pretty terrible at run blocking, and while Longacre & Ebukam fare quite a bit better outside, they just aren't getting the snaps. Ogletree is still ranking quite low inside for this department also. Our CAP kept us from wholesale changes while converting from a 4 -3 Base to Wade's 3 - 4 in 2017, but i'll expect to see either a more effective rotation in obvious run down situations and/or prioritizing these weaknesses during the draft and free agency. Walker at NT is effective as a pass defender, but we need the rotation to find a solid rush defender, and so far Tanzel Smart hasn't been it. jmo.

Last edited:

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2017110504/2017/REG9/rams@giants#menu=gameinfo|contentId:0ap3000000871906&tab=recap

Well, the 2 pylons the Giants have behind that awful OL really "gashed" us early and often

TEAM LEADERS

LOS ANGELES RAMS
Passing Cmp Att Yds TDs
J. Goff 14 22 311 4
Rushing Car Yds Avg TDs
T. Gurley 16 59 3.7 2
M. Brown 15 57 3.8 0

Receiving Rec Yds Avg TDs
R. Woods 4 70 17.5 2
S. Watkins 1 67 67 1

NEW YORK GIANTS
Passing Cmp Att Yds TDs
E. Manning 20 36 220 2

Rushing Car Yds Avg TDs

O. Darkwa 16 71 4.4 0........................... < Here not good folks
W. Gallman 9 41 4.6 0........................... < Here not good folks

Receiving Rec Yds Avg TDs
E. Engram 4 70 17.5 1
S. Shepard 5 70 14 0
ANALYZE BOX SCORE >

I get we have been good-great in game adjustments but in the 1Q vs. the Giants we were awful and its been like this all season. Need to be ready earlier.

***This will be something I will be watching moving fwd as we start to get into the meat of our schedule..
Our DEF front needs to be waaaay more stout if we are to be for really imho

fearsomefour

Legend
We seem to give up stuff right up the middle.
Makes sense. Donald plays T a lot and he can be directed and the MlB are small.

RamWoodie

Legend
I think the problem is running the 34 defense....I've been saying it for weeks. Even though the Ram D' is getting better this team doesn't have the LB corps to run the 34.

I think you do better just lining up in a 43 because the DLine is DEEP.

Ok...drop Quinn back as a LB at times...BUT PLAY FOUR DOWN ON THE LINE!

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
We seem to give up stuff right up the middle.
Makes sense. Donald plays T a lot and he can be directed and the MlB are small.

Ya its been like a parting of the sea in the early stages of almost every game this seasom imho

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Points allowed is what matters. As long as the D isnt giving up TDs the Rams should be fine. The O will score, even if its 8 FGs.

Ram65

Legend
I heard Kurt Warner mention that he wasn't necessarily sold on our playoff prowess because our run defense looks suspect.

I kind of agree with him.. the giants were gashing us until they fell too far behind to run.

Some need to rewatch the game.

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/rams-vs-giants-full-game-condensed.52051/

At the 11:43 mark of the video Manning misses Sheldon wide open deep. I know that's a pass play that should have been competed by a beaten TruJo. Watching the first 11:43 you will see the Giants getting 5 yards a pop on run plays plus a big gain right up the middle as Barron misses the tackle on the second play of the game. Had that pass been competed the game would have been 17-14 Rams with 9 minutes remaining in the first half. The Giants helped the Rams with a false start leading to the Donald forced fumble on their first drive. Run defense has been a problem. Getting big leads early has given a false sense of security concerning the Rams run defense.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
We've given up a couple big runs in each game early and then crank down on the run defense. Sure we can do better in the 1st Q but overall our run defense is good and getting better.

TexasRam

Legend
Teams with lesser run defenses have won SuperBowls. It's all about the whole package.

Our Run defense isn't the 85 bears but it is able at times to shut down the run for stretches and that is most of the time good enough to stay in a game when you have a top offense.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I Jags game made me not worry. We were stout when we needed to be (and against Dallas--fairly good)---LO, Lnot counting the 2 long runs in those games!

So, we were never dominated.

Also early on agains the Cards we showed what we have.