Running the ball on 2nd and Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DthOn2Legs

Rookie
Few things in Boras' playcalling irks me more than when he chooses to call a running play up the middle on 2nd and long...as it's almost-always a sure 3rd and Long result and, thus, a virtual drive killer.

Wanting to see just how poorly the Rams have fared on these plays, I went through each drive chart this season and wrote down what the Rams did when they ran the ball on 2nd Down and between 8 and 12 yards to go and what they did when they passed the ball on 2nd and 10. Results:

RUN: 16 carries, 33 yards, 2.06 avg, Longest Run = 5 yds.
PASS: 8/12, 77 yds, 1 TD

Can we somehow get Fish-Bore to simply stop running it on 2nd and Long??? IT'S NOT WORKING (as if that matters) o_O

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Or, if they must run the football, at least not run it up the gut every time....

But Boras has got better each week, IMO. Until that stops, I'm okay with the guy.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
If running on 2nd down, I expect some degree of creativity be it off tackle HB toss, misdirection, HB screen, etc.

DthOn2Legs

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Carry-by-carry results (for those who are wondering):

vs. SF: 1, 2, 5
vs. SEA: -2, 4, 2, 0
vs. TB: 3, 3, 0
vs. AZ: 3, 3, -4
vs. BUF: 5
vs. DET: 3, 5

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
On a slightly similar subject, why in the hell are we rushing Austin up the middle? If we are going to use him to run, it should not be between the tackles. If Gurley needs a spell, let's try something that might actually work....his name is Cunningham

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
On a slightly similar subject, why in the hell are we rushing Austin up the middle? If we are going to use him to run, it should not be between the tackles. If Gurley needs a spell, let's try something that might actually work....his name is Cunningham
Because if it works, and he gets through the first line of defense, he's gone.
He's only done it twice this year, and 12 times all of last year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Benny is shifty af. Would like to see some more runs from him.
Agree, and that's why I brought it up weeks ago.

thank_you_one_person_stephen_colbert.gif

fearsomefour

Legend
To try and catch a seem with a guy with break away speed.
I want to see Brown get more carries. He is a power runner. I like what Cunningham can do in certain aspects but I love how Brown gets positive yards.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
What I would like to see is more running out of a spread set. Use motion to imply jet sweep and then have Todd go the way the motion came from. Use the spread against the defense. Not bring them in w/ the Jumbo set. We haven't proved to be a power running team. Quit trying to act like one. Like Jack Nicklaus says. If you are hitting the ball to the right....play it. Just let the right combination of things happen. Better things happen when you don't force something. (yes, a golf analogy isn't the best....but it fits.....)

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I really don't know but I'd guess Benny's YPC is SIGNIFICANTLY better than Gurleys...Do other teams not think he'll not carry the rock??? Does the O line suddenly and out of nowhere figure out how to run block ???

Of course maybe I'm wrong and it's not higher, but I think Gurley is last in the league???

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I really don't know but I'd guess Benny's YPC is SIGNIFICANTLY better than Gurleys...Do other teams not think he'll not carry the rock??? Does the O line suddenly and out of nowhere figure out how to run block ???

I just looked and it's such a small sample size, can't compare...I thought he had more than 6 carries...