Running For His Life:The Lawrence Phillips Story

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Did anyone else check this out on showtime last night? It was very interesting and really explained parts of his life that morphed him into the troubled man that he was.

Some things I took from it:

-He was intellectually gifted and while in prison was a heavy reader. He also had near perfect cursive penmanship.

-He didn't see color; black/white didn't matter. He saw men by their actions. And kept in touch with former coaches from HS over all those years.

- He did not handle rejection well at all, especially by women. And would lose himself in rage.

-This one was big for me. His friends and family don't believe the suicide. It was completely odd, he was wearing two pairs of socks, pants and shirts. He was clinching a picture of a small boy, they have no clue who he was. When his mother received his items, she found in his sock, in block handwriting a note--"did you hear the one about the ex football player that hunt himself from the tv mount"

Just a good documentary, shot in the style of "A Football Life". I highly recommend it.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
- He did not handle rejection well at all, especially by women. And would lose himself in rage.
Yep, I saw it too...Sad tale...I point to his upbringing with his mom. She allowed a boyfriend of hers to piss on his back to discipline him for something. Probably developed a lack of respect for women at this point.

Two pairs socks, underwear, and shirts are typical prison garb. Dudes double up...

Something is truly wrong with the dept. of children services...I mean, some can get out of there unscathed and normal, but the majority are broken.

In los angeles in the 80's & 90's, many athletes wanted to play for Nebraska or Oklahoma...they were traditional power houses...You'd think that his talent would keep him out of trouble...Rather, the realization that he could probably be very wealthy if he just stayed clean shoulda kept him on the straight and narrow road. Too many demon in his mind.

By the time he ran over those kids in the park, I bet he figured his life was over...Stealing from him just enraged a guy that was ready to pop.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
He was a senior when I was a freshman in HS. Dude had it made even at that early age. Walked around campus like a King. Rumor is he was banging one of the teachers.

The guy probably had the same experiences in College. When he got to the NFL, it was a whole new world. I don't think he had the proper support system around him. Happens all the time, unfortunately.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep, I saw it too...Sad tale...I point to his upbringing with his mom. She allowed a boyfriend of hers to Pee on his back to discipline him for something. Probably developed a lack of respect for women at this point.

Two pairs socks, underwear, and shirts are typical prison garb. Dudes double up...

Something is truly wrong with the dept. of children services...I mean, some can get out of there unscathed and normal, but the majority are broken.

In los angeles in the 80's & 90's, many athletes wanted to play for Nebraska or Oklahoma...they were traditional power houses...You'd think that his talent would keep him out of trouble...Rather, the realization that he could probably be very wealthy if he just stayed clean shoulda kept him on the straight and narrow road. Too many demon in his mind.

By the time he ran over those kids in the park, I bet he figured his life was over...Stealing from him just enraged a guy that was ready to pop.

Yea, the part about the man holding him down with his foot and pissing on him was more than disturbing. I felt uneasy after watching it for some reason, like I had just watched a horror flick.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I felt uneasy after watching it for some reason, like I had just watched a horror flick.
Probably won't watch it because I have a feeling I'll feel the same way.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Probably won't watch it because I have a feeling I'll feel the same way.

It wasn't because of him being a bust...it was the end, when they spoke about his death. Idk, just didn't feel right.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Yep, I saw it too...Sad tale...I point to his upbringing with his mom. She allowed a boyfriend of hers to Pee on his back to discipline him for something. Probably developed a lack of respect for women at this point.

Damn
I mean, if he could have just gotten over his demons, i don't know, without drugs or alcohol, maybe with a great lady or with God, and if only he turned out victorious, and just f'ing ran, and just took it out on opposing defenses, imagine what a great role model he could have been
I mean see how fragile it is? Greatest talent, greatest mind, there is so much talent out there being lost, so much greatness being lost cause of he infuence of f'd up people
Makes me mad