Running Back Competition

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram4life11

Rookie
Man I'm sure ready to see how this Running Back pans out. We have alot of depth at the RB position but no standout back yet. Coming into camp we have a nice battle between these guys,
1) D. Richardson
2) I. Pead
3) Z.Stacey
4) T. Genaway
5) B. Cunningham

How do you guys see the RB playing out in the end? Who starts, who gets the most carries, who has the biggest year?

Any opinions????

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
3,2,1,4,5 in that order ,I think you need to consider whether the top rushing totals might not come from Tuhvon.
BTW I joked that his name be pronounced that way before the draft ,if you listen to Snead ,that's how he (Snead ) pronounces it.

Ram4life11

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Thor,

I to disagree with u a little bit. I have it Richardson, Stacey, Pead, Cunningham, Genaway in that order. Genaway showed me nothing to prove he's ready to compete for a spot. Pead showed flashes late. Stacey played very affective in the SEC so you have to assume he's almost ready. Richardson made some big plays early in the season, but fell off late. Cunningham is banged up, if he's 100% he will be in the race to start, he has the size and the speed to be a every down back. Just a prediction, I could be wrong tho...

iced

Pead's the lead back, imo.

Snead doesn't keep saying over and over that they expect him to carry the load for no reason

Ram4life11

Rookie
Ice

I'm sure Tavon will get his share of carries. But I more so feel he will get the majority of his carries on motion plays, such as jet sweeps and stretches. I think his carries directly out of the backfield will be limited, due to his size... IMO

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Ram4life11 said:
Thanks Thor,

I to disagree with u a little bit. I have it Richardson, Stacey, Pead, Cunningham, Genaway in that order. Genaway showed me nothing to prove he's ready to compete for a spot. Pead showed flashes late. Stacey played very affective in the SEC so you have to assume he's almost ready. Richardson made some big plays early in the season, but fell off late. Cunningham is banged up, if he's 100% he will be in the race to start, he has the size and the speed to be a every down back. Just a prediction, I could be wrong tho...

To be fair Ganaway never got a chance to prove himself. He's a power back and we were never going to pull SJ in favor of Ganaway. The team claimed him on waivers so they obviously thought fairly highly of him.

I'm anxious to see the camp battle between Stacy and Ganaway. Should be a good one. I can see us keeping 4 backs. I could also see Ganaway get a bit of time at FB.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Top Four RB's:
Pead (Starter)
Stacy (this is your short yardage goal line RB)
Richardson
Tavon Austin (Fisher will make every attempt to put the ball in his hands even swing out of the backfield)

Cunningham (PUP'd)

Camp RB Fodder & PS only material:
T.Ganaway (IMO Ganaway is about 90% RB & 10% FB)
Chase Reynolds

(Top FB/H-back/Move-TE) Candidates:
Lance Kendricks (Starter)
Philip Lutzenkirchen UDFA
Cory Harkey
Mike McNeil

Training Camp Fodder& PS only material:
Cameron Graham
Eric Stevens (is pure traditional serious Full back who suffered a torn ACL on Aug. 10 2011 & most of early 2012 season. He is powerful plowing lead blocker coming from a serious run-heavy offense. A special teams ace)!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Let's not start cutting Terrance Ganaway just yet because by far he's the biggest RB and IMO that's going to mean something in the end. My concern with this group is picking up the blitz that is something Pead nor Richardson proved last season they had the ability to do especially Richardson and is why Jackson was on the field more often than not.

Overall Pead was gaining confidence in the end and I look for him to lead the pack in training camp, but last season Ganaway never received an opportunity so I want to see more of him before I start posting about Benny Cunningham!

Plus Ganaway could a cool nickname "Duke" as in the Duke of Sandwhich.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
libertadrocks said:
Ram4life11 said:
Thanks Thor,

To be fair Ganaway never got a chance to prove himself. He's a power back and we were never going to pull SJ in favor of Ganaway. The team claimed him on waivers so they obviously thought fairly highly of him.

I'm anxious to see the camp battle between Stacy and Ganaway. Should be a good one. I can see us keeping 4 backs. I could also see Ganaway get a bit of time at FB.

libertadrocks agree with on the Ganaway at FB. This idea would be sweet on goaline packages.

Ebonemalone

Rookie
den-the-coach said:
Let's not start cutting Terrance Ganaway just yet because by far he's the biggest RB and IMO that's going to mean something in the end. My concern with this group is picking up the blitz that is something Pead nor Richardson proved last season they had the ability to do especially Richardson and is why Jackson was on the field more often than not.

Overall Pead was gaining confidence in the end and I look for him to lead the pack in training camp, but last season Ganaway never received an opportunity so I want to see more of him before I start posting about Benny Cunningham!

Hey Den do you frequent another rams forum? I swear there's another "den the coach" on one i go on called "Real Rams Fans"

I'm kind of mad I forget who got more carries last year after Jackson, pead or Richardson? Thats who will have the start out of the gate I think. But who knows through all the camps, one of the other three may take charge! Thats what's exciting about rookies.

Also, I'm 21, most of these rookies are the same age! I don't like to compare myself to them, I look weak and slow haha!

lockdnram21

Legend
The only thing ganaway has going for him is hes big and can block. Hes slow and doesnt have good vision. Benny is like 210 and runs a 4.4 when healthy. He might be a lil bigger. Ganaway better hope bennys not healthy by camp. I yhink if hes healthy ganaway will be cut or back to practice squad.

Ram4life11

Rookie
LockdnRam

I agree with u completely. I'm not 100% sold on Benny Cunningham yet, but from his Georgia Tech highlights I'm excited to see how he comes into Training Camp and competes. Because I feel if he's healthy, he's just as good if not better than every back we have. IMO I feel Cunningham will beat out Genaway for the final RB spot...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
BonifayRam said:
Top Four RB's:
Pead (Starter)
Stacy (this is your short yardage goal line RB)
Richardson
Tavon Austin (Fisher will make every attempt to put the ball in his hands even swing out of the backfield)

Cunningham (PUP'd)

Camp RB Fodder & PS only material:
T.Ganaway (IMO Ganaway is about 90% RB & 10% FB)
Chase Reynolds

(Top FB/H-back/Move-TE) Candidates:
Lance Kendricks (Starter)
Philip Lutzenkirchen UDFA
Cory Harkey
Mike McNeil

Training Camp Fodder& PS only material:
Cameron Graham
Eric Stevens (is pure traditional serious Full back who suffered a torn ACL on Aug. 10 2011 & most of early 2012 season. He is powerful plowing lead blocker coming from a serious run-heavy offense. A special teams ace)!
I agree with this. Pead will get the most opportunities initially IMO. Its up to him to take it and establish himself.

iced

Ram4life11 said:
Ice

I'm sure Tavon will get his share of carries. But I more so feel he will get the majority of his carries on motion plays, such as jet sweeps and stretches. I think his carries directly out of the backfield will be limited, due to his size... IMO

I said Pead...?

nighttrain

Legend
iced said:
Ram4life11 said:
Ice

I said Pead...?

yup, must have read different to Ram4life11
train

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
den-the-coach said:

Did you mean the "Earl" of Snadwich

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Montagu,_4th_Earl_of_Sandwich" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Monta ... f_Sandwich</a>

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
GANAWAY reads:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/terrance-ganaway-24/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospe ... anaway-24/</a>

Positives:
Has strong hips and nice bulk to withstand hits. Runs hard — hits the hole and barrels straight ahead. Good feet for a bigger back. Squares his shoulders and makes subtle lateral cuts. Good lean and leg drive. Uses his stiff-arm. Gets better with a lather and finishes strong in the second half. Has a 371⁄2-inch vertical jump (second-best of all backs at the Combine while easily outweighing all). Well-liked by teammates.
Negatives:

Average initial quickness. Does not have speed to reach the perimeter or break away. Stride lacks extension and fluidity. Tight hips. Not creative or elusive. Average lateral agility and body control. Gears down to change direction and cuts off his heels. Barely used in the passing game. Carries the ball loosely. Showed he could be contained (see Kansas State, Texas A&M). Only a one-year producer. Many of his yards were blocked for him.
Summary:

Thickly built, straight-linish, first- and second-down back at his best when he is able to square his shoulders and roll downhill. Has a bull-in-a-china-shop style, but was productive as a senior after waiting his turn behind Jay Finley, and could warrant interest as a No. 2/short-yardage back. Limited special-teams value could affect status. Shows some likeness to Chiefs RB Jackie Battle and might need some time to develop.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1273532/terrance-ganaway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... ce-ganaway</a>
Analysis
Strengths: Thickly-put-together throughout his frame and runs with power, showing the leg drive to push the pile. Runs balanced and close to the ground with the natural strength to stay on his feet through contact as defenders slip off of him ? load to tackle and easily runs through arm tackles. Has good vision to find the hole and get north/south. Gets good initial push and always seems to be falling forward for a positive gain. A hard runner with a workhorse-type back mentality. Does a nice job picking up the blitz and using his frame to impede rushers. Earned the starting running back job as a senior and made the most of his opportunity, leading the Big 12 in rushing and finishing third in the NCAA with 21 rush scores ? finished the season with six 100+ yard and three 200+ yard performances. Has good bloodlines as the nephew of former NFL defensive lineman Jeremiah Trotter. Weaknesses: Poor acceleration and takes too long to get up to full speed ? a slow starter with little burst to his game. Too hesitant when the hole isn?t there and wastes time running laterally. Tight-hipped and doesn?t show much wiggle or open-field shiftiness. Stops his feet too quickly and needs to consistently keep his legs moving through contact. Not overly physical for his size and won?t run over defenders ? doesn?t break enough tackles. Will run with inconsistent pad level at times and struggle to get through the line of scrimmage at the next level. Needs to watch his weight and stay conditioned. Has limited experience catching the ball out of the backfield and needs to improve his technique in pass protection.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
BonifayRam said:
GANAWAY reads:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/terrance-ganaway-24/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospe ... anaway-24/</a>

Positives:
Has strong hips and nice bulk to withstand hits. Runs hard — hits the hole and barrels straight ahead. Good feet for a bigger back. Squares his shoulders and makes subtle lateral cuts. Good lean and leg drive. Uses his stiff-arm. Gets better with a lather and finishes strong in the second half. Has a 371⁄2-inch vertical jump (second-best of all backs at the Combine while easily outweighing all). Well-liked by teammates.
Negatives:

Average initial quickness. Does not have speed to reach the perimeter or break away. Stride lacks extension and fluidity. Tight hips. Not creative or elusive. Average lateral agility and body control. Gears down to change direction and cuts off his heels. Barely used in the passing game. Carries the ball loosely. Showed he could be contained (see Kansas State, Texas A&M). Only a one-year producer. Many of his yards were blocked for him.
Summary:

Thickly built, straight-linish, first- and second-down back at his best when he is able to square his shoulders and roll downhill. Has a bull-in-a-china-shop style, but was productive as a senior after waiting his turn behind Jay Finley, and could warrant interest as a No. 2/short-yardage back. Limited special-teams value could affect status. Shows some likeness to Chiefs RB Jackie Battle and might need some time to develop.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1273532/terrance-ganaway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... ce-ganaway</a>
Analysis
Strengths: Thickly-put-together throughout his frame and runs with power, showing the leg drive to push the pile. Runs balanced and close to the ground with the natural strength to stay on his feet through contact as defenders slip off of him ? load to tackle and easily runs through arm tackles. Has good vision to find the hole and get north/south. Gets good initial push and always seems to be falling forward for a positive gain. A hard runner with a workhorse-type back mentality. Does a nice job picking up the blitz and using his frame to impede rushers. Earned the starting running back job as a senior and made the most of his opportunity, leading the Big 12 in rushing and finishing third in the NCAA with 21 rush scores ? finished the season with six 100+ yard and three 200+ yard performances. Has good bloodlines as the nephew of former NFL defensive lineman Jeremiah Trotter. Weaknesses: Poor acceleration and takes too long to get up to full speed ? a slow starter with little burst to his game. Too hesitant when the hole isn?t there and wastes time running laterally. Tight-hipped and doesn?t show much wiggle or open-field shiftiness. Stops his feet too quickly and needs to consistently keep his legs moving through contact. Not overly physical for his size and won?t run over defenders ? doesn?t break enough tackles. Will run with inconsistent pad level at times and struggle to get through the line of scrimmage at the next level. Needs to watch his weight and stay conditioned. Has limited experience catching the ball out of the backfield and needs to improve his technique in pass protection.

There are a lot of positives in there too. Positives I really like. You just choose to highlight the negative. lol

OhioRam

Rookie
Pead will start
Rich the backup
Stacy goal line stort yard back as season go's
on may get more playing time.
Cunningham-PS
Tarrance is toast