Run Defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I know our Run D has been a hot topic over through these first 2 weeks of the young season. Let me say that one more time YOUNG season. I think whether positive or negative, some people like to read too much into where their team ranks in overall offensive or defensive categories early in the season. Sure our poor ranking through 2 weeks could be a sign of things to come, OR it could simply 2 outlying weeks by the end of the season. Lets not forget that our Rammies didn't start too hot vs the run last year, and by the end of the season we ranked #9 in rushing yards allowed per game at 102.9.

I decided to go back and re-watch every carry from Bucs RBs last week to see if I could get to the root of the issue. Not to sound too optimistic, but looking back I think the majority of the mistakes we made are CORRECTABLE.

From re-watching the tape it is clear to me that the LBs are at fault on the MAJORITY of the big runs. DL usually puts them in good position to make plays.

I charted 3 kinds of significant yardage I charted out of the 29 carries for 150:

4 explosive runs (18, 18, 24, 31) for 91 yards
4 runs for no gain
7 runs for loss (-1, -1, -1, -2, -2, -2, -3)

Here's what I saw in the significant runs:

-On 3 of 4 of the explosive runs, JL stays engaged too long w/FB &/or C. On the other run(18 yds), JL is aligned to the right side of the OL over the TE in what the D thought would be a passing down (2nd & 10). JL was unable to reach Rainey until after he shot through the hole.
-Tree got blocked out of 2 of the explosive runs by OL, however taking LT Collins in one of those is a tall task. The other run he was involved in (24 yds), he whiffed at the LOS.
-Dunbar was involved in 2 of the 4 explosive runs. He was washed out of the 24 yd run and didn't have much of a chance from the backside on the 18 yard run.

All in all I think JL played the largest part in the explosive runs out of the LBs, with Tree not far behind, and Dunbar playing fairly well (which is what you'd expect) after a so-so week 1.

A few of my standout plays from the runs for 0 and TFL:

-2nd & 1: Dunbar & Jenks penetrate & miss Rainey in backfield, but slow his momentum allowing Tree and Gaines to tackle him for no gain forcing 3rd and 1.
-1st & 10: Brockers & Quinn hold the LOS on dive. Gaines and JL fill gaps nicely to tackle Rainey for -2.
-1st & 10: Rainey runs left off of the offset I. Hayes makes a great play chasing him down the LOS from the backside for -1.
-1st & 10: Westbrooks gets quick penetration at LE forcing M. James to cut inside where JL fills gap nicely tacking him for no gain.
-1st & 10: 5 down lineman w/Tree lined up right of Quinn. LBs blitz. JL takes on FB, but Dunbar is unblocked making a nice hit on Rainey for -1.
-3rd & 2: Out of shotgun McCown pitches left to Rainey. Bucs can't seal the edge & Quinn tackles Rainey for -2 with some late help from McDonald. I can't believe VJax tried blocking Quinn!!! Lol
-1st & 10: Mankins doesn't have a prayer vs Donald as he EXPLODES off the snap, swimming past him as Rainey runs left out of the offset I. Donald pounds Rainey for -3. Sims had good penetration & Tree came hard backside as well.

Let me just say that Donald was INSANE when he got PT, making the older but savvy vet Mankins look silly on several occasions. He officially had 2 TFLs, but also played a role in forcing another run for no gain.

I think if we can just clean up some of our miscues from last week that we can have a good week (70-110 yds) vs Murray. We held well against AP in week 1, even if we did have TMac coming down frequently. Its just a matter of becoming more CONSISTENT and MINIMIZING those explosive runs. We have so much talent in this front 7 that ANY game could be our breakout game vs the run. I think we can do it and our guys will be up for the task!

Thoughts?

Gary P.

UDFA
Name
Gary
I know our Run D has been a hot topic over through these first 2 weeks of the young season. Let me say that one more time YOUNG season. I think whether positive or negative, some people like to read too much into where their team ranks in overall offensive or defensive categories early in the season. Sure our poor ranking through 2 weeks could be a sign of things to come, OR it could simply 2 outlying weeks by the end of the season. Lets not forget that our Rammies didn't start too hot vs the run last year, and by the end of the season we ranked #9 in rushing yards allowed per game at 102.9.

I decided to go back and re-watch every carry from Bucs RBs last week to see if I could get to the root of the issue. Not to sound too optimistic, but looking back I think the majority of the mistakes we made are CORRECTABLE.

From re-watching the tape it is clear to me that the LBs are at fault on the MAJORITY of the big runs. DL usually puts them in good position to make plays.

I charted 3 kinds of significant yardage I charted out of the 29 carries for 150:

4 runs for no gain

-On 3 of 4 of the explosive runs, JL stays engaged too long w/FB &/or C. On the other run(18 yds), JL is aligned to the right side of the OL over the TE in what the D thought would be a passing down (2nd & 10). JL was unable to reach Rainey until after he shot through the hole.
-Tree got blocked out of 2 of the explosive runs by OL, however taking LT Collins in one of those is a tall task. The other run he was involved in (24 yds), he whiffed at the LOS.
-Dunbar was involved in 2 of the 4 explosive runs. He was washed out of the 24 yd run and didn't have much of a chance from the backside on the 18 yard run.

All in all I think JL played the largest part in the explosive runs out of the LBs, with Tree not far behind, and Dunbar playing fairly well (which is what you'd expect) after a so-so week 1.

-2nd & 1: Dunbar & Jenks penetrate & miss Rainey in backfield, but slow his momentum allowing Tree and Gaines to tackle him for no gain forcing 3rd and 1.
-1st & 10: Brockers & Quinn hold the LOS on dive. Gaines and JL fill gaps nicely to tackle Rainey for -2.
-1st & 10: Rainey runs left off of the offset I. Hayes makes a great play chasing him down the LOS from the backside for -1.
-1st & 10: Westbrooks gets quick penetration at LE forcing M. James to cut inside where JL fills gap nicely tacking him for no gain.
-1st & 10: 5 down lineman w/Tree lined up right of Quinn. LBs blitz. JL takes on FB, but Dunbar is unblocked making a nice hit on Rainey for -1.
-3rd & 2: Out of shotgun McCown pitches left to Rainey. Bucs can't seal the edge & Quinn tackles Rainey for -2 with some late help from McDonald. I can't believe VJax tried blocking Quinn!!! Lol
-1st & 10: Mankins doesn't have a prayer vs Donald as he EXPLODES off the snap, swimming past him as Rainey runs left out of the offset I. Donald pounds Rainey for -3. Sims had good penetration & Tree came hard backside as well.

Let me just say that Donald was INSANE when he got PT, making the older but savvy vet Mankins look silly on several occasions. He officially had 2 TFLs, but also played a role in forcing another run for no gain.

I think if we can just clean up some of our miscues from last week that we can have a good week (70-110 yds) vs Murray. We held well against AP in week 1, even if we did have TMac coming down frequently. Its just a matter of becoming more CONSISTENT and MINIMIZING those explosive runs. We have so much talent in this front 7 that ANY game could be our breakout game vs the run. I think we can do it and our guys will be up for the task!

Thoughts?
I too saw what you saw. The LB's are staying engaged far longer than they can be to make a play on the RB. I do see at times that the D Line is over shooting the play also. The sooner the entire front 7 settle and only do what is required of each of them individually will they gel and play more consistent. The defensive play calls need to become a little less predictable too i believe!

Gary P.

UDFA
Name
Gary
I would also like to give my congrats to Austin Davis. He played very well making many different throws to many recievers. I think he deserves another shot, Hill didnt show me or his team that he can take us to the post season.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

4 runs for no gain

Thoughts?

Well done. Saved me an hour...

So we gave up 91 yards on 4 carries and 59 yards on 25 carries, the difference between the last 7 of last season and this one is we weren't giving up those big plays last year.

Did you chart who the DTs were in the big runs?

fearsomefour

Legend
Good write up and I agree in large part.
The LBs particularly Ogletree couldn't get off blocks week one. It was better week two but not great.
Some of the run blitzes help with stopping the run and also contribute to some big runs....risk and reward.
The tackling has to get better.
Rhaney is a slippery back who would be starting on many teams, but, things do not get easier with Murray.
I agree totally with Donald. He is a difference maker.

Alan

Legend
rams24/7 all about the run D:
Run D stuff.

Thoughts?
As usual at this time of the morning I have no thoughts but fortunately you do. Great job 24/7! :)

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Nice work 24/7 I agree that it is mostly a lack of discipline and fundamentals although that is probably true of most teams that seem to be struggling early. We have the talent to improve AO really has to work on getting off blocks and the LB's as a whole need to stay healthy. I don't even consider rankings through 2 weeks it's just no a tangible stat for me this early. The amount of yards we are giving up on the run and the poor execution at times, on the other hand is an issue that must be improved and I hope it starts this week.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Completely agree.

This is what I see when I watch them. I didn't chart anything but I swear that when I see a runner blowing by to the secondary Ogeltree is either tied up or whiffing on a tackle. Those guys HAVE to play better.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Just FANTASTIC!! ( there is a time for Brevity!)

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So we gave up 91 yards on 4 carries and 59 yards on 25 carries, the difference between the last 7 of last season and this one is we weren't giving up those big plays last year.

Did you chart who the DTs were in the big runs?

On the runs of 18 and 24 I didn't really see the DTs at fault. The culprits for those big runs were JL and Tree not getting off their blocks.

On the other 18 yard run the D was guessing pass on the 2nd and 10 situation as Sims (RE) rushed upfield and Carrington (RDT) made an inside move. Instead the Bucs had the perfect play call with a draw out of the gun to Rainey on the left side. The gaping hole made on the left was big enough for your mother to run through. JL was lined up over the TE on the right so had little chance to get to Rainey before he exploded through the hole.

On the 31 yard run. Langford made a great inside move at the snap, just missing Rainey as he ran by up the middle. Tree and JL get blocked again.

I wouldn't really pin any one of the 4 explosive runs on the DTs, who did well for the majority of the game. Mainly just missed tackled and shedding blocks needs to improve for LBs

Athos

Legend
Donald is crazy crazy with that first step explosion. Guys have no chance.

Agree on the LBs.

Ogletree has looked dreadful against the run. Gashed pretty badly on his side because of an inability to work himself free.

I can't remember, did he have these run deficiencies last season?

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ogletree has looked dreadful against the run. Gashed pretty badly on his side because of an inability to work himself free.

I can't remember, did he have these run deficiencies last season?

Yeah he suffered from the same deficiencies last year. Either he's taking a bad angle or gets completely washed out of the play by the OL. Still I think there's plenty of time for improvement for him and JL. Neither of them are big, strong LBs, but they could minimize their missed tackles, improve their angles, and get off blocks faster.