Run Defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I really enjoyed a convincing ROAD win by our Rammies today, but it doesn't mean they can't improve.

Run D is still a major concern of mine. We haven't really had a good showing against the run since ATL, although JAX was solid (4th quarter was bad). What is troubling to me is we have potential, as evidenced by games from last year like SF & MIN (before AP broke the 2). But we have inconsistencies that allow for gash plays.

Whether its someone overruning a play, making a pathetic tackling attempt (those damn arm & shoulder tackles), or just plain getting washed out; we have just been to darn INCONSISTENT. It just frustrates me when Brock blows up a play, and then the following drive Foster cuts against the grain and Stew overruns the play without even getting a hand on him.

Maybe we need more girth around Brock. I like Tree, but his lack of size and technique lead to blockers locking onto him and washing him out of the play. Quinn can work some too, although he's vastly improved. Are we missing a lurking safety like McDonald (or Mikell last year)?

Or is the problem our coaching? Do all of the zone sets leave us more susceptible to being gashed in the run? Should we run more man? Are the coaches not making the right adjustments?

Idk. After 6 games, this is the one major problem that I've seen, that I see little indication of improvement in. Your thoughts?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Its a major concern of mine.

I'm not sure what's going on. I think we need more blitz... which flies against this topic unless you factor the predictability of the D.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CGI_Ram said:
Its a major concern of mine.

I'm not sure what's going on. I think we need more blitz... which flies against this topic unless you factor the predictability of the D.

Blitzing can be effective if you time it correctly. I guess I would like to see a bit more blitzing vs the run & pass than I have seen so far this year

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
The problems I see in the run defense, is the cutback runs, we just all bite to that side, then it gets a big gain to the other side. But also, the other teams just always seems to have one more blocker than we have a defender for. The SF game, and today I seen alot of that.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Well IMO if our run defense is inadequate because of Ogletree then I'll just take it cuz he is head and shoulders above the rest of our LBs in pass defenseAS A ROOKIE

I've been posting from my phone and can't start threads but IF I COULD I'd have started one asking if Ogletree was our best rook

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
The 2 biggest problems in run D have been over pursuit and inability to shed blocks. Both of which can be corrected with coaching, and I'm confident Fisher will get this fixed. Tree will get better had shedding blocks, as he gets more experience, remember he was a safety first and is still learning some of the nuances of LB.

fearsomefour

Legend
RamBall said:
The 2 biggest problems in run D have been over pursuit and inability to shed blocks. Both of which can be corrected with coaching, and I'm confident Fisher will get this fixed. Tree will get better had shedding blocks, as he gets more experience, remember he was a safety first and is still learning some of the nuances of LB.

Total agreement from me on this. Ogletree has a hard time getting off blocks. But he will get bigger and stronger and improve his technique....natural for a rookie, but, as we saw today this dude can be an exciting player. Langford has struggled with this as well this year, he is commanding zero double teams and usually is having trouble getting off of one on one blocking.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Give credit to Houston's OL and Arian Foster.

They probably have the best run blocking line and top 3 RB.

But yeah after DeMarco Murray and Frank Gore they need to step the hell up.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Meh...

You scream run defense I scream Red Zone defense. Let'em have their FG's! :tooth:

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
mr.stlouis said:
Meh...

You scream run defense I scream Red Zone defense. Let'em have their FG's! :tooth:
Agreed was nice to see our red zone defense step up today but I would still like to see more punts less points

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Rabid Ram said:
mr.stlouis said:
Meh...

Agreed was nice to see our red zone defense step up today but I would still like to see more punts less points
I think Fish agrees in private Rabid and I expect it will improve let's it forget Brockers is still just a second yr guy at a pos. where most stars don't. STAR until yr4 and later.

Once again the YOUNGEST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE playing .500 ball this early in the season........ask an expert.....mid summer "if the youngest team...... " no bias as to WHO nor who the coach is IMO the answer would be. ...SERIOUS reason to be optimistic"

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
It almost seems our RUN D needs to warm up every week. Most of the big runs we give up are usually early on and we seem to clamp down on that as the game goes along. Most teams that struggle with stopping the run traditionally struggle worse as the game develops and the D gets tired. Our D seems to adjust and minimize the gashing plays as they settle in to the task at hand. These early 10, 15, 20 yd gallops are concerning, yes, but they usually come early and don't seem to occur the entire game. Am I right on this perception?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Ramhusker said:
It almost seems our RUN D needs to warm up every week. Most of the big runs we give up are usually early on and we seem to clamp down on that as the game goes along. Most teams that struggle with stopping the run traditionally struggle worse as the game develops and the D gets tired. Our D seems to adjust and minimize the gashing plays as they settle in to the task at hand. These early 10, 15, 20 yd gallops are concerning, yes, but they usually come early and don't seem to occur the entire game. Am I right on this perception?

Yeah and IMO that dive tails nicely withe were young meme
Old guys wear down young guys settle down