Rumors swirl that Rams are pursuing Peyton Manning for front office

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he wants this then make it happen. I'd rather it was an ease in type of thing instead of jump right in. I'm surprised Marshal never did this.

Zero

Pro Bowler
I am a huge Manning fan. I would rank him as the best QB I've ever seen play the position. He'd be an excellent influence to have around the halls.

That said; I would be nervous giving him too much authority without a test drive on some decisions. Not sure how we pull that off.
With you CG.Wouldn't mind him taking on a smaller role in the
organisation.But to give him Elway power,right off the bat,
would make me as nervous as a prostitute in church.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And Peyton Manning knows what about the front office?
I sure hope this isn't true

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He probably knows more than you think he does. Not insulting your intelligence or observations, just saying.
He was a great regular season QB, but that has nothing to do with running day to day operations.
Elway at least worked his way up, handing him a job strictly because he's Peyton Manning doesn't sit well

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And Peyton Manning knows what about the front office?
I sure hope this isn't true

Cone on Dieter, it's not like Manning is going to sign a Canadian Football Quarterback that is well past his prime.;)

Ram65

Legend
I had to look up Elways job description. Elways job is under president and he controls football operations. Elway did work in the area league as Den mentioned. I don't know if Manning wants that workload and responsibility. All those commercials and stuff I kinda got sick of seeing Manning. He doesn't have the history with the Rams either. Oh well, if he comes on board as an advisor to get some experience that could be a good start.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/...hn-elway-executive-v-p-of-football-operations

Denver Broncos Name John Elway Executive V.P. of Football Operations & Joe Ellis Team President
by Tim Lynch@TimLynch1978 Jan 5, 2011, 7:56am MST TWEET SHARE

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Denver Broncos on Wednesday named two-time Super Bowl champion and Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway as Executive Vice President of Football Operations and appointed Joe Ellis as President, Broncos Owner and Chief Executive Officer Pat Bowlen announced.

"John Elway’s leadership, competitiveness and passion for the Denver Broncos will position this team for long-term success through his work leading our football operations," Bowlen said. "John has won championships as both a player and executive, and his experience will be a valuable addition to this franchise. He is the perfect fit for this role, and I am excited to welcome him back to the Denver Broncos."

Bowlen added, "Having worked with Joe Ellis for 16 years, I have the utmost confidence that he is the right person to lead this entire organization as club president. The expertise he has demonstrated on both team and league initiatives will allow him to thrive with the enormous responsibilities that accompany directing a franchise that means so much to this region and its fans."

Elway, who set numerous records with the Broncos during his 16-year playing career (1983-98) and led the Arena Football League’s Colorado Crush to a World Championship in 2005 as its co-owner/CEO, will direct the Broncos’ football operations in his new role. He will oversee the Broncos’ head coach and General Manager Brian Xanders while assisting in the supervision of the club’s football personnel department.

A Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2004 inductee, Elway will have final authority over the Broncos’ football operations and lead the club’s head coaching search. He will report directly to Bowlen and Ellis on all matters involving football operations.

During his playing career with the Broncos, Elway set an NFL record for Super Bowl appearances (5) by a starting quarterback, including back-to-back World Championships following the 1997-98 seasons. He retired with the most wins by a starting quarterback in NFL history (148-82-1, .643), 47 comeback drives (1st in NFL history), 51,475 passing yards (2nd) and 300 touchdown passes (3rd).

Elway spent the 2010 season as a consultant for the Broncos’ marketing initiatives following eight years as co-owner and chief executive officer of the AFL’s Colorado Crush (2002-09). He ran the club’s day-to-day operations beginning with its founding in June 2002, spearheading its football operations and maintaining a presence in all of its marketing and promotional activities.

Named the AFL’s Executive of the Year in 2003 and elected chairman of its executive committee in ’07, Elway also worked closely with Bowlen, who was a one-third owner, during his time with the Crush.

The Broncos’ chief operating officer for the last three years and a 16-year club employee, Ellis will operate atop the Broncos’ management structure and have ultimate responsibility for the organization as team president. His extensive responsibilities with the club’s business operations will include speaking on all matters involving the franchise.

A driving force in the creation of INVESCO Field at Mile High, Ellis also worked as Vice President of Club Administration and Stadium Management for the National Football League before returning to the Broncos for his second stint with the team in 1998.

Team to hold a press conference today at 1:30 p.m. MST at training facility

Longer version on Elway from Broncos website

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/staff/John-Elway/37e10403-2561-4e20-8e5e-bf841f14cf89

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
That melon of his MUST contain all the answers... just look at the size of his forehead.

I've always called him Opie.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
He was a great regular season QB, but that has nothing to do with running day to day operations.
Elway at least worked his way up, handing him a job strictly because he's Peyton Manning doesn't sit well

"If" he decides if, there would be no harm in it, but when you are a franchise owner of pizza joints as well you kind of have an idea how operations work. Now I am not comparing papa johns to actual NFL operations, but wouldn't you think the checks and balances are at least somewhat similar?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"If" he decides if, there would be no harm in it, but when you are a franchise owner of pizza joints as well you kind of have an idea how operations work. Now I am not comparing papa johns to actual NFL operations, but wouldn't you think the checks and balances are at least somewhat similar?
No, not one bit

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most of us have said let him work into a position not just straight turn over the franchise to him. He does have extensive business experience and football knowledge. He just needs to work his way up the chain.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most of us have said let him work into a position not just straight turn over the franchise to him. He does have extensive business experience and football knowledge. He just needs to work his way up the chain.
That isn't "The John Elway" role though
Let him work his way up and then hire him IMO

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I would consider it strongly likely. Between Demoff's press conference notes suggesting we were shaking up the FO and adding additional personnel, to KWebster's sniping of Manning on Snapchat, something's up.

My question then becomes, what happens to Snead? Does he stay on as GM(which I would prefer)? Does he replace the recently fired director of player personnel? What would Manning's role be? As a suggested Elway type, he would be in charge of GM duties, unless we make Manning our new director of player personnel? Where he handles more of the NFL players scouting and snead handles all GM and draft-related responsibilities? Manning does have connections in the league so that could make sense..

So many questions and possibilities :dizzy::dizzy::fuelfire:

Stl2La

Hall of Fame

He was a great QB period lol

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It would be a genius addition.

Success is all about having the right people in the right positions. Adding Payton to the front office isn't about Goff. The Rams right now might only be considering this because of having a young QB, but if they do hire him 5 years from now the true benefit is their front office is smarter, more knowledgeable, more experienced, just better. It goes beyond just Goff IMO.

I always resented how damn smart the 49ers were back in the 80s compared to the Rams. It went all the way up man, to the highest offices of their team administration. We had no chance really, even though the team did play hard and compete.

I am behind this all the way. And btw most GMs don't work for the team they played for. If you look across all sports, it happens sure, but typically it's with another team. Hire this dude. He's a winner who brings Hall of Fame credentials but it's also like having a long time OC as well.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Elway came into Denver and worked with their previous GM (Brian Xanders) before taking the mantle. There's no indication that they're just going to hand Manning the GM job. Rather, my expectation is that he'd be given a title like Elway's (Executive Vice President or something like that) and given significant input on the Rams' direction. Les Snead would continue to do his job.