Rumors flattering, but Schottenheimer says he likes it here

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Jim Thomas
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... eaec2.html

50c2e8c36e805.preview-620.jpg

It’s that time of the year. Brian Schottenheimer’s name was mentioned as a potential head-coaching candidate during last Sunday’s telecast of the Rams-Vikings game.

Schottenheimer, in his first season as Rams offensive coordinator, was flattered by the mention but insists he’s very happy in St. Louis.

“At the end of the day I think I have a great job,” Schottenheimer said. “I work for a great organization. I know I work with the best head coach in the National Football League in Coach (Jeff) Fisher. Got a really young football team that’s building something special, and I’m thrilled to be a part of it ... and hope to be here for a long time.”

Schottenheimer, who was offensive coordinator of the New York Jets the previous six seasons, interviewed for the Jacksonville head-coaching job last offseason, which went to Mike Mularkey.

“I’ve had my name talked about before in the past, and probably there were times where I was really maybe excited if something would happen,” he said. “Again, I love it here.”

Fisher wasn’t surprised to hear the Schottenheimer speculation.

“Well, first off I know Brian’s ready,” Fisher said. “He’s ready to handle the job and he’s capable. I think he’d do a great job at it. Certainly, he’s been around the game for a long time. He’s got a great pedigree, and this is the time of the year when people start throwing names out there.”

If Schottenheimer left, would quarterback Sam Bradford be forced to learn his fourth offensive system in four seasons?

“The system will not change,” Fisher said. “The system will stay the same.”

INJURY UPDATE

Only two players missed practice Thursday for the Rams — cornerback Cortland Finnegan (thigh) and running back Steven Jackson (illness).

Jackson was among three players sent home Wednesday with a virus. The others, defensive end Robert Quinn and cornerback Bradley Fletcher, returned to practice Thursday and were full participation. Although he didn’t practice, Jackson warmed up with the team and watched all of practice, which was held indoors at Rams Park because of the weather.

Linebacker James Laurinaitis (back) and center Scott Wells (knee) had limited participation Thursday after being held out of practice Wednesday.

RAM-BLINGS

Jackson and Laurinaitis were named Rams winners of the NFL Players Association’s PULSE Award for community service. As such, they are candidates for the NFLPA’s league-wide Byron “Whizzer” White Award for community service.

• DT Gary Gibson, who played for the Rams from 2009-11, has 14 tackles and a fumble recovery as a Bucs backup. The Tampa Bay coaching staff includes assistant offensive line coach Steve Loney, who was with the Rams from 2008-11. Bucs DE Adrian Clayborn, who is from Webster Groves High, was placed on injured reserve Sept. 24 with a knee injury.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Re: Rumors flattering, but Schottenheimer says he likes it h

I think Schotty is in a good position. It's kind of like when you have a girl friend - there are always plenty wanting you. He has a job and can hold out for the "right" HC job. And what guy isn't looking for an upgrade if he doesn't plan to be with someone for life? You certainly can't blame him. In the mean time, he'll make sure everyone hears that he is satisfied with the chick he's with.

Now I think there is a certain element of truth in what he says. I do think he likes it here and thinks the franchise is building something special. And still he'd be crazy not to at least try the next best thing if a great offer comes along. I'm sure he is having to coach within Fish's system. He no doubt wants to try his very own.