Rudolph to IR, Nelson Spruce out for 1-2 weeks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stony32

Fan since tickets were $5.50
.but, I'm seriously into measurables

To steal a little bit from "Moneyball", when I see an emphasis on measurables, I see an imperfect understanding of how football games are won.

Measurables are fine for drawing your attention to a player among many, but once the pads are on and the games are being played, the football player in a guy is the only thing that matters. Otherwise, Renaldo Nehemiah would be an NFL HOFer now.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
As of right now he is just another Andrew Helmick. Training camp hero (and I'm sure more than a few of you remember than name, Danny Amendola's prematurely anointed successor)

Make the opening day roster and that'll be a different story. Its the preseason, hype is simply just hype.
SPRUCE GOOSE - Stock rising
Mike Thomas - stocks hammered

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Renaldo Nehemiah would be an NFL HOFer now.
Gotta be able to actually play the game....know whats going on...not afraid of contact...football player first, then look at the measurables...it started with the wr at Dallas years ago....

Stony32

Gotta be able to actually play the game....know whats going on...not afraid of contact...football player first, then look at the measurables...it started with the wr at Dallas years ago....

If you see him as a football player first, and you know what you are looking at, why do you need the measurables?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If you see him as a football player first, and you know what you are looking at, why do you need the measurables?
Because you can be a great "football player" and succeed in high school, but fail in college. You can be a football player & a decent athlete and succeed in college, but FAIL in the pros.....got it? Lots of great football players, couldn't handle the pros...some do, through hard work and dedication...Some great athletes, have done very well in the pros....You continue to draft on upside....look at G-Rob...Look at Goff even...Pros are different...You need superior athletes, at various positions to be successful. Or, you'll be out of a job...
superior athletic ability is an end all, be all...You then need to be consumed by the game...countless hours of film study on your craft...countless hours honing your skills...countless hours taking care of your body(diet & conditioning)
They hold a combine for a reason....There is a reason JJ Watt, Gronk are who they are...Look at Aaron Donald..superior athletic specimen...Best player on team...why??? why??? I'd guess, his speed & power, plus, the work ethic...You put about 10 more of these type of guys out there...then, my son you become a man...oops, movie reference....then you become a contending team...

Stony32

Because you can be a great "football player" and succeed in high school, but fail in college. You can be a football player & a decent athlete and succeed in college, but FAIL in the pros.....got it? Lots of great football players, couldn't handle the pros...some do, through hard work and dedication...Some great athletes, have done very well in the pros....You continue to draft on upside....look at G-Rob...Look at Goff even...Pros are different...You need superior athletes, at various positions to be successful. Or, you'll be out of a job...
superior athletic ability is an end all, be all...You then need to be consumed by the game...countless hours of film study on your craft...countless hours honing your skills...countless hours taking care of your body(diet & conditioning)
They hold a combine for a reason....There is a reason JJ Watt, Gronk are who they are...Look at Aaron Donald..superior athletic specimen...Best player on team...why??? why??? I'd guess, his speed & power, plus, the work ethic...You put about 10 more of these type of guys out there...then, my son you become a man...oops, movie reference....then you become a contending team...

But you can also have great measureables (i.e. be considered a great athlete) and fail in the NFL as well. Happens all the time, especially when you get down below 1st and 2nd round draft picks. But it even happens to those guys, too.

Take a look at this:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/...nt-is-success-to-draft-position/#5e89118a28ea

For my reading of the article, I'm assuming the subject UDFA's didn't have the measurables. Yet, once the game is played on the field, as a group UDFA's generally are as successful or more successful than 4-7 round picks. The combine is flawed. I agree with another poster here who said that the emphasis on measureables is about job security for talent evaluators; as long as scouts can check the boxes, it's not their fault that a player doesn't pan out.

What I'm saying to you is: once a player is here and on the field, t-shirts and shorts measurables no longer matter. Even when they do matter (just around combine and pro day time), it's only to draw your initial attention to a player. After that, you have to know what you're seeing when a guy is playing football in front of you. So, once a guy is in camp, I really don't care if he ran x.xx at the combine. No matter how he got here, either he can do his job better than his competition or he can't.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
What I'm saying to you is: once a player is here and on the field, t-shirts and shorts measurables no longer matter.
Of course....
But all things being equal, and they rarely are....if 2 players are virtually the same, get the bigger, faster, & stronger player....
They say the difference in a 4.4 and a 4.6 after 40 yards is about a foot or 2....typically the length one needs to get beat deep....

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
(Nelson Spruce) Nope. Impact player THIS season. It's so easy to see when you watch him. He's got that certain something. He makes the team, he gets some decent playing time. Done deal.

It's good to see no one arguing with me regarding my bold and specific predictions on Nelson Spruce (That I instantly made after his 2nd catch in the preseason opener).
That can only mean that you believe it too! (y)

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
It's good to see no one arguing with me regarding my bold and specific predictions on Nelson Spruce (That I instantly made after his 2nd catch in the preseason opener).
That can only mean that you believe it too! (y)
:rant:You're so full of crap it's coming out your ears, @BriansRams !!

:unsure:you mean like that?:LOL:....wait. (n) Brian, did you just quote yourself? :redcard:

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If measurables were that important to success, why are so many of the greatest players ever at their position so average physically?

Jerry Rice, Chris Carter, Isaac Bruce?
Or Marino, Montana, Brady?

Skill and intangibles matter so much more than measurables.
- (Says a 5'8" guy who grew up fighting his 6'4" big brother and almost always got his ass kicked but learned that size is an advantage but not as much as people like to believe.)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Take a look at this:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/...nt-is-success-to-draft-position/#5e89118a28ea

For my reading of the article, I'm assuming the subject UDFA's didn't have the measurables. Yet, once the game is played on the field, as a group UDFA's generally are as successful or more successful than 4-7 round picks. The combine is flawed. I agree with another poster here who said that the emphasis on measureables is about job security for talent evaluators; as long as scouts can check the boxes, it's not their fault that a player doesn't pan out.

The stat I would be most concerned with as a GM is the stat on the Pro Bowl players. Rounding the numbers, near 50% are first round picks, 14% are second round picks, and 10% are UDFAs.

What this demonstrates to me is that UDFAs have numbers on their side. If you were to compare total number of UDFAs against how many became Pro Bowlers it would probably be a smaller percentage than any round pick most likely. Why am I confident on that? Because coaches don't hesitate to cut guys who don't come in with draft value attached.

What I find interesting, though, is that most of those 10% that make the Pro Bowl as UDFAs are not elite athletes. The fact that they're the third biggest group shows how important the intangibles are, IMO.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
The only one thing that all the great players had was a great work ethic.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
He may have quoted himself, but AT LEAST he isn't arguing with himself. Pull back the red....make it a yellow:shades:
:argue:What the heck is he talking about, "arguing with himself"?
:argue:THIS. THIS, you dumbass!!
:argue:I'm not arguing with myself. I'm arguing with a big yella' bag of wind!
:argue:Well your momma was a l:neener::neener:ny, and your daddy was bananas:yay:

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
:argue:What the heck is he talking about, "arguing with himself"?
:argue:THIS. THIS, you dumbass!!
:argue:I'm not arguing with myself. I'm arguing with a big yella' bag of wind!
:argue:Well your momma was a l:neener::neener:ny, and your daddy was bananas:yay:

Haha, Roman Snow, I'm glad you and me are on the exact same page regarding Nelson Spruce surviving all of the cuts, and getting some serious playing time throughout the season.
Now, I need to look around and see where I can quote myself some more.