RT McGlinchey out for 49ers (and Staley, of course at LT) [per ESPN]

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
OT McGlinchy is a great run blocker, and probably a near pro bowl level RT. I think he was top 3 run blocker last year.

If Rams can't beat them while they are missing both OTs and their power game FB, the rams don't deserve
much this year beyond 9-7. 3-3= exactly what Bill Parcells says it is: mediocre.

The Rams will win, even without Todd

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wish they had stinking everyone healthy for the Niners...I am TIRED of hearing excuses when we beat them.

TexasRam

Legend
OT McGlinchy is a great run blocker, and probably a near pro bowl level RT. I think he was top 3 run blocker last year.

If Rams can't beat them while they are missing both OTs and their power game FB, the rams don't deserve
much this year beyond 9-7. 3-3= exactly what Bill Parcells says it is: mediocre.

The Rams will win, even without Todd

Fortunately for them Wade Phillips has called the absolute worst games of his career the last two games and Peters is offering free Td’s in the run and pass game at no cost.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Fortunately for them Wade Phillips has called the absolute worst games of his career the last two games and Peters is offering free Td’s in the run and pass game at no cost.

I haven't been crazy about Wades def calls lately either but I think its obvious the problems are mostly with the players just not executing or letting their technique slip and get bad, too much free -lancing and gambling... and it goes beyond Peters imo.

There is waaayyy too much pride on our D, as well as talent for these guys to not tighten it up to respectable.
I still think our D finishes top 10 in pts allowed if our offense can start establishing the run and extending drives.
If the Rams O continues to spin their wheels in the first half, keeping the D on the field and on their heels, I see our D looking like the last 2 games only slightly better

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McGlinchey is a huge loss for them. It's one thing to make up for the loss of Staley. But to have mismatches on both edges is way harder to mask in your gameplanning.

We're going to see a heavy dose of the run game and heavy screens and short pass usage to keep Garoppolo from turning into a football dispenser. If the Rams can stuff the run and avoid 10 yard cushions we'll be in business.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Wade's game planning often has me scratching my head. The 10 yard off coverage gets us killed more often than not. Take the Tampa game for example. Every time we were off a WR by more than 5 yards they would just throw a quick screen and pick up 8-10 yards. This has been a common theme since hes been here.

Also I think the real problem with our defense is the 3-4. We have too many guys on that dline that are 4-3 players including Donald. We don't have that big bodied LB nor do we have the big bodied NT. The rams were suited for the 4-3 and didn't make a ton of personnel changes on that side of the ball to properly make that change. Just my opinion of course

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wade's game planning often has me scratching my head. The 10 yard off coverage gets us killed more often than not. Take the Tampa game for example. Every time we were off a WR by more than 5 yards they would just throw a quick screen and pick up 8-10 yards. This has been a common theme since hes been here.

Also I think the real problem with our defense is the 3-4. We have too many guys on that dline that are 4-3 players including Donald. We don't have that big bodied LB nor do we have the big bodied NT. The rams were suited for the 4-3 and didn't make a ton of personnel changes on that side of the ball to properly make that change. Just my opinion of course
Yeah that cushion drives me out of my mind but the real problem with our secondary is they need to improve in zone where their comms and handoffs with their pattern matching has been terrible. Lot of that has been Peters, who seems to have stretches where he does that and it's why I'm not a fan of his. Also Christian out there due to the Rapp injury hurt us. If the safeties can stay healthy I do think our secondary will rebound going forward and be a plus unit.

Re: Donald note that he plays the exact same role he did before. He's still a 3T and they don't require him to 2 gap. The dude set a record last year in this defense in sacks so it's hard to call it a problem schematically speaking.

Linebacking is what needs to get better in that front seven. Wade doesn't run a fancy scheme, it relies on good and consistent edge rush. This year he's gotten good rush too in a lot of the games, outside of the Tampa game which was terrible. And we're average at best at ILB as a tandem.