Round 6 Pick 25 (201) - WR Bud Sasser

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Total breakdown: Rams draft WR Bud Sasser in sixth round
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...kdown-rams-draft-wr-bud-sasser-in-sixth-round

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- A few quick thoughts on the St. Louis Rams' sixth-round draft pick:

The pick: Bud Sasser, wide receiver, Missouri

My take: The Rams' run of devoting their draft to improving an offense that needs it continues, as Sasser is their sixth consecutive offensive choice to start this draft. Sasser is an intriguing prospect who could come in and push for a roster spot. At 6-foot-2, 210 pounds, he brings the size to be a difference-maker in the red zone and potentially develop into more. He posted 77 catches for 1,003 yards and 12 touchdowns for the Tigers last season despite inconsistent quarterback play. The Rams opted to avoid a dominant receiver class in 2014 and while this one probably isn't as good, they made sure not to be shut out this time around. As it stands, the Rams have Brian Quick, Kenny Britt, Stedman Bailey, Tavon Austin and Chris Givens returning from last year's depth chart. If they keep six, there's an obvious spot for Sasser to make it and he could theoretically push Givens for a spot as well.

Mizzou magic? The Rams struck gold in the sixth round in the 2014 NFL draft when they ventured just down Interstate 70 to take a player from Missouri. That was cornerback E.J. Gaines, who turned into an immediate starter and now figures prominently into the team's long-term defensive plans. Sasser obviously plays a different position but profiles in a similar way as a productive college player who probably didn't get enough credit entering the draft. If the Rams even get half the production they got from Gaines as a rookie, they might need to make drafting a Tiger in Round 6 an annual tradition.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Only big-bodied WR besides Britt if Quick has any set backs or isn't ready to shoulder, pun, starting out of the gate.

Except he's still a rookie that will be learning the playbook which puts him behind guys like Stedman Bailey and Chris Givens. I don't see him starting over Bailey, Britt, Quick, and Austin.

Athos

Legend
Except he's still a rookie that will be learning the playbook which puts him behind guys like Stedman Bailey and Chris Givens. I don't see him starting over Bailey, Britt, Quick, and Austin.

I didn't say he'd start over Bailey, Britt, or Quick. Just that, logically speaking, he'd be the only big body if Quick isn't quite ready. Which, I sure as fuck hope he is.

I can see Givens getting the boot. Terrible on special teams. Terrible hands. And I'm not even convinced he knows the routes 3 years after being drafted.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Never really paid much attention or followed Sasser. But from the highlights I can see a couple very positive attributes. 1) he has very good hands and eye/hand coordination , 2) he seems to have the smarts and subtle moves to get himself open in routes even while being under tight coverage early. and 3) he really seems to work himself open if his QB is in trouble. LOVE that in a WR.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
6 consecutive offensive players for Rams in this draft so far.Hope someone remembers to let Gregg Williams out of his office later. #STLPick

Lmao. I can so picture ol'Gregg locked in a room somewhere trying to beat the door down and screaming bloody murder.
Pacing back and forth mumbling "you're here for a reason because we saw in you and we hope we picked the right person. There may be better athletes, but not defensive football players that have to go into war tomorrow and play the way we fricken play"

lockdnram21

Legend
I think he coukd be a Anquan bolden type player if he improves his route running a little bit. Also it seems he can get separation as long as he doesnt have to go against top cbs

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I feel like he could potentially be a steal for a few reasons:

Body control/hands. The combination of those two are extremely undervalued. Very rarely do you get wide open in the NFL, so you need to be able to catch passes to the back shoulder, or passes that are off the mark with a man in your hip. People say he didn't get separation very often. I would be concerned with that if he played in the pack 12, but he played in the SEC and put up numbers. In fact, he put up better numbers than DGB the year before.

The separation issue I mentioned above is a little miss leading. I watch quite a few mizzou games last year and even when he did get a few steps on the DB, the QB couldn't seem to hit him in stride so he would have to slow down, or he would throw it high forcing him to jump. You can even see this in the highlights.

It will be interesting to watch him. I think he can beat out Givens for that last spot. If he had Givens' speed, this wouldn't even be a debate.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Austin Pettis II?

Exactly my thoughts, except Pettis has better hands and Sasser is better on jump balls. Otherwise, they have the exact same strengths and weaknesses: can't separate, not fast enough, not a good enough route runner to make up for lack of speed, etc.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Never really paid much attention or followed Sasser. But from the highlights I can see a couple very positive attributes. 1) he has very good hands and eye/hand coordination , 2) he seems to have the smarts and subtle moves to get himself open in routes even while being under tight coverage early. and 3) he really seems to work himself open if his QB is in trouble. LOVE that in a WR.

he also seems to know where he is on the field (all the endzone catches are close, but not out of bounds) and seems to run the correct route and be where he's supposed to be regardless of the qb's poorly thrown duck.